Sign in to follow this  
FatMan Fat

Why I am worried

I am extremely comcerned about the strength of our squad for next year.

Right now it looks like this -

Goalkeepers - Green, Ward, Gallacher, Lewis

Right Back - ? - (Eddy out of contract; Helvig won''t stay/too old)

Centre Backs - Shackell, then we have to perm 2 from Flem (too old?); Doc (not good enough?) Charlton (too old/too short?)

Left Back - Drury, cover from Charlton (too old?) and Brennan (constantly out of favour?)

Right Midfield - Jonsson if he stays, then no cover as MvVeigh going.

Central Midfield - Saffri, assuming he stays fit and also out of trouble; Holt (not good enough according to most people?); Francis (not conmmitted enough for most people and possible on his way?)

Left Midfield - Brennan (constantly out of favour?) - Hucks is not a midfield player.

Strikers - Ashton; Hucks; Leon; Svensson;and for cover - Henderson; Jarvis; Crowe.

Please, please, please tell me I have missed something?

no I agree, the defence and the midfield need major surgery in the
off season, including the squad cover. that''s even hoping we
don''t lose our keeper and any of our strikers. we need to
invest rather than just do some minor surgery.

You haven''t missed anything FatMan.  You''re just bing extremely pessimistic!!  IMO the Doc and Charlie are both good enough for next year.  In the 1st Div do you need "cover" for every player?  Certainly not Premiership quality cover.  Also, you aren''t taking into account summer signings.  We need to sign at least 6 or 7 players

Cheer up and have faith in the club!  We''ll be fine

I agree we need strengthening but many of the comments apply to premier ability ratehr than championship level.  I see little reason why doc will not do a good job with shacks next year for example.

The question is do we get a premier team next season or a promotion winning championship team which is developerd once promotion is attained.  We should go for the former - use the strengths in the squad - and they are better than most people credit - and fine tune by releasing aging/past it/ out of favour players who wuill not be used for younger potential stars.

OTBC 

My view is that the defence will not come under the relentless pressure it has experienced within the Prem. Therefore, the current defensive pool is practically there with Brennan, Charlton, Doc, Edworthy to supplement the incumbants - whilst we look out for a really solid, mobile centre back and right back for the future.

With a great attack the challenge for City is to find the appropriate mix for midfield to create and feed the forwards and support the defence. Other than Hux (not a real midfielder anyway) we are way short - I have become uncertain about Francis in recent times. Jonson I don''t think has anything of much value and Bentley - well, not convinced he can graft.

In the championship, this engine room is where the action needs to be.