Sign in to follow this  
Your mother

Too prudent no ambition ...on the pitch

Nigel,This is about opinions and getting things off my chest. I am not seeking any endorsement or seeking to ensure that my views prevail. As fans, we all have them and there is a broad spectrum of views.I fully resepct your opinion, even though it is different to mine. It doesnt make either of us right or wrong and I very much doubt that there is anything we can do to change each others minds. We are all different and it takes all sorts - is there anything worng with this? I am really frustrated by what I see on the pitch and have been for sometime - this doesnt make me a disloyal supporter and I am finding it hard to reconcile the excitement of summer transfers with what I watched against Hull and Everton. Yes it is early days and I really hope that it is just a question of bedding in, but pre-season wasnt great either and I fear that a pattern is emerging. Time will tell though, and of course, I  will support the team and give them time - I would just rather enjoy the experience though.

You see, there you go again Nigel. Anyone who makes even a constructive criticism of the current regime is accused of tired rabbits, tatty hats and other assorted clichés . I saw nothing in the thread you refer to that was a constructive criticism. The worst was that the starting midfield was a dog''s dinner. I''m perfectly happy to admit that I was not at the KC, but hlistened to the Radio Norfolk commentary, have seen some extended highlights, spoken at length to someone who WAS there etc . The point that several of us are making is to question the wisdom of utilising the same tactics as last season, which as JF quite correctly points out yielded 4 wins in over half a season. That, despite having shelled out a hell of a lot of money on offensive players over the close season.

Indeed, and that pattern that''s emerging has been going on since xmas, its why a majority of self appointed experts in the media have tipped us for relegation. Whats concerning many Fans now is that after bringing in some expensive players nothing appears to have changed, the center forward is still isolated and feeding on scraps, the midfield is flat, cant pass a cold and uncreative and the tempo slower than the village idiot at the pub quiz

I''m still waiting for someone to explain 1) if CH is so bad how come last season he was the second most effective maanger in the League given the financial resources? 2) why they think they know better than an expereinced fully qualified coach

[quote user="T"]I''m still waiting for someone to explain 1) if CH is so bad how come last season he was the second most effective maanger in the League given the financial resources? 2) why they think they know better than an expereinced fully qualified coach[/quote]

Erm, T , isn''t that kind of what the idea of a forum like this is ?

If only fully qualified coaches were allowed to post, then you''d be lucky to get a couple of postings a week.

On your other point, no-one is suggesting that CH did not do well in the first season with limited resources. What may of us feel is that, while such tactics served him well, is not now the time to kick on with something less negative, particularly bearing in mind the summer''s squad additions ?

I''m quite hyappy to discuss my opinion with you Louis and anyone else on here. You seem to think that amounts to me trying to force you to change your opinion. Now why do you have to sidetrack the thread that way? Have I suggested you are a disloyal supporter? Have I even hinted you shouldn''t have an opinion?As I have noted before Louis, you seem to like to get involved in the scuffles that derail threads. Is that because you are unable to sustain a football debate? Or is it because you have to try and be right at all costs?

My point remains that by cherry picking games from last season we are all doing the same thing. It''s not ok just because it backs up your own point of view. The worst period of last season was undoubtedly the beginning. In October we were 4/9 to be relegated. That''s my opinion but it has little relevance. Those who took the 4/9 had their fingers burnt. Because at the end of the season we finished 11th.

T,Yes - 11th with our resources last year was a great achievement. I think you will find though that the anxiety is related to how we got there and the fact that it hasnt been a lot of fun watching what has been served up to us since December last year. No amount of stats will overcome what my eyes see on the pitch.

So are you not concerned at our form and perfomances since xmas Nigel? Genuine question not being funny it''s just that i really am.

[quote user="JF"]So are you not concerned at our form and perfomances since xmas Nigel? Genuine question not being funny it''s just that i really am.[/quote]

No, I''m not. I''m only concerned with this season. Last season we spent a lot of money defensively but the improvement took a while. This season we spent a lot of money offensively but the improvement hasn''t been immediate. I''d rather judge from what I see from Hughton''s team this season than tagging it on to a run of games from last season with some ignored because they don''t fit in.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I''m quite hyappy to discuss my opinion with you Louis and anyone else on here. You seem to think that amounts to me trying to force you to change your opinion. Now why do you have to sidetrack the thread that way? Have I suggested you are a disloyal supporter? Have I even hinted you shouldn''t have an opinion?As I have noted before Louis, you seem to like to get involved in the scuffles that derail threads. Is that because you are unable to sustain a football debate? Or is it because you have to try and be right at all costs?

[/quote]

Louis?

You are of course perfectly entitled to your opinion, Nigel, but your answer to JF''s perfectly reasonable question illustrates many of the misapprehensions which seem to cloud your judgment . For example , you seem to gloss over the fact that our form last season was clearly born of overly negative tactics, and whatever the merits of the new players that have arrived over the summer, all the indications are that it''s going to be business as usual for CH as regards formations, strategies, game plans this season, particularly away from Carrow Rd. The one point that I will agree with you is that we need a little longer to see how it all pans out.

But I really do fail to see how you are not even remotely concerned that the stuff that brought us 4 wins in 23 games is not a cause for concern, particularly as it is evidently what''ll be on offer again this year.

Now if some one asked me who I enjoyed the football under then I think the answer is clear although against top sides I would still say CH so I have some sympathy with this view. I do think CH''s achievements are generally underated last season which is why I''m anti the antis at such an early stage of the season. Of course the point of a forum is for people to express their view but when they vehmently express their view as if they know better than CH when clearly they don''t is not convincing. In particular when people bang on about 442 which hardly anyone plays and then criticizes midfield selection when 2 wingers are out and one is just coming back from injury which is outside of CHs control and then the subs don''t do any better.  My perception as CH has indicated is that we lack quality in midfield and that is primarily a budget issue rather than manager issue as the recent bbc article on the evidence of sacking managers has found. Changing manager will not change the innate quality of the midfield. As CH has also indicated the problem is managing expectations which are unrealitic and also that fans in the UK have a poor undersanding of football compared to countries where there is more of a football coaching culture. . The thing I like about CH is he openly admits the issue is finding the right balance to supply the strikers so it is not as if he disagrees either.

[quote user="T"]I''m still waiting for someone to explain 1) if CH is so bad how come last season he was the second most effective maanger in the League given the financial resources? 2) why they think they know better than an expereinced fully qualified coach[/quote]

The financial figures on which such a definitive assessment can be made are not yet available. Until then it is guesswork.

I''m not concerned Reggie. Last season is irrelevant. By cherry picking games it''s even more irrelevant. Let''s judge it all on this season. If we only have 4 wins in 23 games this season you won''t need to bother about last season. I''m looking forward to it. I have spent my money on my ST and am now relishing the season ahead and the ups and downs it will bring. I''ll be here for the long haul. You can come back after 10, 20 or 30 games and have this conversation. I won''t suddenly post as someone else and pretend I''ve lost my log in details.[;)]

Nigel,As I said earlier - this is just about allowing people to get things off their chests in a non-judgemental way. I am not interested in trying to prove anyone right or wrong. I simply dont share your more optimistic view of what my eyes see, although I really hope that you are right and I perfectly respect the you are entitled to hold this opinion. However, I have never come on to this or any board trying to debate anything - this is more cathartic for me just being able to unload. Lets hope you are right and that that we can shortly all rejoice on the quality of football that will be served up to us when the team gels.

Louis, I''ll ask again because I found it a little offensive that you tried to paint a picture that wasn''t really there ... Have I suggested you are a disloyal supporter? Have I even hinted you shouldn''t have an opinion?

As I have noted before Louis, you seem to like to get involved in the scuffles that derail threads.

Purple when there is more than 90% correlation between relative wages each season it is more than guess work in particular as NCFC was the one club that I allowed for an increase in wages The differentials in the results were so large that the outcome is unlikely to change when the accounts come out.  We know that NCFC had to repay c.20m of debt over the last 2 seasons is a fact not a guess.

Nigel,I have been perfectly respectful towards you and have not accused you of anything, either intentionally or unintentionally. I am sorry that you have been offended.

Louis, just give up mate.

Ignore the bloke, there are plenty of others on here who enjoy bit of banter and get their point across.

This is a damn good message board but I admit I do go fishing for the Lesser Spotted Nigel on occasions and often get a good catch.

I''m teetotal but dear old Nigel would drive me to drink.

I''ve had a lovely day out with the family. Just returned and thought I would scan the board and lo and behold there he is all over it like a rash.

No offence Nigel but please chill

Nooooo!!

Winky too..

Three of them buddied up together. All victims who can''t hold their own discussing football..

Don''t join the victims Louie...

BUDDY[;)]

There you go Louie, as if you needed any further assistance in drawing your own conclusion.

Bury,Thanks for your message, but seriously, I do think it is sometimes helpful if we all stand back and assess what this board is for me.For me, it is simply a barometer of the mood of the fans and a really useful outlet for getting concerns off my chest. However, I really dont think that it should be some form of debating chamber like Parliament where there is a lot of hot air, agression with each side despertaly trying to show they are right. We all have different opinions and I think that is fine, but what really get''s my goat up is this whole concept that there are different classes of supporters and that if you somehow have any anxieties then you are some sort of pant wetting whinger - cue a removed thread.Sometimes I think it would be a good idea if this board split into two separate entities so that natural communities could form - not so that everyone is in agreement, but just so that there is less antagonism. Its a bit like a pub for me. If every time I went to the pub and started getting into fights rather than catching up with the regulars, I would no longer want to go there. Perhaps I am being idealistic, but it seems like it is not really possible to have a coalition of views on this board without lots of name calling etc. Nutty - despite what you may think, this is not personally aimed at you, so please dont keep taking offense at me.

It''s funny how these "victims" prefer to wreck threads and start vendettas rather than discuss our football club. The reason we are supposed to be here...

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Bury,

Sometimes I think it would be a good idea if this board split into two separate entities so that natural communities could form - not so that everyone is in agreement, but just so that there is less antagonism. Its a bit like a pub for me. If every time I went to the pub and started getting into fights rather than catching up with the regulars, I would no longer want to go there. Perhaps I am being idealistic, but it seems like it is not really possible to have a coalition of views on this board without lots of name calling etc.

[/quote]

It is like the pub. It''s a community but online instead of face 2 face. So do you treat the pub as a place to have a rant? Or do you engage in conversations? Do you make friends or just remain in little cliques ignoring everyone else? You don''t half say some strange trhings Louie... but I like ya[:-*]

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Nigel,

I dont see lots of posters wrecking this thread or name calling.
[/quote]

Neither do I. Just a few.