They were rotten.

Summed us up in one tiny sentence.

Good article. Cheers Vlad.

"Hull boss Steve Bruce talked in glowing terms about Norwich in the

run-up to this match - citing their two-year top-flight stay and

increased ambition as a model to be followed at the KC Stadium. The

problem on Saturday was that Hughton approached the game as if they were

equals."

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Interesting to see a neutrals perspective.[/quote]^^^Interesting read.I wouldn''t be surprised if you see a press article from Hughton sometime soon perhaps explaining what forced him into making this decision.

Sums it up really. A team set up with the intention of playing for the 0-0. Such a negative approach got exactly what it deserved again, nothing.

Let''s hope both RvW and Hooper are in the team for Saturday and we are set up with the objective of going for the win against Southampton. Although I wouldn''t include them in the relegation mini-league of Hull, Crystal Palace, Cardiff, Sunderland, Stoke and us, I would have hoped that we have the ambition to go for the win against them.

Interestingly, Southampton demonstrated their ambition to reestablish themselves as a PL team by taking tough decisions last season. I would have thought our board of directors would be looking for greater ambition on the pitch after this summer''s investment as well.

I''m sure Hughton wants to win matches but at the same time doesn''t want to lose them either.   Yesterday was a wake up call to him and the players.  They need to do better.   But there were several players not available or fully fit, so there are extenuating circumstances. 

Lets just put it down to experience and hope for a reaction on Saturday.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]You have to dare to lose to win. We do not dare.[/quote]Someone was listening to Shane Warne yesterday...

"It is not their eventual failure that is so disappointing, but rather

their negative approach to what should have been a very winnable game."This.I put up with some of last season''s dreck in the belief that the riches from staying up would lead to evolution of the team and the style of play, and more ambition away from home.So far all I see is more expensive pegs in the same holes.

Only watched the last 5 mins of cricket.

I read a sport psychology book years ago by a fella called willo railo and Sven goran Eriksson.

They spoke about this a lot. Being brave enough to make "that" pass or take "that" shot. It''s easier to take the easy option.

That''s why I admire Wes. He never hides and always dares.

I try and make decisions based on that quote!

Loved Atherton''s reaction to Warne''s "would England be prepared to risk losing in pursuit of victory" rant. He just let Warne go on and on and,rather than rise to the goading, he maintained a dignified silence. He knew that an Ashes victory spoke for itself. Hughton has a similar quiet dignity. Last year we finished 11th. That speaks for itself. If we are in danger of being cut adrift, McNally will swing the axe, of that I have no doubt. But for now we have 5 or so teams below us after 2 games: a decent draw against a good side and a poor performance and a narrow away loss against pumped up newcomers.

We also only shipped one goal away to a newly promoted side. As opposed to three.

So far all I see is more expensive pegs in the same holes.

Nothing learned from last season, which is the shame of it.

It is not the result against Hull that is causing the anxiety on this board but the lack of any sign of progression from the style of football that we played on that long winless run. This is perhaps harder to accept given the taster of improvement against West Brom and Mn City, together with the squad investment. Of course it is too early to seriously consider Houghton''s position, but the key issue is that early indicators are that we are looking more like the team from the second half of last season and not the first half. Yes, we had a few personnel out, but I really wonder if the result would have been any different with our first choice team. As a few posters have suggested, creativity seems to have been coached out of the team. For me, this is already feeling spookily like Worthy''s time.

This article sums up my view of the game. The midfield line up was negative, disappointing and not worthy of an ambitious premier league side.

When have square pegs ever worked in round holes?

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]It is not the result against Hull that is causing the anxiety on this board but the lack of any sign of progression from the style of football that we played on that long winless run. This is perhaps harder to accept given the taster of improvement against West Brom and Mn City, together with the squad investment. Of course it is too early to seriously consider Houghton''s position, but the key issue is that early indicators are that we are looking more like the team from the second half of last season and not the first half. Yes, we had a few personnel out, but I really wonder if the result would have been any different with our first choice team. As a few posters have suggested, creativity seems to have been coached out of the team. For me, this is already feeling spookily like Worthy''s time.
[/quote]

I thought we were poorest at the start of last season and not the end. The stats would back up that point of view. If our form in the first 6 games had matched that of the last 6 we would have finished 8th.

lake district canary wrote the following post at 2013-08-26 12:34 PM:

But there were several players not available or fully fit, so there are extenuating circumstances.

Agree some, certainly Snoddy, may not have been match fit LDC, but when hoots rambles on about how good the squad is and competition for places, all players should be able to slot in and do a job for the team, assuming they are played in the correct position of course. However if the tactics and game plan are defensive minded, it doesn''t matter who plays from that 25 man squad, the outcome will be the same.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]It is not the result against Hull that is causing the anxiety on this board but the lack of any sign of progression from the style of football that we played on that long winless run. This is perhaps harder to accept given the taster of improvement against West Brom and Mn City, together with the squad investment. Of course it is too early to seriously consider Houghton''s position, but the key issue is that early indicators are that we are looking more like the team from the second half of last season and not the first half. Yes, we had a few personnel out, but I really wonder if the result would have been any different with our first choice team. As a few posters have suggested, creativity seems to have been coached out of the team. For me, this is already feeling spookily like Worthy''s time.
[/quote]

I thought we were poorest at the start of last season and not the end. The stats would back up that point of view. If our form in the first 6 games had matched that of the last 6 we would have finished 8th.

[/quote]

A bit daft, all this cherry picking of six games to prove a point Nigel. If we chose the ones in mid Oct, then we''d be playing Champs League football on the strength of it.

The original point is a fair one. The trouble that many of us have accepting is that despite shelling out , by Norwich standards, a huge amount of dosh over the summer, CH seems determined to continue much in the same vein as last season . Who knows, there may be a Road to Damascus conversion due from him starting at White Hart Ln on 14 Sept, or (more likely) at the Britannia a fortnight later ? But I''m not holding my breath.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote] A bit daft, all this cherry picking of six games to prove a point Nigel. If we chose the ones in mid Oct, then we''d be playing Champs League football on the strength of it. The original point is a fair one. The trouble that many of us have accepting is that despite shelling out , by Norwich standards, a huge amount of dosh over the summer, CH seems determined to continue much in the same vein as last season . Who knows, there may be a Road to Damascus conversion due from him starting at White Hart Ln on 14 Sept, or (more likely) at the Britannia a fortnight later ? But I''m not holding my breath.[/quote]

Spot on. The season is 38 games. I wish a few more posters would accept that cherry picking certain games only paints the picture their attempting to paint.

--- nutty nigel: Spot on. The season is 38 games. I wish a few more posters would accept that cherry picking certain games only paints the picture their attempting to paint.

After a shaky start, the Hoot made his mark in sorting out the defence. Just a shame since christmas our performances have got even more cautious and defensive. Aside from two bizarre games at the end of last season against teams who had nothing to play for.

You ridiculed people for mentioning the Stoke game from last season where we set up like we were playing at the Nou Camp. Said people had already made their minds up before the first away game, the Hoot then plays a similar yellowbelly lineup at Hull.

Can the manager step up his game, or has he peaked?

Agree totally Foghorn . There are many of us who sit somewhere between the kneejerk "CH out !" types, and the likes of Nigel, Lake District, for whom he can do no wrong .

I don''t kid myself that Hughton takes into account anything that''s said on here, but, if he really wants fans to get off his back, then he could at least try to field something a bit less negative and sterile than what was on offer at the KC.

Foggy.. what you, Reggie and Louis seem unable to grasp is that from a season as uneven as last season anybody can cherry pick games to prove any point they want to make. It''s not rocket science. But you carry on pulling rabbits out of last season''s hat somehow convinced that yours are more relevant than mine.

The problem is Nigel that it''s not cherry picking results from certain games is it? Our PL form in this calander year is 4 wins in 23 matches, yes there were a number of draws in there but draws will not keep us in this league. That is a very concerning stat, if the rot is not addressed then it will end with the managers head and none of us wants that, the one thing we all want is him to be succesful cos it means so is the team.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Agree totally Foghorn . There are many of us who sit somewhere between the kneejerk "CH out !" types, and the likes of Nigel, Lake District, for whom he can do no wrong . I don''t kid myself that Hughton takes into account anything that''s said on here, but, if he really wants fans to get off his back, then he could at least try to field something a bit less negative and sterile than what was on offer at the KC.[/quote]

If you read my comments after Saturday''s game it would show how idiotic that statement is. However my comments were about that game and not a game cherry picked from last season. it''s on this thread here http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/2972953/ShowPost.aspx where people who saw the game discuss it rather than pulling tired old rabbits out of tatty old hats.

Perhaps you and foggy would like to offer constructive comments. Assuming you were there.

[quote user="JF"]The problem is Nigel that it''s not cherry picking results from certain games is it? Our PL form in this calander year is 4 wins in 23 matches, yes there were a number of draws in there but draws will not keep us in this league. That is a very concerning stat, if the rot is not addressed then it will end with the managers head and none of us wants that, the one thing we all want is him to be succesful cos it means so is the team.[/quote]

Yes it is.