Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Player Ratings

Bunn 7.5- made some good saves and kept the score down.

Cafu 7 linked up with Slnoddy well and looked good at cb

Bassong 5- looked unfit and was given a tough time by the guy that scored a worldy.but job done and 90 mins under belt. Still not ready for saints

Olsson 7.5- oozes class. Good goal, pacey and gets forward. First choice LB.

Snoddy 7- his usual busy self, worked hard and involved in some goals.

Fer 7- gonna be a big player this year. Great touch, big presence. Good to see him in cm rather than CAM.

Pilks 7 - solid return from injury. Linked well with olsson and elmander. Took goal well.

Hoolahan 7- neat link up with elmander. Ball retention better as seemingly had more options to aim at going forward.

Elmander 8- clever player. Works hard and a great touch. More technical than holt. Will CH "dare" play him with the wolf?

Whittaker 7- cracking goal

Redmond - not enough time

Becchio 6 didn''t really get involved much, would''ve loved him to score.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Bugger forgot 2!

Bennett 6.5 - did ok, steady. Didn''t really notice him too much

Johnson 5- poor tonight, passing at times was wayward. Just wish he''d play it simple.[/quote]
Unlikely. Johnson''s favourite pass is a chipped ball over the top of the defence, attempts it at few times every game, and almost always over-hits it 

Do Bennett and Johnson not count CUSDP? ;)

Bunn 6- seemed to be fairly poor for forst two goals and coupe of very nervy moments. Made three pretty good saves though

Martin 7- did well getting forward, didn''t have too much to do defensively. But much improved on Sat.

Bennett 8- he was great first half, did everything right. Before the first goal looked like the only player who knew what was going on.

Bassong 5/6- not his best, clearly no where near full fitness.

Olsson 7- pretty impressive, some good link ups with Pilks, steady defensively,

Fer 6/7- did fairly well, but didn''t command the midfield as much as I''d have thought he would, definitely has e potential to be a very good player for us

Johnson 6/7- too many misplaced passes again. Hughton really needs to tell him to limit these long balls over the top/down the wing, they have about a 1 in 5 success rate...

Snodgrass 7- poor first half I thought, but very good second half. Became more and more dangerous.

Pilks 8- considering he shouldn''t be match fit, did very well. Great goal, could have had two more. Sme decent crossing coming in from left from his and Olsson.

Hoolahan 6- disappointed with him. I love Hoolahan, but have the ball away far more than he should have against Bury. But when he gets it right he''s still dry dangerous.

Elmander 8- Holt and the some. Has strength, good link up play, pretty quick too, good work rate, RVW and Hooper definitely have some competition in this guy based on today.

Subs:

Becchio and Redmond- didn''t really get to do anything much

Whittaker- great goal. Good attacking threat.

Would more or less agree with Gingerpele. Bassong not fully fit and took some pretty tough knocks. Beginning to look a little injury prone to me. Bennett looked very composed and I think I would start with him against the Saints. Elmander appeared more in the Holt style of strikers but I suspect Hughton will not start him with the Wolf.

Hoolahan very disappointing. He had plenty of space and yet time and time he failed to release promptly to others who had taken up attacking positions. Lost possession quite a lot and was regularly muscled off the ball. He was much the same against Everton and I feel he slows us down.

A very entertaining game, helped by the visitors, but difficult to fully assess our performance due to their lowly league status. As to Saturday I would definitely start with Fer, Olsson, Elmander and Pilkington.

[quote user="vos"]

Bennett looked very composed and I think I would start with him against the Saints.

[/quote]

He had a good game but who would you drop out of Whittaker, Martin and Turner?

[quote user="Gingerpele"]

Bunn 6- seemed to be fairly poor for forst two goals and coupe of very nervy moments. Made three pretty good saves

Snodgrass 7- poor first half I thought, but very good second half.

Hoolahan 6- disappointed with him. I love Hoolahan, but have the ball away far more than he should have against Bury. [/quote]

totally agree with you about Bunn. Good reflex save to prevent an own goal, but was caught on his line for the first 2 goals. Would like to have seen him come for the balls when crossed in.

Snodgrass, I thought, did well both halves. We had quite a few attacks down the right first half, which Snoddy was key in.

I am a big fan of Hoolahan, but think 6 was generous. Too many times losing posetion and muscled off the ball a three times. He just looks like he''s not match fit.

Interesting to see CUSDP''s take on Bass for the weekend - it would be a bit concerning if he is missing again. Hopefully he has shaken off the rust tonight, and by the weekend he''ll be raring to go...though who knows, we might have a new signing to go in at the back by then?!

My back 4 would definitely be Russ, Turner (or Ryan B if on the form of late last season!), Bass, Olsson as things stand. A few changes from the first few games and maybe a wee bit harsh on Whittaker, but c''est la vie, this is the PL.

Wow, at times I think I''m watching a different team to some of you. I''d be interested to know how people come up with their player ratings. I would start everyone at 6 and then give them plus points for things like goals, assists, key passes, crucial tackles, blocks, saves, dribbles, runs, beating players, interceptions, closing down, passing accuracy etc; and minus points for defensive errors, goals conceded, red/yellow cards, fouls, incomplete passes, poor positioning, not tracking a man, lack of effort, dwelling on the ball, missing a key pass, inaccurate shooting etc.Conceding 3 goals against a league 2 means we did not do so well defensively. However there was some poor defending from set pieces and I don''t know who lost their man each time (not necessarily defenders). I don''t think Bunn covered himself in glory with a couple of the goals. We did, however, do quite well at the other end so lots of plus points for those involved in the goals...Bunn: 6 - could have done better but made a couple of good saves.Martin: 7 - solid, got forward well, switched to centre back and did ok.Bassong: 7 - not at full fitness and took a couple of knocks but is a class defender and it showed at times.Bennett: 7 - solid, don''t think he did anything wrong, won a few headers.Olsson: 7.5 - caught offside a couple of times but attacked and defended well and with pace. Good goal too.Johnson: 6 - gave the ball away a lot of times, ran around a lot but didn''t really contribute.Fer: 8 - Looked composed on the ball, passed it well, linked well with Wes and deserved his goal.Snodgrass: 8.5 - a little ineffective in the first half but fantastic runs, passes, crosses and how many assists? My MOTMHoolahan: 7 - gave the ball away countless times, brushed off the ball, some poor decisions; then some awesome creative play, incisive passing and two assists. The enigma continues.Pilkington: 7 - played really well for 75 minutes, good goal, always a threat but one bad miss.Elmander: 8 - quality play in the second half, great composure and finishing. Maybe worth a start on Saturday?SubsWhittaker: 7 - well taken goal, looked good going forwards.Becchio: 6.5 - made little impact.Redmond: 6.5 - one good run but no real impact.Maybe take half a point off each of the players who lost their men for the two goals conceded from set pieces.

[quote user="Frank"]

Bunn: 6 - could have done better but made a couple of good saves.[/quote]

His positioning is all wrong for the third Bury goal, being virtually on his goal line. It is a good shot but from that distance should have been saved.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="vos"]

Bennett looked very composed and I think I would start with him against the Saints.

[/quote]

He had a good game but who would you drop out of Whittaker, Martin and Turner?

[/quote]

Good question. Either Martin or Turner. Nothing much in it but with a possible new look defence I think Martin would be the better organiser.