Sign in to follow this  
R Mellie

Need assistance - where to go in Norwich

Hi all

Apologies for the post not particularly related to football (though I support NCFC to the core), but I need a little help from anyone out there with better knowledge of the food & drink scene in Norwich than I.

I have had three months to arrange for a few people to go out in Norwich (city centre''ish) for a few drinks and bite to eat (a simple enough objective) - given the glorious weather we have enjoyed so far, a consensus was in May to find somewhere in the City where we could have a drink at a venue that did some kind of a bbq in a beer garden. Acknowledging that the summer may well be just about over at least weather wise, I''d like to demonstrate at least a modicum of effort on my part if possible.

I have tried googling it, with a view to making a few telephone calls, but either my searching skills are as good as my organisational skills (quite likely), or there is nowhere in the City that does such a thing.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions from you guys, so thanks in advance, and of course OTBC against Bury tonight!!

If

you like real ale,  I often go to the Adam and Eve near the Cathedral when in

Norwich.  Only 10 minutes walk along the river from Carrow Road - has a historic feel to

it and the food is good and you can eat inside or out.  

Hi Vindo,

Not sure when this event you had 3 months to plan is to take place, but if you want a great pub with outstanding food, with a beer garden, then I suggest the King''s Head, Bawburgh, on the outskirts of the city, a mile or two from Colney.

It''s not in the city and will close at normal pub times, so if you are looking for a late one then this is not the place, but otherwise I promise you will be delighted, the head chef is also a big NCFC fan.

The Gardenhouse does a BBQ but is out of the city.

The Plough does a BBQ when the weather is good and has an awesome beer garden.

The Reindeer on Dereham Road has been doing BBQs but not sure if they''re still happening.

The Doghouse often has a BBQ outside but again, not sure if still doing it.

Cheers for all of your help guys, it is much appreciated.  I can start to make a few phone calls now, and hopefully I won''t look like the completely disorganised doofus I was looking like earlier this afternoon...

I''ve had the BBQ at the Gardenhouse and it was decent enough. only a 5 minute walk into the city centre from there.

Your telling me you have had sinse may to organise a group of men and produce something entertaining in Norwich?

Have you ever thought about becoming manager because you seem to fit the bill perfectly.

[quote user="Bert sneakers"]Your telling me you have had sinse may to organise a group of men and produce something entertaining in Norwich?

Have you ever thought about becoming manager because you seem to fit the bill perfectly.[/quote]

Best post all year. Anything to cheer me up as am about to leave for the carra dreading it

[quote user="Bert sneakers"]Your telling me you have had sinse may to organise a group of men and produce something entertaining in Norwich?

Have you ever thought about becoming manager because you seem to fit the bill perfectly.[/quote]Hell yes![:D] [:D] [:D]

Don''t know about the BBQ, but The Belgian Monk for the beer, if yer mates are man enough. Oh, they do good food too.

LDC wrote: ''If you like real ale, I often go to the Adam and Eve near the Cathedral when in Norwich. Only 10 minutes walk along the river from Carrow Road - has a historic feel to it and the food is good and you can eat inside or out.''

LDC isn''t really from around here. If he were he''d state that just about any freehouse in Norwich doesn''t blinking good decent real ales and most will be local.

The Adam & Eve I would say is 15 minutes at a good pace walking. Not a freehouse but owned by a chain, despite being the eldest recorded pub still going in the Fine City.

The list of decent pubs is very good - and many worth a good 20 minute walk to get to from the center.

PitchforksTorches:LDC wrote: ''If you like real ale, I often go to the Adam and Eve near the Cathedral when in Norwich. Only 10 minutes walk along the river from Carrow Road - has a historic feel to it and the food is good and you can eat inside or out.''

LDC isn''t really from around here. If he were he''d state that just about any freehouse in Norwich doesn''t blinking good decent real ales and most will be local.

The Adam & Eve I would say is 15 minutes at a good pace walking. Not a freehouse but owned by a chain, despite being the eldest recorded pub still going in the Fine City.

The list of decent pubs is very good - and many worth a good 20 minute walk to get to from the center

[:D]  Lol.   The Adam and eve is a great pub  -  I''ve been going there since 1973.   It was just a suggestion.  Doesn''t do bbq''s though. 

[quote user="Bert sneakers"]Your telling me you have had sinse may to organise a group of men and produce something entertaining in Norwich? Have you ever thought about becoming manager because you seem to fit the bill perfectly.[/quote]

I am a manager.  In the public sector.  [:$] 

On a serious note, not that being a manager in the public sector isn''t serious, but thanks again for all of the responses.  I was trying to sort something last night before the footie, but in doing so forgot to put my bet on an NCFC win, both teams to score and over 4.5 goals......