Sign in to follow this  

Seen a few people suggesting Elmander might be worth a start on Saturday, based on last nights performance. Not sure if people mean with the Wolf or instead.

In both league games, commentators were very critical of Wolfie for his lack of touches, implying he didnt offer much to the team, and didnt offer much other than a goal threat. Think that is a little unfair as I think he does put himself about, he''s just got good positional sense and stays where you want him to be. The last two seasons it was so frustrating to see our target man Holt or Morison drift out onto the wing and then cross to noone, or to the big man Hoolahan. I think RVW just stays where we want him to be, ready to pounce.

This made me wonder about Elmander. Most people seem to be praising him for having got himslef into the game. My impression of him having drawn Holt comparisons is that he will drop deep and get himself into the game rather than waiting to be fed.

So was Elmanders performance last night due to his willingness to come get the ball rather than take up a position and wait to be fed? Or was it simply because we were playing inferior opposition.

If our approach to away games is going to be like last season, perhaps Elmander would be more effective, whereas RVW might be most effective at home, where hopefully we''ll be on the forefront.

It does sound like Elmander might be the man to feed the Wolf though. Would we want to play them together in a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1?

If you were going to play just one striker up front in the next game, would you go with the Wolf or the Salamander?

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="morty"]Elmander just behind Wolkie in a 4-4-1-1.[/quote]This.

[/quote]Except spelled correctly of course lol.

Cody....Kei....Elmander................here we go......again![^o)]

morty wrote the following post at 28/08/2013 10:02 AM:

Elmander just behind Wolkie in a 4-4-1-1.

Exactly this.

Is this not where he played in his most successful spell in the Premiership, behind Kevin Davies?

[quote user="morty"]Elmander just behind Wolkie in a 4-4-1-1.[/quote]

I guess it''s fair to say that Elmander will not feature in all our games this season, Morty, and there may well be other roles CH uses him in, other than the one you suggest. But I have to say that Southampton at home is indeed one of the games where such a setup really could pay dividends.

But both these players need good service, and surely that will be key to whether the idea works.

I cant help but smile when I read these types of threads.....just can''t believe how far we have come when we have these options PLUS Hooper (who I really think will be a major player for us) to come back AND we have Becchio on the bench too, a player that only a couple of seasons ago would have been a nailed on starter for us. 

[quote user="Wiz"]Cody....Kei....Elmander................here we go......again![^o)][/quote]Elmander is the only one of them who will be starting alongside Ibrahimovic for Sweden''s world cup qualifiers though.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Thought you said Elmander behind a Wookie [/quote]

[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/1404717d72_thumb_zps740a5453.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/1404717d72_thumb_zps740a5453.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[;)]

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]morty wrote the following post at 28/08/2013 10:02 AM:

Elmander just behind Wolkie in a 4-4-1-1.

Exactly this.

Is this not where he played in his most successful spell in the Premiership, behind Kevin Davies?[/quote]I don''t actually remember much about his spell there. I can''t say Bolton were a team I would have gone out of my way to watch lol.

I thought Elmander looked good last night, easily my man of the match. Granted it was only Bury, but he really looked to get stuck it, and bring other players into the game.

Elmander just happens to be a regular starter for Sweden, and has a very good international scoring record of 19 from 71 games. Can''t see how we can leave him out frankly.

OP I couldn''t agree less re the Holt comments.  And Morison barely played last season and he was lazier than Mr lazy so I can''t imagine he would run round trying to win the ball.

I think that this will happen.  Hughton has already twice tried to play Fer behind Wolfie especially looking for flickons from long balls.  It is a game which suits the Wolf as he can use his speed and skill to move from defenders.   Elmander is as well if not better equipped than Fer for that role and also Fer is better used elsewhere.

It is the Toinoven role and Elmander may have saved us a lot of money.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="Wiz"]Cody....Kei....Elmander................here we go......again![^o)][/quote]Elmander is the only one of them who will be starting alongside Ibrahimovic for Sweden''s world cup qualifiers though.[/quote]

How do Sweden play Ibrahimovic and Elmander? Do they start together, and if so, is it a 4-4-2 or does Elmander play behind Ibrahimovic?

Elamander is clearly the missing link, his vision, awareness, close control and finishing is a class above the rest of the team. He will be able to swap roles with RVW during the game and bring others in. I look forward to a late run from Whittaker into space on the right and smashing another goal in. Thats what my crystal ball is saying for Saturday.

H

[quote user="Jack Flash"]Elmander just happens to be a regular starter for Sweden, and has a very good international scoring record of 19 from 71 games. Can''t see how we can leave him out frankly.[/quote]

I genuinely don''t know the answer to this but anyone know how Elmander and Ibrahimovic are deployed when playing for Sweden?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="Jack Flash"]Elmander just happens to be a regular starter for Sweden, and has a very good international scoring record of 19 from 71 games. Can''t see how we can leave him out frankly.[/quote]

I genuinely don''t know the answer to this but anyone know how Elmander and Ibrahimovic are deployed when playing for Sweden?

[/quote]Ibrahimovic plays behind Elmander

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]
I can remember when Sweden beat England 4-2 it was Elmander who was leading the line and Ibrahimovic had the role behind, although that makes perfect sense when you have a player of that quality because he pretty much played a free role. 

Elmander has played the majority of his games as a straight CF but has played in all of the four forward positions. CH likes versatile players and with Elmander may have found that experienced, clever and still mobile enough forward to fill the SS/AM role and knit that unit together.

[quote user="The New Boy Le Juge"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]
I can remember when Sweden beat England 4-2 it was Elmander who was leading the line and Ibrahimovic had the role behind, although that makes perfect sense when you have a player of that quality because he pretty much played a free role. 

[/quote]

Ibrahimovic has moved deeper.. When Sweden beat France 2-0 in the European Championships last year he played behind Toivonen.in a 4-4-1-1. Usually, though, it seems to be Elmander rather than Toivonen as the lone striker.