Sign in to follow this  
NCFC for life 1993-

Justified 'sensible' negativity

A lot of the negativity is justified on this board with many comments being very well put across. I think the reason for the negativity is not a lot has changed tactically and after all the excitement with the summer signings we expected more and i think the new signings expected more with how we were going to play. You only have to look at the comments by past and current players to see how Hughton is very defensive.

Hughton seems intent on sticking to his rigid formations. What I am pleased about is that we have a chief executive who won''t take these poor performances for ever and will change manager if needed.

I think the reaction is perfectly justified. The Hull "performance" was one of the worst i''ve witnessed and what''s worse is Hughton''s comments saying Hull going down to ten men didn''t do Norwich any favours. After that type of "performance" i''d rather have brutal honesty.

I seem to remember having Snodgrass, Pilks, Fer, Bassong and Hooper out, and still managing a draw against a top 6 side. But then I suppose I don''t have your sensible negativity.

What''ll happen if we beat Southampton on Saturday? Will you then have justification for some sensible optimism? I hope so! All this negativity is getting me down.

Exactly. We had 4 shots all game. Don''t think their keeper actually made a save. They had about 65% possession as well as nearly four times as many shots. It''s not the results that anger me it''s the manner of the performance.

[quote user="vlad666"]Exactly. We had 4 shots all game. Don''t think their keeper actually made a save. They had about 65% possession as well as nearly four times as many shots. It''s not the results that anger me it''s the manner of the performance.[/quote]

Heh and still in the finnish football forums the Everton game was touted very exiting game by neutral fans where both teams tried to get a 3 points. But hey if you want to keep sensible negativity classes on, be my guest you will have very dull season where I can enjoy my football with justified sensible realism classes on.

Mate, let''s agree to hold off on the negativity until Southampton, ok? We should (hopefully) have a few players back by then and might see the team gel a bit and be a bit more attacking minded.

If we serve up more drek like we did at Hull then I''ll come back here and accept that some negativity may be justified.

Deal?

Vlad666, that''s garbage:- if we had 4 shots on target at Hull how the hell did they not go in other than from a save? Everton, who we supposedly got a point from in ''daylight robbery'' had about the same as we did vs Hull.

Far too many people are making knee jerk reactions. A certain level of being peed off at our poor play is perfectly reasonable, we should be able to expect them to play well at this level - but the excessive wailing that some are displaying is rather stupid: we lost 1-0 away to anther PL side on Saturday, if you can''t cope with that then football/supporting NCFC is perhaps not for you.

Crystal Canary wrote the following post at 2013-08-27 7:45 PM:

Mate, let''s agree to hold off on the negativity until Southampton, ok? We should (hopefully) have a few players back by then and might see the team gel a bit and be a bit more attacking minded.

What is this few players back by then? On his own admission CH states he has a very good squad and competition for places with quality x2 in all positions, so if someone is unavsilable someone from ''the squad'' comes in - and normality is restored - it is after all a ''team'' game?

It is the tactics and game plan that matter at this level, not who is playing!

You don''t think we''re a better team with Bassong? Pilks would add much more to the attack, as would Hooper if he''s fit.

Do you think we''ll struggle against Southampton?

[quote user="vlad666"]Exactly. We had 4 shots all game. Don''t think their keeper actually made a save. They had about 65% possession as well as nearly four times as many shots. It''s not the results that anger me it''s the manner of the performance.[/quote]

This is how myth''s grow. Absolute nonsense mind you. Hull had very little going forward even before the sending off. Their keeper made two or three really good saves from Redmond and RVW plus a couple very narrowly wide. While at t''other end, apart from the penalty, Ruddy could easily have spent all afternoon in a deck chair.The penalty and sending off were the key points in the game. It gave Hull something to hang on to like many other teams in the past (nb City at Sunderland last year) they managed to cling on to what they had got.

[quote user="Crystal Canary"] What''ll happen if we beat Southampton on Saturday? [/quote]

And what if we put in another abysmal performance and lose?

[quote user="Wazzy van Donkeydangler"]

[quote user="Crystal Canary"] What''ll happen if we beat Southampton on Saturday? [/quote]

And what if we put in another abysmal performance and lose?

[/quote]Cue board meltdown[:D]

The point is, we don''t know. It''s too early to say. The Southampton game will give us a clue on how the season will pan out, but it''s still early doors.

The Hull game was crap. It happens. But it doesn''t necessarily mean we''re in for a mind-crushingly boring season where we struggle for goals and fight relegation. Negativity, at this stage of the season, is not justified imo, especially based on one crap game.

I feel positive, despite the pain of Saturday.

[quote user="Wazzy van Donkeydangler"][quote user="Crystal Canary"] What''ll happen if we beat Southampton on Saturday? [/quote]

And what if we put in another abysmal performance and lose?[/quote]

All this doom and gloom Wazzy, no wonder your donkey dangles.

Get a grip man, shake off these fears and he''ll be well up for Saturday. [:D]

About time we all pulled together. [:$]

FAO Branston and Ricardo. The stats i gave were from the Everton game, which i was asked about in the post above.

But Lapps don''t you think we do all pull together when Saturday comes?

All around me arrive keen as mustard to see our team put on an entertaining display. Whatever the outcome this board is an excellent vehicle. On all message boards there is a vast range of people with their opinions. I just drop in for a short visit every other day or so and find a combination of interest, amusement and frustration.

The Great Mass Debator for example assures me he often comes early on a match day in anticipation of another exciting time and then wonders what all the fuss was about:-(

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Vlad666, that''s garbage:- if we had 4 shots on target at Hull how the hell did they not go in other than from a save? Everton, who we supposedly got a point from in ''daylight robbery'' had about the same as we did vs Hull.

Far too many people are making knee jerk reactions. A certain level of being peed off at our poor play is perfectly reasonable, we should be able to expect them to play well at this level - but the excessive wailing that some are displaying is rather stupid: we lost 1-0 away to anther PL side on Saturday, if you can''t cope with that then football/supporting NCFC is perhaps not for you.[/quote]

If you read my post correctly Branston you will see i said we had 4 shots all game and their keeper never made a save. I didn''t mention anything about on target.

Yes we are already "getting at Hughton" because after an encouraging start against Everton with more positivity i.e. Bennett,Redmond and Whittaker, the Hull game was an immediate return to last year''s boring negative tactics. Once Hull went down to ten men we should have grabbed the initiative but there was clearly no plan or idea of how to achieve this. It seemed that we will just tick over to halftime, have a chat and then do something about it. When we eventually went on all attack, about 20 mins from the end it was far too late, as Hull had settled for massed defence which is difficult to break down.

I do not think the absence of several "better players" would have made a scrap of difference. After all we had some new signings at considerable cost playing and they had little impact. Why - its not so much the players, its the usual tactics etc are not good enough. As most commentators noted, we have no guile.

I went to Hull and do not think that we were boring and negative and had enjoyed the better of the opening minutes of the match. We then had a period of frustratingly giving the ball away and then the penalty and sending off that changed the game. In the second half we tried hard to score throughout but lacked the guile and incisiveness. Even then we had the better of the chances and 13 attempts on goal.

You can legitimately wonder about our inability to break down 10 men (but we won''t be the first or last) but to say that we were simply negative shows a lack of appreciation of the game imo and smacks of a mind "already made up."

[quote user=" Badger"]I went to Hull and do not think that we were boring and negative and had enjoyed the better of the opening minutes of the match. We then had a period of frustratingly giving the ball away and then the penalty and sending off that changed the game. In the second half we tried hard to score throughout but lacked the guile and incisiveness. Even then we had the better of the chances and 13 attempts on goal.

You can legitimately wonder about our inability to break down 10 men (but we won''t be the first or last) but to say that we were simply negative shows a lack of appreciation of the game imo and smacks of a mind "already made up."[/quote]There are a fair few people here that made their mind before a ball was even kicked this season.

It''s true we have good competition for places, but against Hull we only had one winger 100% fit. That forced Hughton to play the 4 CM players. The sending off then forced Hull to pill everyone behind the ball. Hughton tried to change things. He brought on Snoddy at half time, Elmander (a second striker!!!) With 25 mins left and Wes for the last 15 mins. It was clear that we didn''t have the quality to break down an 8 man defensive line! That said, Tettey could have done better on a couple of occasions. It wasn''t so much negative tactics or failing to change anything, but a lack of creativity and quality from our players. Hopefully that will come as the new boys start to gel with the rest of the team.

[quote user="vlad666"]FAO Branston and Ricardo. The stats i gave were from the Everton game, which i was asked about in the post above.[/quote]sorry my mistake.

Judging from the extended highlights it did appear that at least for the remainder of the first half against 10 men we still stuck to two lines of a defensive four. Hughton''s usual preferred line up. This was despite Hull showed little attacking intent. In my humble opinion that is "negativity".

Sorry Vos, it may have appeared that way from the highlights but we were not negative. When we gave the ball away, which was far too often, we got behind the ball - that is just common sense. We weren''t negative at the start and went onto the back foot at some stage during the first half because we kept on giving the ball away. In the second half we dominated possession but only occasionally threatened.

I think that you might legitimately criticise the quality of the performance but to say that it was deliberately negative is not true.

I do not think I said we were deliberately negative and I would accept it would have been better to state that we lacked creativity, guile and attacking quality. My main point is that in the first half when Hull went down to 10 men we seemed to lack any urgency to take the game to them and gain the initiative. We were certainly not positive !!

It seems that whatever Hughton does there will be some on this forum that criticise him.

We have spent a record amount in the close season on strengthening the squad and yet still they moan.

One poor performance does not mean we are relegated.

Lets stay positive and get behind the lads.

A-f*ckin-men someone who gets it. I have been saying this all week. It seems facts on here only apply to sometimes to those that try and say we are wrong to question the way the team goes about its business.
Yes it was a point. But with 2 shots on target against Everton, we were fortunate to have a 100% return rate. This won''t always be the case.