Sign in to follow this  
Account Closed

The strongest team of all time in the history of NCFC

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

I would say from the Stringer side that finished fourth that Gunn, Culverhouse, Bowen, Phelan, Townsend, Fleck and Crook would all now (assuming improved levels of fitness etc) be playing in the Premier League. [/quote]

I think you can add Gordon and Linighan to those.

[quote user="Bring back standing at football"]Not sure how you all agree its the strongest team but NOT the strongest management ??

If the management team put this team together then how are they NOT the strongest management team?

Are you saying we should be doing better? Then surely we NOT the strongest team ??

To many people with Paul lambert tattoes in Norfolk[/quote]

Because other factors are involved. Chelsea''s only Champions League title was under di Matteo but I doubt he would be regarded by fans as their strongest ever manager.It is too early to judge Hughton properly but for the moment John Bond, for one, rates as a stronger manager. He took a side that was dead on its feet, playing dreadful football, and by dint of brilliant management, astute use of the transfer market, and the force of his personaity, transformed us into an exciting and generally successful team. Depending on your view he either restored or created our reputation - later lost - for skilful football.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

I would say from the Stringer side that finished fourth that Gunn, Culverhouse, Bowen, Phelan, Townsend, Fleck and Crook would all now (assuming improved levels of fitness etc) be playing in the Premier League. [/quote]

I think you can add Gordon and Linighan to those.

[/quote]

Gawd, yes, nutty. Gordon definitely. A bad omission. And I did wonder about Linighan. Even Butterworth possibly.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Anyone fancy making a best ever Norwich starting 11[/quote]

My hybrid of the present team and past influences going with 4-4-2:

***********************Ruddy*****************

Naughton****Bruce****Bassong****Bowen

Snodgrass***Crook****Fer**********Hucks

************Sutton*******Ashton*************

Unlucky absentees include:

Eadie, Snodgrass, RVW

Sentiment aside, I am going on how they would be valued in the market. The likes of Drury, Hoolahan, Holt and Dublin are stalwarts but would not attract the top european sides to their signatures like the above guys would.

No doubt there are plenty of people i have missed out e.g. i bet there is a better right back.

I can account for the last 20 years (just squeezing Bruce in although in all likelihood i think he''d left by the time I was an active fan.

My favourite Norwich team from my time as a fan was the one we had in our first year back in the Premiership.

Holty and Wes epitomised what that team was about.We had a god side which was  managed by a superb management team.

That''s the other way of looking at it, include influence and sentiment, it''s almost an entirely different team:

********************Gunn******************

Edworthy**Fleming***Bassong***Drury

Fox******Holt**********Hoolahan**Hucks

**************Holt*****Sutton**************

Probably the strongest, but most other teams have improved beyond measure also, so in relative terms we may expect to be only a little improved realtively. For this improvement we may thank Sky money and the influx of foreign players, although Gavin and Bobby Brennan were Irish, I recall.

There have been times when we have been good in recent years - last October we beat Arsenal, Tottenham and Manure and, if they belittled us, they were trying. There''s a real sense of failure if we beat them! In other games last season we were poor - we missed Ruddy and Bassong at times. Now we have added some excellent players, and also disposed or some not so good. There is no doubt in my own mind that this year''s squad ought to be much better when they have settled down. and learned each other''s games.

This season we have already suffered the loss of Benno. Let''s hope that there are no more such serious injuries, and then we can show how good we are.

When you look at the names on paper it is really mouth watering. It should be the best, most attractive and potentially most potent team we have witnessed at Norwich. And that is why there has been such a reaction to the Hull game,  many previous managers have turned sow''s ears into silk purses. We have never until now had that silk purse to start with. How Hughton deals with that is the key and there is no reason for failure or negativity anymore- we shouldn''t be a plucky lower level minnow, but now able to compete on equal terms with those who a couple of seasons back we were aspiring to be (I am talking the Stokes, Newcastles, Sunderlands, Fulhams now). Hughton has had 40 league games, most of the first 38 of which you could argue were pretty poor and sterile as he battled for survival and securer foundations. However, and it is a big however, the PL and old First Division is littered with examples of players both foreign and home grown who have not delieverd or fulfilled their promise. Signing good names does not guarantee success but it can certainly help towards that goal. Hughton will be the difference- he has the best raw materials seen at CR in my opinion and while we may still lose more than we win, we should expect a bolder, more creative, fluid and dare I say it entertaining team. Oh, and one capable of not letting a league two side have more possession than us away from their home in a  cup on a Tuesday evening. So, can CH turn a great list of names into a great team? Time will tell.