Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Saturday's line up - quite a (nice) selection dilemma for Hoot

Given that several of our players coming back to fitness got a good 90 minutes last night. Really hard to call what he will go with and some very tight selection decisions where there appears little between the players vying for a starting birth including:

Martin/Whitaker

Turner/Bennett

Pilks/Redmond

Based on the lats 2 games the only one I would hope is a certainty is that Johnson is dropped. Although i like Bradders he has been awful and we cannot continue to squander possession in the way he has been over the last 2 games. i would also like to see Olsson replace Garrido who has been poor.

I would go with:

Ruddy

Whitaker Turner Bassong Olsson

Fer Howson

Snodgrass Elmander Pilks

RVW

Redmond to come on for Pilks after an hour or so for a half hour cameo.

Fer won''t sit that deep

Mid could be:

Howson

Snoddy Fer Pilks

Elmander RVW

But I doubt Hoots would play Howson as an anchor

All credit to the club''s management for putting us in this position after what I feel has been some excellent business done over the summer. Even aside of the performances to date, this was always going to be the case for CH, that subject to injury he would every week have a "selection dilemma". He had a selection dilemma last season too, BUT it was of a different type, the dilemma being not having the quality or type of player to choose from, hence limited rotation and little on the bench to change matches................this is now at the other end of the scale and I guess every top Manager''s dream.

I just trust he gets it right Saturday as the game will be one of my very occasional Carra Rud visits these days and I really would love to come back to Dubai having witnessed 3 points.....OTBC

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

All credit to the club''s management for putting us in this position after what I feel has been some excellent business done over the summer. Even aside of the performances to date, this was always going to be the case for CH, that subject to injury he would every week have a "selection dilemma". He had a selection dilemma last season too, BUT it was of a different type, the dilemma being not having the quality or type of player to choose from, hence limited rotation and little on the bench to change matches................this is now at the other end of the scale and I guess every top Manager''s dream.

I just trust he gets it right Saturday as the game will be one of my very occasional Carra Rud visits these days and I really would love to come back to Dubai having witnessed 3 points.....OTBC

[/quote]Nail on the head DM.Hope you enjoy the match.  PS - Don''t forget the drink in the Nelson before the match.  Morty''s buying!!  [;)]

@ Jim smith - I would go with the same 11 again.

Johnson''s passing was as wayward last night as at Hull. Howson also didn''t play well on Saturday. So Fer and Tettey in central mid on Saturday.

Pilkington, who was in the match last night , Snodgrass, who likes to push forward and Bassong in for Martin who had a mare on Saturday - and with tactics of going for the win at home against Southampton.

After last night I can see Elmander playing the 10 role on Saturday with RvW ahead.

The dilemmas for me are:

1. Who plays alongside Fer in the Midfield?

2. Who plays wide left?

The back four for me would be Whittaker, Turner, Bassong, Ollsson

I don''t think you can play Howson alongside Fer in a 2 CM pairing.  Leaves too much work for Fer to do defensively and we don''t want him sitting too deep for too long. So for me Tettey or Johnson initially as the holding cm with Fer the ''Roaming'' midfielder.

Pilks had a really good game, but it was his first game back so I would play Redmond wide left. The pace of him and Ollsson will really pin their fullback and right midfielder back.

Snoddy would start wide right.

Snake 

Elmander must be nailed on for a start.I would like also to see Olssen.Probably a central midfield pairing of Tettey and Fer.

I think Pilks is worth a go on the left. Redmond given a rest and used as a sub. Elmander and RVW up front (call it what formation you want) Fer alongside Tettey in the middle.

Back 4 I agree, I don''t care if Bassong wasn''t up to scratch, it was his first senior outing this year and we need him playing. Olsson has to start and i''d say Whittaker is just shading the right back battle at the moment even if i didn''t get carried away with his everton performance like some did. Ruddy back in goal.

*************Ruddy***************

Whits**Turns***Bass***Olsson

Snod***Tetts***Fer*****Pilks

**********Elm*********************

****************RVW**************

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I think Pilks is worth a go on the left. Redmond given a rest and used as a sub. Elmander and RVW up front (call it what formation you want) Fer alongside Tettey in the middle.

Back 4 I agree, I don''t care if Bassong wasn''t up to scratch, it was his first senior outing this year and we need him playing. Olsson has to start and i''d say Whittaker is just shading the right back battle at the moment even if i didn''t get carried away with his everton performance like some did. Ruddy back in goal.

****************RVW**************[/quote]I''d be happy with that[Y]

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I think Pilks is worth a go on the left. Redmond given a rest and used as a sub. Elmander and RVW up front (call it what formation you want) Fer alongside Tettey in the middle.

****************RVW**************[/quote]This for me too !

Imho I agree with most of you guys and would go with your last line up Jim, think you''ve got it spot on. The only dilemma for me is the wingers, Redmond has been superb but if he''s available on the bench and with the ability to play either wing we could see how things are going at half time and then bring him on to replace either Snods or Pilks if either isn''t on top of their game? (given that they''re both just coming back from injury). Tbh I''d be happy with a starting combination of any of those 3... Decisions, decisions!. Living where I do, I''m already getting Saints fans giving it the large that the 3 points are nailed on for them, but that said a few friends who support top 5 teams have disagreed with said Saints fans down my local and think it''s only a matter of time till we kick into gear, and also pointed out that Carrow Rd is a very difficult place to get 3 points - I guess those wins against Man Utd, Arsenal etc have made people sit up and take notice... OTBC

thanks LDC, dont think I will be able to make the Nelson as my Wife has just told me she has treated me to a hospitality ticket. 

[quote user="snake-eyes"]

Isn''t it nice when we all get along? [:P]

[:D]

[/quote]Strangely coincides with us winning, and the resulting lack of whining, knee jerk idiots.[:)]

The key area is the midfield 3 - personally I would go with Fer and Tettey holding with playing behind RvW.

Howson has been Norwich''s best player so far this season and has been at his best when playing behind the striker. RvW and Howson complement each other well, both have clever movement and Howson has the ability to find the pass for RvW.

Tettey has been good in his games, and his passing is much tidier than Johnson who has been as bad as I can remember in the previous games (haven''t seen the game from last night, but have heard his passing was shocking again).

There is an arugment for Elmander to play off RvW due to the strength of his performance last night, but think it would be harsh to drop Howson on the back of 90mins against a League Two club (especially when you consider Elmander was playing a different position).

Would be interested to hear people''s thoughts on Bassong last night though, sounded like he might have been a bit rusty and Saturday might come a little too soon for him.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith. think Pilks is worth a go on the left. Redmond given a rest and used as a sub. Elmander and RVW up front (call it what formation you want) Fer alongside Tettey in the middle.

That''s the team I''d go for too.

Morty, that is a little unfair.

The concerns are genuine and to call people knee jerking idiots does you no favours!

Yes those that were calling for his head were over-reacting, but those that were worried about the style of play being witnessed after what we suffered last season had very valid arguments.

We saw a very entertaining positive game last night that generated a very positive result and a much needed filip.  I hope we get to see more of that in the coming weeks.

Snake

Morty, that is a little unfair.

The concerns are genuine and to call people knee jerking idiots does you no favours!

Yes those that were calling for his head were over-reacting, but those that were worried about the style of play being witnessed after what we suffered last season had very valid arguments.

We saw a very entertaining positive game last night that generated a very positive result and a much needed filip.  I hope we get to see more of that in the coming weeks.

Snake

[/quote]I will stand by my phrase "knee jerking idiots" thanks, yes there are some who have valid points obviously. Most of them strangely scarce since we won last night.Now, I''m not sure what your definition of being a fan or supporter is, but you would have at least thought they would be happy to see their team win?

Elmander''s two goals might have been against League 2 opposition, but this is the same guy who''s last two international goals in World Cup qualifiers were against Austria and Germany.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

The key area is the midfield 3 - personally I would go with Fer and Tettey holding with playing behind RvW.

Howson has been Norwich''s best player so far this season and has been at his best when playing behind the striker. RvW and Howson complement each other well, both have clever movement and Howson has the ability to find the pass for RvW.

Tettey has been good in his games, and his passing is much tidier than Johnson who has been as bad as I can remember in the previous games (haven''t seen the game from last night, but have heard his passing was shocking again).

There is an arugment for Elmander to play off RvW due to the strength of his performance last night, but think it would be harsh to drop Howson on the back of 90mins against a League Two club (especially when you consider Elmander was playing a different position).

Would be interested to hear people''s thoughts on Bassong last night though, sounded like he might have been a bit rusty and Saturday might come a little too soon for him.

[/quote]

It is a tricky one. Howson has been our best player so far and with him and Tettey sitting out last night you''d think that was with a view to them playing on Saturday.

So you''re thinking a midfield of Tettey and Fer with Howson in advance of that. Which I would like to see. I think that''s got potential.

But, despite it only being lowly opposition, Elmander was class last night. He cruised through it and made the game look easy (sign of a good player, of course).

Four players for three places, someone is going to be disappointed. And that''s assuming Hoolahan and Johnson are not in contention to start after a couple of shaky games.

Jimmy, you have a lot of support and I like the look of that team as well, my only reservation being the fitness of Bassong, in which case I would play Martin alongside Turner.

That''s the strongest team ATM with great options on the bench as well, bringing on Redmond to face tiring defenders, wow!

I find it interesting that most posters believe Russ Martin will not be in the starting 11, when I think I''m right in saying he has played every game this season, including all pre season.  There aren''t many, if any, who have played as many minutes as him.  He may not have had his best game against Hull, but who did?

How quickly some of us forget the last ditch blocks he has made this season and it is not by coincidence he has been in the right place at the right time, he obviously reads the game well.

I thought he captained incredibly well against Everton and it was him he was marshalling the defence last night, particularly Olsson, who does have a tendency to drop back, although is still me first choice at LB.

He made some very good overlaps last night, not all spotted or used by the other players, but if given permission can and does make himself an attacking threat.

Seb didn''t look match ready last night but of course the game itself may have altered that.  If Seb plays I still expect to see Russ Martin in the line up, I suspect at CB, after all we brought Whittaker on last night and moved Russ Martin to CB, I suspect the final back four may well be that which finished last night.

But whatever happens, we at least have selection worries, the right ones!  

And that is your right, however it does not really encourage debate.  I assume you are open to debate?

If we go around name calling and personally insulting anyone whose views we disagree with people will stop posting on here and that will be a shame!  I enjoy the different opinions  I get to read on hear.

To me a Fan or Supporter is someone who wishes the best for their team! It does not mean they have to agree with everything that goes on! A great many of your ''Knee Jerking Idiots'' were in the crowd last night and will be on Saturday singing, cheering and urging the team on to win. Just like you! 

To blindly follow and to never disagree is called sycophancy. 

There are ways to criticise and voice opinions, but firing insults is not really the best way to do it!

I thoroughly enjoyed last night as did my 10 year old son!  Would you call him a knee jerking idiot when he spoke to me on Saturday to ask me why we played so badly, much like last season?

Those calling for Hughtons head are but a few and they are fully entitled to their opinion whether you agree with it or not.  This does not in anyway make them less of a supporter if they hold this view.  As long as when it comes to game time they don their shirts or scarfs and cheer for the Yellow and Green Army!  For the record I for one don''t support their view at this time.

We all want what is best for the club, we just have differing opinions of what that is and how we get there!

Snake

It''s really quite revealing to see people banging on about Elmander sitting in the hole.  It shows the lack of knowledge on display.Elmander moaned about his time at Bolton because he was forced into attacking midfield roles.  He sees himself as a striker and scores when he actually plays there.He is not a Wes replacement.

And that is your right, however it does not really encourage debate.  I assume you are open to debate?

If we go around name calling and personally insulting anyone whose views we disagree with people will stop posting on here and that will be a shame!  I enjoy the different opinions  I get to read on hear.

To me a Fan or Supporter is someone who wishes the best for their team! It does not mean they have to agree with everything that goes on! A great many of your ''Knee Jerking Idiots'' were in the crowd last night and will be on Saturday singing, cheering and urging the team on to win. Just like you! 

To blindly follow and to never disagree is called sycophancy. 

There are ways to criticise and voice opinions, but firing insults is not really the best way to do it!

I thoroughly enjoyed last night as did my 10 year old son!  Would you call him a knee jerking idiot when he spoke to me on Saturday to ask me why we played so badly, much like last season?

Those calling for Hughtons head are but a few and they are fully entitled to their opinion whether you agree with it or not.  This does not in anyway make them less of a supporter if they hold this view.  As long as when it comes to game time they don their shirts or scarfs and cheer for the Yellow and Green Army!  For the record I for one don''t support their view at this time.

We all want what is best for the club, we just have differing opinions of what that is and how we get there!

Snake

[/quote]Maybe my idiot filter is slightly better tuned than yours is[;)]I have no problem whatsoever with reasoned debate, based on sensible, well thought out opinions. Perhaps I should stay away from this place when we lose, as I really don''t have much time for the sort of people that crawl out from under their stones when we lose, but mysteriously are nowhere to be seen when we win. I personally wouldn''t call that sort of person a supporter, I have different names for them lol.

[quote user="ref89"]It''s really quite revealing to see people banging on about Elmander sitting in the hole.  It shows the lack of knowledge on display.Elmander moaned about his time at Bolton because he was forced into attacking midfield roles.  He sees himself as a striker and scores when he actually plays there.He is not a Wes replacement.[/quote]He is a few years older now though. I am pretty sure before he signed, he was fairly clear in what role he was likely to play.I wouldn''t complain seeing him as an out and out striker though.