Sign in to follow this  
Mad-dog Dion

What I think of Houtghon

Give him another 3 games, if performances haven''t improved I feel like it could be too late if we left it any longer.

Some of his tactics baffle me, Howson on the right? Fer in the hole? 3 CMs? Garrido instead of Olsson?

But the worst tactic of all is to play Alexander Tettey?? What on earth is going on there? He is useless.

HOUGTON has consistently let go of our top goal scorers, Holty, Cody M & big Steve. And now he is thinking of letting Becchio go?!?!

[quote user="Mad-dog Dion"]Give him another 3 games, if performances haven''t improved I feel like it could be too late if we left it any longer.

Some of his tactics baffle me, Howson on the right? Fer in the hole? 3 CMs? Garrido instead of Olsson?

But the worst tactic of all is to play Alexander Tettey?? What on earth is going on there? He is useless.

HOUGTON has consistently let go of our top goal scorers, Holty, Cody M & big Steve. And now he is thinking of letting Becchio go?!?![/quote]Probably a troll but i''ll biteTettey isn''t "useless" as has been proven on the other thread

A bit better. Still only 3/10.

You still haven''t learnt how to misspell his name properly though.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="Mad-dog Dion"]Give him another 3 games, if performances haven''t improved I feel like it could be too late if we left it any longer.

HOUGTON has consistently let go of our top goal scorers, Holty, Cody M & big Steve. And now he is thinking of letting Becchio go?!?![/quote]Probably a troll but i''ll biteTettey isn''t "useless" as has been proven on the other thread [/quote]

Were you at Hull on Saturday? His performance was atrocious, wolfswinkel made so many nice runs off the ball and Tettey was just to slow to release it. Passes backwards and sideways with no cutting edge. his sliced effort on goal after a lovely knockdown by RVW was "useless". I am not a troll, I have feeling you know.

Mad Dog - who is Houghton? If you can''t get his name right it doesn''t say much for the rest of your knowledge.

[quote user="Mad-dog Dion"]

HOUGTON has consistently let go of our top goal scorers...... Cody M  [/quote]Think about it Mad Dog, when did Cody leave the club? Have to say I''m a little disappointed in a number of the efforts made this weekend, expect much better if we lose to Southampton.

"Wolfswinkel made so many nice runs off the ball and Tettey was just to slow to release it. Passes backwards and sideways with no cutting edge."

Not waning to give you further ammunition but there were also a few times when RVW had his back to the defender, pointed (discreetly) to which side to play it and he''d spin off, and Tettey passed it to the other side of the defender. RVW was not best pleased by this simple lack of ability to pass where he wanted it.

Any new manager (last season) and manager with new players needs to be given time to gel. Well, he had all of last season to create a side that stayed up and he did that. But for large parts of the season it looked like he might now. It wasn''t often pretty and the strategy after Christmas nearly imploded. But we stayed up, so credit for that. Now with all the money spent (and maybe more to come) we''re all looking for improvements and they will have to come sharpish. It''s dangerous to base an analysis on one game, but added to last season''s slump the Hull match was a return to the bad old days. So, is this partly the fact that we have a number of new key players who have not yet gelled? Maybe in part. But, there''s this thing with Hughton''s teams which is almost overly thought-through. There''s a plan based around solidity and organisation which delivers a bunch of players who seem to be trying hard to adhere to the system, but who, in doing so, seem to feel constipated when it comes to being themselves: to being creative. Lambert often threw caution to the wind and it was exciting, but nerve-jangling at times. Hughton has tried to button things down, but with increasingly more gifted players seems to lack an ability to set them free within the confines of the system. It''s almost as thought each member of the team is weighed down by this system and their roles in it. One can argue that it''s their inability to play creatively within a system, but I sense it''s also about them being given the inspiration and belief that they can and should go out and win games. That they should get out their and enjoy what they do. It''s not about either or. It''s both, and I sense that the system is suffocating their natural flair, even when things go wrong. They lose their natural instincts to go for it, because they are still trying to play their part in the jigsaw puzzle. Mr Hughton - let them fly a bit!

Long paragraph FCTW, but to paraphrase, what you seem to be saying is ; What on earth is the point of buying creative, dangerous players like Fer, RvW, Hooper and Redmond if you are going to shackle them into sterile negative tactics ?

Allot of you guys are saying ''lets give it a few games'' , which is undeniably fair. On the other hand,(assuming we beat Bury) what if we go to Southampton and nothing changes? How many more chances will Hughton get? I like the guy and I''m rooting for him as many of you seemingly are, but if we go to Southampton and loose convincingly I fear all my hope for Hughton may be gone.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]If we "go to Southampton" and nothing has improved, I really will be worried , G+Y, as that will be on March 15th !

But I get your drift......[/quote]

haha! Rookie error, but yeah my point was clear enough.

It''s an interesting question G+Y . I''m in two minds over CH. On the one hand I have some admiration for him because he has a tactic that he will point to as being ultimately successful, and he seems to be single minded enough to stick to it, come hell or high water.

However, on the other hand he does not seem to be able to grasp the idea that fans expect to see more exciting play, more wins, and more ambition,particularly as he''s whetted their appetite by investing in the likes of Fer and RvW.

I''m rather assuming that the board take the same sort of balanced view, but, as you say, it will be intriguing to see what they and Mc N do if, by Christmas we are mired in the bottom 6, serving up dross.

Let''s hope it doesn''t come to that.

[quote user="ellis206"]So taking off two defensive midfielders for Snodgrass and Elmander is negative tactics is it????

[/quote]

Yea because that made a world of difference didnt it?! Because the formation was still flat and the midfield couldn''t distribute a ball to the front men even if they were standing next to each other!

I heard Hughton on the radio this morning talking about tonights match and talking about the quality that Scunthorpe and Doncaster showed last season! I sometimes think that the words just by-pass his brain!