Sign in to follow this  
Far East Anglian

Last 5 minutes and you need a goal

You seem to be letting sentiment influence your good judgement Reading.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]I can''t help but like the chap.I don''t believe he just "gives up" as people suggest

[/quote]Agreed.

I want him to do well, because he generally is one of the nice guysSometimes in sport you just need to be ruthless howeverIf we did get rid of him... it''s safe to say the Media would destroy the image of NCFC being a "nice club" thoughHughton is well liked across the media and after what happened to him at Newcastle, we would be slaughteredI think he''s gonna prove however, how good he is this season.Top 10.

I think he''s gonna prove however, how good he is this season.

I''m sure we can all agree that we would love to see that.

http://performance.fourfourtwo.com/tactics/hughton-last-5-mins-and-you-need-a-goal

I put these links up the other day. There''s another one where he talks about pressing and when it''s most effective. Having watched Hughton explain pressing with his white board I can only assume that the self appointed coaches on here learnt from their missus and her ironing board...

5 minutes and you need a goal, throw the bloody kitchen sink at them. Get possession at any cost, and pump the ball up as quick as you can. Forget formations, improvise, there''s nothing to lose...

Don''t you have the feeling that he tries to approach even this situation tentatively, as a subtle tactical issue? Tellingly, his presentation is 2 and a half minutes long. I love the guy though...

[quote user="Budapest Canary"]5 minutes and you need a goal, throw the bloody kitchen sink at them. Get possession at any cost, and pump the ball up as quick as you can. Forget formations, improvise, there''s nothing to lose...

Don''t you have the feeling that he tries to approach even this situation tentatively, as a subtle tactical issue? Tellingly, his presentation is 2 and a half minutes long. I love the guy though...[/quote]So glad you are not in charge of our team.

You may have missed my tenure with England, but I have heard managers saying things alongside those lines. Hoots is a great defensive manager, and even his presentation on desperate attacking confirms that.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]I want him to do well, because he generally is one of the nice guysSometimes in sport you just need to be ruthless however

[/quote]

sometimes players need someone to scream in their ear and tell them to get the fuck on with it

i just get the feeling hes not a very good motivator. clearly a good defensive coach, just afriad to take risks going forward and not able to make players really believe in their potential and make them play out of their skin

i cant help but thinking if you let him organise your stag due you would end up in ikea buying furniture for your missus. hes like the grey john major from spitting image. More peas Norma

And what is his plan when it''s the last 60 minutes, you need a goal & you''re playing against 10 men.I know, because I saw it on Saturday.It''s - do virtually nothing for the first 55 minutes of the 60. Then panic because the doing nothing plan isn''t working. Then implement the last 5 minutes and you need a goal plan.

Whilst never the bastion of good taste, one contributior to Canary Call on Sat suggested that while Hughton is a very effective scout, he''s a less effective coach/manager.

There may be something in that, actually. No doubt that the signings of RvW, Fer, Hooper, Redmond , Snoddy etc were inspired, his tactics in using them thus far have been less so.

Last 5 minutes is all about the leaders on the attacking 3rd of the pitch, Saturday you could see we were missing a player like Grant Holt up front or remember Basso forcing home that equaliser vs Everton away. But GH decided to leave and we have to live with it. It takes time for a new frontline to gel and the manager needs time to coach it. We have a new frontline and by the end they were running out of ideas and had lost their shape. You can''t judge the manager now, he needs time to knit the team together.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]Last 5 minutes is all about the leaders on the attacking 3rd of the pitch, Saturday you could see we were missing a player like Grant Holt up front or remember Basso forcing home that equaliser vs Everton away. But GH decided to leave and we have to live with it. It takes time for a new frontline to gel and the manager needs time to coach it. We have a new frontline and by the end they were running out of ideas and had lost their shape. You can''t judge the manager now, he needs time to knit the team together.[/quote]

This. ^^^  There is so intolerance much on here and the refusal to see that we need time for the team to gel with all the new players.   We had a great run last year - and yes we struggled under the pressure of trying to maintain that high standard - but there were glimpses of what is possible.    Hull was difficult for many reasons, not least we had players missing through injuries.    The proof of Hughton''s tenure is not today or next week. It is later in the season as the team builds and improves.  

All this talk of the team needing time to ''gel'' we only had 3 new players starting, i''ve no idea how many Hull had but would gamble it was a lot more, you could als say the same for most of the league.

So don''t you think it''s a valid point JF? Don''t you think the signings are good and will come good? Or do you think we''d have been better off saving the money?

No, not when we are talking about only 3 new players that started saturday and 2 of those played the week before, its a time of the season when every club (baring Arsenal) will have a number of new players and many more than 3. I think they look to be superb signings and well done to the club for getting them in, but if we don''t play to there strenths then they won''t fulfill their potential.

That''s fair enough JF. I would suggest you take a trip to Ladbrokes then. Because if you think such judgements can be made 2 games in you could make a fortune.

It takes time for a new frontline to gel and the manager needs time to coach it. Well

RVW, who was our entire frontline on Saturday, didn''t need much

coaching when he was at Sporting & neither did Hooper at Celtic. They both know where the net & how to put the ball in it.I think you''ll find that what  they need is service & support, not coaching.

What judgements? Ive noticed this in your posts, they always have to have snide dig in them. The only opinions we can have are what we have seen and whats come before. In 2 games we clearly are not suppling RVW with enough amunition, all last season was the same, thats all we can go on.

The proof of Hughton''s tenure is not today or next week. It is later in the season as the team builds and improves.So losing on Saturday, and missing out on 3 of the more achievable points on offer, didn''t really matter because the season hasn''t

really started yet & when it does we''ll be fine.

[quote user="JF"]What judgements? Ive noticed this in your posts, they always have to have snide dig in them. The only opinions we can have are what we have seen and whats come before. In 2 games we clearly are not suppling RVW with enough amunition, all last season was the same, thats all we can go on.[/quote]

I''ve noticed this about your posts too.

Last season was totally different. Different personnel with different strengths. I don''t think you''ve even see 2 games. Probably not even one. Because we should be discussing what we''ve seen rather than what''s gone on before. The players and tactics have been very different this season. The wide players are very important in the system we play to supply RVW. Hughton has already lost 3 wide players this season through injury. Is that not relevant? Should we not consider that when making judgements. Or is it better to keep harping back to last season which has no relevance at all.

Anyone else notice that he forgot which colour counters were his men during that video?

Seeing as we were regularly needing a goal in the last 5 minutes last season (ie one goal away from the point/points and not out of many games), didnt see too much tactically that suggested he was following any of his own advice.

I know Lambert has gone, but he was bold enough to try to effect a change in a game, and to do it early. Its Hughton''s patience that frustrates the most. Having patience is fine if you''re knocking on the door the whole game. But surely part of a managers job is to continually assess a game and decide what to do. Lambert recognised early on when it wasnt working and acted. Hughton seems to keep the faith. Too many times last season we never looked like scoring and he did very little to change it. Lambert got it wrong plenty of times, but at least he tried to change it if it wasnt working. I just think Hughton needs to be bolder, more aggressive and risk losing by a bigger margin.

I think I would have been happier if we''d have lost 3-0 to Hull but we''d fashioned a number of chances which ust didnt go in, than to have lost 1-0 without ever really threatening

I think it''s a bit disingenuous to talk about only having 3 new players on the pitch in a thread about needing a goal, when those new players were RVW, Fer and Redmond, in other words our key players going forwards (the other one at the start on Saturday was Howson playing on the right, Hughton had to put him out of position due to EB''s injury and Snoddy not yet being fully fit).

For me it was painfully obvious that these players haven''t yet gelled as an attacking unit, either with each other or with the rest of our team.  I have high hopes for RVW and Fer to form a good understanding, mainly because they both look classy players, but it will take time.  It doesn''t happen in just a game or two, and pre-season is a limited help.

People saying Hughton was slow to make changes have ignored the fact that he brought on Snoddy at half time and the next 25 minutes was our best spell of the match.

When Elmander came on, I was thinking whether it was the right choice to bring him on or Becchio, but in the end as a manager would you bring on a proven Prem goalscorer, or one who hasn''t yet scored in the Prem ?

I know many posters on here made their minds up against Hughton during last season.  For those, like me, who haven''t, the reality is that it''s too early to judge.