Sign in to follow this  
The Oracle

Back to the Football

How great it is to be able to debate the virtues of Norwich City everyday, Who will we sign? When will Hughton get the sack? How entertaining are we to watch? etc. etc.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion and believe me having been reading this board for the past 3 years there are some very strong ones on here on all manner of subjects, some I find very frustrating others I mildly agree with. Surely this is one of the bueaties of football, there is no right or wrong answer to every question, it is just a matter of opinion amd the right of everyone to open debate.

Now getting back to Norwich City, I believe that we currently have one of the strongest squads in our great clubs history, yes it will take time for new players to gel and for us to get the formation right etc. My main question is how we change the pattern of our play to suit the individuals selected to play, for example, as a league 1 side 4 years ago we adapted to a diamond formation as we were confident in the ability of our players to dominate a game from the centre of the pitch supported by attacking fullbacks who were not worried by the quality of the opposition wingers on to many occassions. Last year we went for the solidity of our back four and holding midfield players and relied heavily on one creative spark in Snodgrass for inspiration. Having now made the signings in the summer to enhance the quality of the team, personally I would like to see us adopt an approach with more width built in to our pattern of play. To achieve this we need to move the ball wide faster and get to the byline to cross for the forward players and midfielders coming into the box.

How would everyone on here prefer us to play, widemen, direct or through the centre?

With a balance of wide-men and through the centre. I think it becomes predictable if you know a team is going to follow one route and easier to plan against.

I wouldn''t however advocate a direct style. I would go so far as to say I would shoot players who didn''t listen and kicked the ball long up to the strikers.

I don''t think we will change the pattern of play that much. Hughton favours a balanced style of football which involves controlling the ball throughout the team, enabling good possession and making it hard for the opponents to have the ball.  So from defence, playing through midfield - wide and centre - with good control, the chances will happen more and the ball will be at the right end of the field more often.  The defence will then be put under pressure less, the football will look better and we will score more goals.  

Quite a simple formula, but I''m sure Hughton would be the first to tell you its easier said than done! But its how it will happen, given time and I am sure he will be given time.  And it is a formula that will give us a style of football we want to see.  

I think our threat from wide is a strength, particularly set pieces, but i do believe we need to have a better option through the middle for when teams successfully stop our wide threat. It would make us less predictable.

Here''s a cricketing analogy, say Shane Warne in his prime bowled an over, first ball was one of them famous massive spin whatever you call them, bamboozles the batsman and he gets out.

Second guy comes in, same bowl, out... great for him you''d say.

Third guy comes in thinks ''i know what he''s likely to do now, i''ll cover that''. Ball comes in, dot ball, batter still in.

He then thinks, ''well if this is what he''ll do all day, i might as well anticipate and smash him down the ground or something''.. 4th ball comes, 4 runs. 5th and 6th balls follow, batter smashes it for 4.

Warne then does the same ball all the next over he bowls, the batter smashes him everywhere.

That applies to our tactics, we must be unpredictable so we can use our strong points when teams don''t expect them to be used. Without a plan B, we are done for.

I''m sure this ties in with some old quote along the lines of ''you are only as strong as your weakest fighter'' in that at least in defensive terms, teams will just punish the weak spot and avoid the strong spot.

The signing of Olsson provides a new threat down the left and i believe the wings should remain our main outlet usually, but we need more invention in the centre for when teams have left it exposed to deal with the wide men.