Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

The dymnamics of a football club

Heavy subject, but its relevant to football in that whenever you get a crowd together, you get a dynamic that is measurable in its intensity - in other words if a crowd is hostile - the atmosphere is unpleasant and everyone knows it.   If a crowd is enjoying itself the atmosphere is more relaxed.  If a crowd is indifferent, the atmosphere is dull.   A nervous or worried crowd creates an atmosphere of fear and dread.   The attitude of the crowd affects the players on the pitch.  It also works the other way round.   If the players are nervous, it will set off nervousness in the crowd.  If they arerelaxed and confident it gives the crowd confidence, etc etc. 

So its a two way process.  My contention is that any kind of negative emotion is bad for a football club.   When things are positive on the pitch - as we had for three years under Lambert - it changes the whole feel of the club.   But the opposite - like under Grant/Roeder when things were going bad - the whole club was a mass of negativity.

I think we should be wary of  our attitude to our present situation.  There is a lot of negative stuff going on about Hughton''s management.  To me its bizarre.  We are in the top league - with still limited funds compared to other clubs. We don''t have a divine right to be here, or even a statistical right to be here.   So why are we so negative?  We should be rejoicing that we are in the top league.   We''ve just bought some exciting new players.  Yet that''s not enough, it seems.   Even before some of those new players have had a chance to shine we are getting a load of negative nonsense from our  supporters about the manager - even though his history suggests he builds and promotes attractive, fluid football.    The work in progress is just that - and we''re only two games in.       What I am seeing develop on this board - and I am told by posters is prevalent in "real life" in Norfolk - is  that the negativity towards the  manager is quite widespread.  But if so, this is out of proportion to what is really happening.   Too many people are getting their knickers in a twist about the football being "negative" or "defensive".   I think we should be careful - because before you know it this negativity will start to eat away at the club and the football on the pitch.  We all know what it is like to feel positive about the football.  But even under Lambert there was a lot of nonsense about some of the players - negativity is never that far away at a football club.    But if too many people are down on the manager - and to my mind he hasn''t had the chance to show us what he is capable of yet as he is still building his team -  then it will spoil what could be an even more spectacular rise than we had in the  three years under Lambert.

Lambert''s job was easy compared to Hughton''s  (please don''t take this sentence out of context).  Going up, promotion etc was fantastic - but the reality is that staying in this division and even becoming a top half team - is the real challenge, now we are here.   Its like climbing a mountain that gets steeper towards the top-  it gets harder, the higher you go.   

So before we get too negative as a group of supporters and start to see that negativity spread through the club - lets give the manager time to build his team - lets be a bit more forgiving at the performances that don''t work while he builds it - and lets trust that Hughton hasn''t changed his view of how to play football just because he''s come to Norwich!     

My memories of last season are the great results and performances. The poor ones I have forgotten (and yes I was at a mixture of those matches).  Please can we forget Hull.  The Everton match was exciting.   There were some exciting matches in the so called bad patch last season.   So come on.  Get excited about Hughton and the team he is building.    Stop dwelling on past failures and harping back to the darker days of 2005-9.  We are in a different era.   Its about time some of  you woke up!

This salutory post has made me face the sad reality that I just cannot reach an acceptable level of optimism. Accordingly I have passed my season ticket on to this chap:

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]This salutory post has made me face the sad reality that I just cannot reach an acceptable level of optimism. Accordingly I have passed my season ticket on to this chap:[/quote]

At least you (apparently) read it, which is more than most people will do![:)]

[quote user="lake district canary"]Heavy subject, but its relevant to football in that whenever you get a crowd together, you get a dynamic that is measurable in its intensity - in other words if a crowd is hostile - the atmosphere is unpleasant and everyone knows it.   If a crowd is enjoying itself the atmosphere is more relaxed.  If a crowd is indifferent, the atmosphere is dull.   A nervous or worried crowd creates an atmosphere of fear and dread.   The attitude of the crowd affects the players on the pitch.  It also works the other way round.   If the players are nervous, it will set off nervousness in the crowd.  If they arerelaxed and confident it gives the crowd confidence, etc etc. 

So its a two way process.  My contention is that any kind of negative emotion is bad for a football club.   When things are positive on the pitch - as we had for three years under Lambert - it changes the whole feel of the club.   But the opposite - like under Grant/Roeder when things were going bad - the whole club was a mass of negativity.

I think we should be wary of  our attitude to our present situation.  There is a lot of negative stuff going on about Hughton''s management.  To me its bizarre.  We are in the top league - with still limited funds compared to other clubs. We don''t have a divine right to be here, or even a statistical right to be here.   So why are we so negative?  We should be rejoicing that we are in the top league.   We''ve just bought some exciting new players.  Yet that''s not enough, it seems.   Even before some of those new players have had a chance to shine we are getting a load of negative nonsense from our  supporters about the manager - even though his history suggests he builds and promotes attractive, fluid football.    The work in progress is just that - and we''re only two games in.       What I am seeing develop on this board - and I am told by posters is prevalent in "real life" in Norfolk - is  that the negativity towards the  manager is quite widespread.  But if so, this is out of proportion to what is really happening.   Too many people are getting their knickers in a twist about the football being "negative" or "defensive".   I think we should be careful - because before you know it this negativity will start to eat away at the club and the football on the pitch.  We all know what it is like to feel positive about the football.  But even under Lambert there was a lot of nonsense about some of the players - negativity is never that far away at a football club.    But if too many people are down on the manager - and to my mind he hasn''t had the chance to show us what he is capable of yet as he is still building his team -  then it will spoil what could be an even more spectacular rise than we had in the  three years under Lambert.

Lambert''s job was easy compared to Hughton''s  (please don''t take this sentence out of context).  Going up, promotion etc was fantastic - but the reality is that staying in this division and even becoming a top half team - is the real challenge, now we are here.   Its like climbing a mountain that gets steeper towards the top-  it gets harder, the higher you go.   

So before we get too negative as a group of supporters and start to see that negativity spread through the club - lets give the manager time to build his team - lets be a bit more forgiving at the performances that don''t work while he builds it - and lets trust that Hughton hasn''t changed his view of how to play football just because he''s come to Norwich!     

My memories of last season are the great results and performances. The poor ones I have forgotten (and yes I was at a mixture of those matches).  Please can we forget Hull.  The Everton match was exciting.   There were some exciting matches in the so called bad patch last season.   So come on.  Get excited about Hughton and the team he is building.    Stop dwelling on past failures and harping back to the darker days of 2005-9.  We are in a different era.   Its about time some of  you woke up!

[/quote]You make me want to kill myself.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]You make me want to kill myself.[/quote]

I was hoping no-one would resurrect this thread. I should have put a health warning at the beginning!    [:S]

I''ve had too much time on my hands the last couple of weeks.   I''ll try to be more concise in future.......

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]This salutory post has made me face the sad reality that I just cannot reach an acceptable level of optimism. Accordingly I have passed my season ticket on to this chap:[/quote]

At least you (apparently) read it, which is more than most people will do![:)]

[/quote]

Not a word. It was just an educated (?) guess on my part...[:P]

[quote user="lake district canary"][:''(] [:''(] [:''(]  (I wish this thread would disappear)[/quote]Be better if the author did. [;)]

Didn''t read it all cos quite honestly time is precious, but your point about the tense crowd affecting players is right, sitting in the stadium last season you could feel the tension every time a pass was misplaced and that must feed into the players minds, making them play the safe pass rather than being brave enough to play the harder ball.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]^ bump[/quote]

Thanks Chops, you made me re-read it and although long winded, it still makes some sense - to me anyway.   Negativity is bad for a football club.  It serves no purpose other than to make things worse for a club.   Peter Grant  followed a successful three years (two good championship seasons and a prem league season.  I know we were already relegated by then, but the downward spiral had started and the finances were in a dire state - and Grant and Roeder got caught up in that spiral.   I''m not saying they would have done any better under different circumstances, but you have to admit Grant came in at a difficult time - things carried on downwards from there.  A negative cycle that took us down and down.  

You can point to all sorts of things,  but negativity on a large scale by many fans - which was there from the 0-6 at Fulham onwards - contributed to an ongoing situation which was affecting the whole club.     Bad finances, negativity in the club - including on the board - led to poor decision making - led to poor football - the fanbase  getting more and more negative  etc etc etc.   

A lot is made of everyone at the club needing to pull in the same direction.  I strongly believe that and it irks me no end when I see unnecessary negative over reaction in fans.    The truth is Hughton is here to stay  - he builds good footballing teams and he just needs time to do it.  We just need to make sure people know it, accept it and let him get on with his job - and offer positive support instead of  undermining him by talk of  "not good enough" etc etc.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Bump....

Drivel should have equal time to more deserving threads, so that we can really appreciate the good ones.[/quote]

Oh no! that''ll mean LDC taking over the front page. [:''(]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Feckin'' Chops[:@]

[/quote]

You get these monster movies where the ravening animal seems to get killed and the survivors all celebrate and the happy music swells up, and then one eyelid of the supposedly dead beast pops open.I don''t know why I thought of that just now...

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]Bump....

Drivel should have equal time to more deserving threads, so that we can really appreciate the good ones.[/quote]

Oh no! that''ll mean LDC taking over the front page. [:''(]

[/quote]

Careful Lapp because, to quote Lakey, he''s 6''4" and a sh*t house. Did I get that right? Possibly I missed something. [:D]

Now as you kind people have taken the trouble to reply on this thread and if you actually read what I have been writing with an open mind and  without resorting to trying to undermine it, you might cast an opinion on the subject which is whether misplaced negativity is bad for a football club especially in present circumstances where negativity about Hughton (unjustifiably imo) has formed quite a large part of this board over the last few weeks?

This thread reminds me of that supply PE teacher every school has; that one teacher where each class he/she has ''control'' over immediately transpires into utter chaos with no hope of revival.

[quote user="Lord Eddard Stark"]This thread reminds me of that supply PE teacher every school has; that one teacher where each class he/she has ''control'' over immediately transpires into utter chaos with no hope of revival.[/quote][:D]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQDKFRpMrbs[/quote]

While you''re her, Til, I just wanted to point out you missed complaining about a non-Norwich related thread this morning.  Couldn''t have been more obvious - it was titled "Bale and Rooney".   Are you slacking?
[/quote]

Not at all but I was out in the real world talking to real people. [H]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQDKFRpMrbs[/quote]

While you''re her, Til, I just wanted to point out you missed complaining about a non-Norwich related thread this morning.  Couldn''t have been more obvious - it was titled "Bale and Rooney".   Are you slacking?

[/quote]

Mr. Tilson, is Lakey accusing you of being Boy George. I knew you should have stopped swaying those hips.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQDKFRpMrbs[/quote]While you''re her, Til, I just wanted to point out you missed complaining about a non-Norwich related thread this morning.  Couldn''t have been more obvious - it was titled "Bale and Rooney".   Are you slacking?[/quote]

Not at all but I was out in the real world talking to real people. [H]

[/quote]Did you bore them to tears too?