Sign in to follow this  
Skerritt

Redmond or Pilks?

Not sure if their is another post about this but after PIlks heroics tonight, who would you rather see against southhampton?

Redmond has pace and offers a lot of excitement throughout the game whereas Pilks can go missing for a large part of games but can pop up with a moment of brilliance.

Opinions?

Half the reason Garrido came in for so much flack on Saturday is that Redmond left him completely exposed. Pilkington will offer a touch more defensively but Redmond offers a lot more unpredictability. I envisage Redond at home and Pilks away as both can threaten but Redmond has a lot more development ahead of him. Future England starter him!

I think Pilkington atm cos he adds more cover defensively as well. We look more balanced but Redmond is gonna be a top top player, just needs a bit more discipline!

Pilkington is the more complete player at the moment. Redmond is an incredibly talented 19 year old but that is part of the issue, he is only 19 and aspects of his game still need alot of work. Redmond will be on the bench as long as Pilkington/Snodgrass are fit and will make appearances in the final 10-20 minutes or when we need a goal.

Pilkington is still the starter for me.

Redmond is still very raw, and sometimes his decisions cost us going forward and can put us in trouble. Still a great talent and will push Pilks hard

Definitely Pilks.

Today we saw the Lambert era Pilks. Only saw glimpses of that last season. As long as he''s allowed to play as he did today, and can keep up to that standerd, Redmond is going to have to be an impact player. Pilks is pure class. Bit injury prone, sometimes limited by tactics and very inconsistent, but on ''his day'' he''s fantastic.

Pilks played well tonight, and deserves a start on Saturday.But it all depends on where he is with his fitness.

Pilks needs to produce every game. Redmond is a headline writer who will have to be managed but I think he has done nothing wrong in his first two games.

Pilks looked knackered just before he went off and was quiet first half, his delivery is very good and start of second half looked good. I think pilky is not guaranteed to walk into the team,I agree defensively he is good, but we need to play our best team to win on Saturday I would be happy with Redmond starting and pilky coming on later.

I''d go with Pilks for sure on Saturday, keep Redmond up our sleeves. I don''t agree that people are getting at Garrido on the back of how Redmond plays, I just don''t think he is quite as good as some seem to have him...IMO Olsson would be first pick in the starting XI at l/b.

Pilkington is the better player at the moment. Better defensively and more of a threat at the other end.

I''d start at home with Olssen and Pilks, very very exciting combination.

Pilkington if he is fully fit. He keeps the full back busy, and is proven to offer both crosses and goals from the forward left wing position.

Redmond looks dangerous, but very one dimensional so far. Every time he gets the ball he cuts inside and offers very little service to his teammates. RvW may as well get a brew on when Redmond gets hold of the ball. He will be an exceptional player in time.

Pilks. When he is fully fit he is one of the best wide players in the Premier League.Redmond has such a lot to learn particularly with his positional play. He should be used as a sub.

Since Redmond has such pace and is unpredictably explosive on the wing and Pilks is great with both feet and has good tactical nous, why not put Pilks in the hole behind Wolf and Redmond out wide?  Plus, after watching Fer so far, he looks better in CM than in the number 10 role.  So:                                             RuddyWhittaker         Martin                 Bassong         Olsson                            Fer                      Howson        Snodgrass            Pilkington            Redmond                                 van WolfswinkelI know there will be moaners about Wes not being in there.  But I guess I look at Wes as a player who helps us avoid relegation but not the player who leads us into the top 10.  And Pilks is better defensively when we need to shift to 4-5-1.  I think the team above has real attacking intent while being able to be solid when needed.Dont think Hoots will put that team out though....

[quote user="Alfie54"]Redmond for me, I thought Pilks looked well off the pace tonight[/quote]

Did you see the ball he won after starting about 5 yards behind the defender? Off the pace he certainly wasn''t.

redmond on the rightsnodgrass on the left

redmond is right footed and is quicker than snodgrass and pilkington, he should be played on the right wing and encouraged to take the full back on the outside/go past his man/make the space and cross, there wont be many premier league full backs that can keep up with him

hughton has played the wingers in a way that they turn inside every damn time they go forward and its incredibly predictable

snoddy cuts inside whatever wing hes on so stick him out left, and put the redmond out on the right instead of playing him out of position, hes got the ability and the pace but he keeps losing the ball going forward when he cuts inside and running into a wall of centre backs 20 yards outpilks can play either side as well

[quote user="iron_stan"]redmond on the rightsnodgrass on the left

redmond is right footed and is quicker than snodgrass and pilkington, he should be played on the right wing and encouraged to take the full back on the outside/go past his man/make the space and cross, there wont be many premier league full backs that can keep up with him

hughton has played the wingers in a way that they turn inside every damn time they go forward and its incredibly predictable

snoddy cuts inside whatever wing hes on so stick him out left, and put the redmond out on the right instead of playing him out of position, hes got the ability and the pace but he keeps losing the ball going forward when he cuts inside and running into a wall of centre backs 20 yards outpilks can play either side as well[/quote]Get ready for some abuse

well, either way, redmond is quicker and it would make more sense to play him on his natural side and try to skin his man, instead of cutting inside from the left everytime and just running into a wall of defence/deep midfield. play to his strengths

Hope you are right Mr Brownstone, add a fit Hooper to the bench and we have a strong looking team with real options on thee bench.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Pilks with Redmond from the bench.

Reckon it will be Pilks left, Snoddy right, Fer and Tettey central with Elmander in the hole behind RVW.[/quote]

Agreed - think this is what will happen.

Disappointed Johnson has been so poor in the last two games because he was playing really well last season. Howson was poor at Hull as well so that''s why Tettey gets the nod. Still think we could do with an upgrade in the CM position.

Assuming Olssen will be left back for now it has to be Pilks LMF, improve Redmonds defensive awareness and Olssen and Redmond will be a fantastic attacking option for us.