the years so to finally witness what turned out to be a goalfest was

indeed a rare treat. It was certainly a different look City side with

Elmander, Olsson, Pilks and Bassong all starting.From the off

the game was played at a good pace and despite the gulf in class it was

soon obvious that Bury had come to give it a real go. Elmander was quick

to show his pedigree with some nice hold up and lay offs while Snoddy

seemed to be coming back to some sort of form. City pressure finally

told after 20 minutes when some quick interplay between Fer and Elmander

gave Olsson the chance to turn and crash a low drive past Lainton.

Snoddy''s run down the right nearly set up Wes then a neat backheel from

Elmander almost did the same for Pilks. The second wasn''t long in coming

and it was Wes who picked out Pilks and the big winger made no mistake

with a powerful drive into the opposite corner.At halftime my

thoughts were that Chris Hughton had done a fine bit of business in

signing Elmander who looked every inch Premier class. Bury hadn''t shown

much first half but certainly stepped it up as the second period began.

Bunn had to make a fine tip over as a rebound off Bassong almost brought

a Bury goal. An unchanged City side now swept forward and cut the

visitors defence to pieces several times without reaping their just

reward. Wes was the instigator with a cute pass inside to Snoddy only

for the shot to drift wide of the far post. The it was Snoddy who set up

Elmander and the big Swede did not disappoint with a deft first touch

and a thumping finish to make it 3-0. Minutes later Pilks almost broke a

post with a thunderous drive from a tight angle.If we thought

it would remain one way traffic we would soon be proved wrong as a brave

Bury throwing caution to the wind stormed back and deservedly pulled a

goal back when a rebound off the bar was bundled in. Within seconds the

three goal cushion was restored when Snoody held up on the bye line cut a

pass back perfectly for Elmander to plunder his second goal of the

night. An undaunted Bury still wouldn''t lie down and as the ball bobbed

about in the City six yard box a big Bury forward nodded in their

second.More City pressure brought a corner and as Bury failed to

clear there was Leroy Fer to turn and whip the ball past Lainton for

number five. Then minutes later a typical Whittaker run ended with a

cracking shot into the far corner for number six. I was beginning to

feel a bit punch drunk by then but we still hadn''t witnessed the goal of

the night. Reindorf won the ball from Bassong all of 35 yards out then

lashed a wickedly powerful drive that swerved past a bemused Bunn. A

truly outrageous goal to cap a really entertaining contest.On

the way out of the ground I heard a voice say "how did we concede three

goals to that lot". Dear oh bloody dear, who''d be a manager, some people

are never going to be happy are they?

Makes a nice change not having to discuss an embarrassing exit to a lower league side!I wasn''t going to go tonight, but glad I did in the end.Totally agree about Elmander, he could prove to be a very astute signing.

elmander reminded me of grant holt in his first 3 seasons for us , bury didn''t hold back with the physical stuff did they and he seemed to really enjoy it. certainly didn''t appear to be the couldn''t give a fu(k journeyman a lot of us had him down for.

To be fair, letting a League 2 outfit put three past us, Hughton will have nightmares.

But, there were 8 of us in our group and EVERYONE enjoyed it, even the kids. They saw 9 goals and had plenty to cheer about.

Even the Bury fans looked like they enjoyed a night out.

We''ve shipped 5 goals in 2 home games. 3 of them against lower league opposition. Thought Houghton was supposed to have sorted the defence? Added to that, a full back is now joint top scorer!! Unbelievable Chris!!

Thanks Ricardo for the report.

This sounds like a game that CH used well with his choice of team designed to help get some up to speed and obvious decision to also use the game for a chance to open our play up a bit, and knowing that with the class he now has at his disposal we could outscore Bury.  

From other comments about the game it sounds like Bassong is a bit away from Premier League match fitness, and for me his return is crucial, do you think he is ready for Saturday from what you witnessed?  

thanks Ricardo! I was quite sure Elmander would turn out to be a good signing. Nice to know he actually performed well yesterday though

Good report Ricardo - it was an entertaining match for sure - the two things that stood out for me are that we do need another strong CB, not because we shipped 3 goals, but Bass looks a long way off full fitness and we need that cover, and we do need that attacking midfielder to play the Wes role. Wes had a good game, but was given much time and space by Bury, but against far better opposition he struggles, and he did give possession away several times again last night which you just cannot do in the prem.

Certainly selection problems for CH this weekend, although injury could force his hand in some defensive positions. But I do see our strongest vp back four as Olsson, Bass, Bennett and Whittaker and could you leave Elmander out - the guy can certainly play that lone striker role and is class.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

Thanks Ricardo for the report.

This sounds like a game that CH used well with his choice of team designed to help get some up to speed and obvious decision to also use the game for a chance to open our play up a bit, and knowing that with the class he now has at his disposal we could outscore Bury.  

From other comments about the game it sounds like Bassong is a bit away from Premier League match fitness, and for me his return is crucial, do you think he is ready for Saturday from what you witnessed?  

[/quote]He got a knock on his knee just before the break and I was surprised to see him play on. I think he certainly needed that full game but whether he plays Saturday I guess you''d better ask CH.

Both Goreham and Forbes on R Norfolk suggested that Bassong was struggling at certain times during the game Ricardo. Was it something he picked up during that match , or not full recovery of the existing problem, do you think ? As Mark said, I too feel that we look a much better proposition with Seb in the side, and was hoping he might be back for Saturday, but now that must be under doubt.

On a more general note, although only Bury, hopefully this will provide some evidence to CH that we can be a threat going forward and he might just be tempted to act accordingly.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Both Goreham and Forbes on R Norfolk suggested that Bassong was struggling at certain times during the game Ricardo. Was it something he picked up during that match , or not full recovery of the existing problem, do you think ? As Mark said, I too feel that we look a much better proposition with Seb in the side, and was hoping he might be back for Saturday, but now that must be under doubt.

On a more general note, although only Bury, hopefully this will provide some evidence to CH that we can be a threat going forward and he might just be tempted to act accordingly.[/quote]He certainly suffered a bad knock just before half time and appeared to be limping slightly in the second half but then again he always seems to have had that limp. Thinking back to last season he often looked crocked at the end of games. I don''t know, but perhaps it''s just the way he walks.IMO we always look better with him than without.