Sign in to follow this  
john in exile in leeds

Why didn't Kenny Foggo play in the top flight ?

With all the negative posts on here at the moment, I thought it would be a good time to distract people with something that I''ve wondered about every now and again for years !

In 71/72, when we got promoted to the top flight for the first time, Kenny Foggo played in all but two league games, and was our top scorer with 13 goals.

Move on to the next season, and he only ever played as sub twice, before being sold to Portsmouth in Jan 73. Why was he not given a chance in the top flight ? Did Ron Saunders not believe he was good enough ? Was it a question of dispensing with wingers ?

I wonder what those of a similar vintage to me remember, and if anyone can shed any light on this ?

Thanks for any views !

[quote user="john in exile in leeds"]With all the negative posts on here at the moment, I thought it would be a good time to distract people with something that I''ve wondered about every now and again for years !

In 71/72, when we got promoted to the top flight for the first time, Kenny Foggo played in all but two league games, and was our top scorer with 13 goals.

Move on to the next season, and he only ever played as sub twice, before being sold to Portsmouth in Jan 73. Why was he not given a chance in the top flight ? Did Ron Saunders not believe he was good enough ? Was it a question of dispensing with wingers ?

I wonder what those of a similar vintage to me remember, and if anyone can shed any light on this ?

Thanks for any views ![/quote]

It was Hughton''s fault.  As a 14 year old he defended for Spurs against Foggo in a friendly match so well,  that Saunders said if he can''t beat a 14 year old no good defender from Spurs...........

Well CH is blamed for everything isn''t he?  [:^)]

The football played under Saunders was pretty dire and I doubt Foggo would have fitted in or been considered good enough at that level.

Agree - complete mystery.
Was very effective in the previous two seasons - so no reason not to give him a chance.
Conspiracy theorists - your cue for entry.

Remember it well - I was there in the South Stand ! And the Pink''un ( paper ) headline which followed - as it was Easter " Hot Cross Bone Day " !

For the first goal, David Cross barged into two defenders in the penalty area, and when the ref blew his whistle, we all booed assuming he''d given them a free kick. Amazed when he gave us a penalty, but that was typical of Malcolm Sinclair of Guildford !

He was never given a chance and even after all these years I still think it was a mistake.I liken it to Worthy''s decision not to play Malky or Ewan when were got promoted. Brave decisions but both turned out to be wrong IMO.

[quote user="john in exile in leeds"]Remember it well - I was there in the South Stand ! And the Pink''un ( paper ) headline which followed - as it was Easter " Hot Cross Bone Day " !

For the first goal, David Cross barged into two defenders in the penalty area, and when the ref blew his whistle, we all booed assuming he''d given them a free kick. Amazed when he gave us a penalty, but that was typical of Malcolm Sinclair of Guildford ![/quote]

At that time Blackpool had some real attacking talent. Mickey Burns was playing and Alan Suddick, and I think Tommy Hutchison was still there. But, as the video shows, the defending left something to be desired...

If my memory serves me right we went into that game not on the most sparkling of form. Still top of the table, but not exactly scoring for fun.
As you say Purple, Blackpool were a very useful attacking side and probably matched us and some for possession, but that day we couldn''t miss. Was in the River End - happy days!