Sign in to follow this  
Account Closed

The strongest team of all time in the history of NCFC

Do you regard  the current Norwich team the strongest of all time in it''s history?Of course I do not mean the most successful but strongest comparatively, with respect to their footballing competition.Is the supporters  level of justifiable expectation to do well also the strongest of all time in it''s history? The team would include the manager and backroom staff as well  as the players.My memories go as far back as Johnny Gavin (just) but excludes ''The Nest'' and my view is that this is indeed the strongest and most excitingly skillful team of Canaries in all my memories. Tactically not the most attractive but the judgement on that is still in its infancy.

Interesting question.You could wager that the season we finished third in the Premiership in 92-93 was our crowning glory. And lets face it, we will NEVER finish in that kind of position again (unless Financial fair play actually does what its meant to do)But given that over the seasons in between the Premiership has come on in leaps and bounds, its quite difficult to make direct comparisons.All that said, I am very happy with the sort of quality we have just now.

It''s a really difficult question to answer. Everybody says that the league is much stronger now then it was in 92-94 but I''m not so sure. It probably is, but the league is also weaker now then it was in the early 2000''s in my opinion. 
There are at least three or four players from 93 that I think would still walk into our team, Ruel Fox and Mark Bowen for definite. 

Strongest squad? Yes, seems like it and by a mile.

Not sure about team if you know what I mean.

Besides the current "team" have hardly played enough together in any case with the Winkle, Fer, Hooper, Redmond etc. being so new to the Club.

I don''t think it''s a very difficult question at all. Football, and the Premiership in particular is much stronger all round than in the year we finished third.IMO based on 60 years of watching Norwich City, this is by far the strongest line up we have ever had the good fortune to see in the Yellow and Green.

Comparing the Premiership today to 20 years ago, when we finished 3rd ,is almost like comparing different sports.

On the first day of the Premier League back in August 1992, there were TWELVE foreign players that were in the starting XI''s that day.

I don''t think it would be unreasonable to assume that with the amount of foreign players in the league today barring obvious execptions, such as the likes of Sutton,Fox,Bowen or Gunn, most of our players from that era would be the equivilent of Championship level today?

[quote user="Surfbird"]Without doubt by far the strongest team and management ever and like Ricardo I can go back over 60 years.[/quote]
Ken Brown, Dave Stringer, Paul Lambert? Those managers achieved some incredible things. Add Mike Walker to that really. How can you give this bunch the accolade of the strongest management team ever? That''s ridiculous. They are probably the biggest spenders in real time in our history. Hughton has been given the biggest backing of any manager in our top flight history in real/relative terms. We are two games into a season having spent £14m on strikers and probably £40m+ in transfer fees in his 15 months at the club. He has it all to prove, he has the opportunity to achieve something great, but to refer to Hughton, Calderwood and Trollope as "by far the strongest" + "ever" is just stupid.
I was thinking more like give them 12 games to show that they haven''t blown our Premier League riches or give them the chop and let another manager have a go. 
The op is an interesting question though. All what really matters is relativity, the team will be remembered if they achieve something, largely forgotten if they don''t. 
Means nothing if we don''t break the top six once or twice, or win a cup, or have a little run in Europe. If we grab a few mid-table finishes and then return to the second tier then ''wow'', I look forward to telling all my grandparents about that world class Dutch striker who scored 11 goals on route to our extraordinary 10th place (technically top half of the table) finish. They can be remembered as greats when they do something great, not a moment sooner. 

Strongest team?  If you''re talking about this season, I think this is a question that has to be asked after they have achieved something as a group.   On paper our best eleven looks strong - and with some major strength in reserve, so maybe - on paper - the strongest squad.   They have not achieved anything yet  - but if they play up to potential and Hughton gets them playing as a unit - which is what he does with all his teams (not just defensive) -  then they could achieve something special over the next two or three years.    Very strong on paper, but paper doesn''t mean they are going to be the strongest in reality.   That remains to be seen.  

Strongest team - no, not yet, strongest squad - yes. 

[quote user="ricardo"]I don''t think it''s a very difficult question at all. Football, and the Premiership in particular is much stronger all round than in the year we finished third.IMO based on 60 years of watching Norwich City, this is by far the strongest line up we have ever had the good fortune to see in the Yellow and Green.[/quote]Spot on Ricardo. We''ve had some good teams over the years but never a squad of this quality and depth. I can''t think of too many previous players who would get into our current first team. Peters, Bellamy and Hucks perhaps.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="ricardo"]I don''t think it''s a very difficult question at all. Football, and the Premiership in particular is much stronger all round than in the year we finished third.IMO based on 60 years of watching Norwich City, this is by far the strongest line up we have ever had the good fortune to see in the Yellow and Green.[/quote]Spot on Ricardo. We''ve had some good teams over the years but never a squad of this quality and depth. I can''t think of too many previous players who would get into our current first team. Peters, Bellamy and Hucks perhaps.[/quote]Individual stars of the past have to be viewed in the context of the era they played in. Today we have an array of internationals in almost all positions. The truth is that we have never seen anything like this before. Whether they go on to achieve anything is not relevant because almost all our opponents in this league can pretty much say the same thing.To put it simply, when Martin Peters was here he was a big fish in a small pond. Nowadays we have many more big fish but we must also remember that we swim in a much bigger pond.

Strongest squad? Yes.Strongest starting eleven? Yes, although the Stringer team that finished fourth and the Walker team would give it a run for its money.Strongest management? No.Strongest team and/or squad in relation to the other teams in the league at the particular time? No. Those Stringer and Walker teams were both comparitively stronger.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Strongest squad? Yes.Strongest starting eleven? Yes, although the Stringer team that finished fourth and the Walker team would give it a run for its money.Strongest management? No.Strongest team and/or squad in relation to the other teams in the league at the particular time? No. Those Stringer and Walker teams were both comparitively stronger.[/quote]Yes, I''d agree with that.

An international player in nearly every position has to be the strongest team ever. Now they need to deliver.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Strongest squad? Yes.  Strongest starting eleven? Yes, although the Stringer team that finished fourth and the Walker team would give it a run for its money.  Strongest management? No.Strongest team and/or squad in relation to the other teams in the league at the particular time? No. Those Stringer and Walker teams were both comparitively stronger.[/quote]

Hang on a minute. How was Stringer regarded after one season in charge?  I can''t remember, but I am fairly sure that were question marks about how strong a manager he would make, having not been a manager before.  Same with Walker although he took over a fully fledged footballing team, which made his job easier.  If you are going to compare Stringer or Walker to Hughton,  you have to compare their status after their first season in charge, otherwise you are creating an unfair scenario.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Strongest squad? Yes.  Strongest starting eleven? Yes, although the Stringer team that finished fourth and the Walker team would give it a run for its money.  Strongest management? No.Strongest team and/or squad in relation to the other teams in the league at the particular time? No. Those Stringer and Walker teams were both comparitively stronger.[/quote]

Hang on a minute. How was Stringer regarded after one season in charge?  I can''t remember, but I am fairly sure that were question marks about how strong a manager he would make, having not been a manager before.  Same with Walker although he took over a fully fledged footballing team, which made his job easier.  If you are going to compare Stringer or Walker to Hughton,  you have to compare their status after their first season in charge, otherwise you are creating an unfair scenario.[/quote]

1) No I don''t.2) No I''m not.

3) My anti-Hughton candidates for strongest management extend beyond Stringer and Walker.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Strongest squad? Yes.  Strongest starting eleven? Yes, although the Stringer team that finished fourth and the Walker team would give it a run for its money.  Strongest management? No.Strongest team and/or squad in relation to the other teams in the league at the particular time? No. Those Stringer and Walker teams were both comparitively stronger.[/quote]

Hang on a minute. How was Stringer regarded after one season in charge?  I can''t remember, but I am fairly sure that were question marks about how strong a manager he would make, having not been a manager before.  Same with Walker although he took over a fully fledged footballing team, which made his job easier.  If you are going to compare Stringer or Walker to Hughton,  you have to compare their status after their first season in charge, otherwise you are creating an unfair scenario.

[/quote]
He wasn''t comparing Stringer or Walker to Hughton, he was comparing the strength of the Stringer and Walker teams in relative terms with the strength of the league at the time. 
He is 100% correct in his assessment and that isn''t even opinion, it is pure fact based on league positions. We may never be that strong again relative to other teams in the league, because we may never achieve top 3 / top 6 finishes again.
On the other hand we could potentially achieve something which no other Norwich team has ever achieved and that''s an FA Cup win, I''d love to see it and it would be enough for this team to leave an incredible legacy. 

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

Hang on a minute. How was Stringer regarded after one season in charge?  I can''t remember, but I am fairly sure that were question marks about how strong a manager he would make, having not been a manager before.  Same with Walker although he took over a fully fledged footballing team, which made his job easier.  If you are going to compare Stringer or Walker to Hughton,  you have to compare their status after their first season in charge, otherwise you are creating an unfair scenario.[/quote]

1) No I don''t.

2) No I''m not.

3) My anti-Hughton candidates for strongest management extend beyond Stringer and Walker.

[/quote]

So its ok to compare past managers for their whole time at Carrow Rd with a manager that''s only had ones season? I see.

There is no definitive answer. Circumstances are different. Of course you can have favourites. I think I just about favour Tommy Bryceland over Wes. But is he better? Stronger? Wes has played at a higher level but what does that mean? You could have the same discussion about Ron Davies/Grant Holt. Kevin Keelan/Chris Woods. Alan Black/Gary Doherty. Ron Saunders/Paul Lambert. Robert Chase/Delia Smith....

Scrub that last one because there is a definitive answer there. Delia Smith has been a far better custodian.

Ooops.....

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Strongest squad? Yes.

Strongest starting eleven? Yes, although the Stringer team that finished fourth and the Walker team would give it a run for its money.

Strongest management? No.

Strongest team and/or squad in relation to the other teams in the league at the particular time? No. Those Stringer and Walker teams were both comparitively stronger.
[/quote]

Yes, I''d agree with that.
[/quote]

I would have to agree with Purple and Ricardo. You have to try and compare teams and players with their era. Ted MacDougall and his half time fag would struggle to keep up these days. But at the time he was a great player.

Management is different. In any era you need great strength, intelligence and of course , luck to manage a club or a team. I go back as far as Saunders and he was a tough cookie who would , I believe, knock most teams into a decent shape. Bond, Stringer, Brown, Walker all were as good as their peers on limited comparable budgets. Lambert too would compare. Hughton may well join this class and has got off to a good start by keeping us up. Only history will be the judge.

I personally would go for the 1988-89 team under Dave Stringer, closely followed by the ''92/93 of Mike Walker.

Those teams didn''t have the overpaid complacency that dogs all teams to a lesser or greater degree.

We won''t see that again.

[quote user="basil brush"]I personally would go for the 1988-89 team under Dave Stringer, closely followed by the ''92/93 of Mike Walker. Those teams didn''t have the overpaid complacency that dogs all teams to a lesser or greater degree. We won''t see that again.[/quote]

Best team in my 47 years watching! Still on for the double at Easter when 3 points behind Arsenal with a game in hand and in semis of FA Cup. If only Chris Sutton had been born 3 years earlier we''d have cleaned up!

Like Ricardo, I do think this is the best team I have seen in my 40+ years of watching and I also think this will be evident by the end of this season. The 1989 and 1992 teams were great, but both would struggle in today''s PL.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Strongest squad? Yes.

Strongest starting eleven? Yes, although the Stringer team that finished fourth and the Walker team would give it a run for its money.

Strongest team and/or squad in relation to the other teams in the league at the particular time? No. Those Stringer and Walker teams were both comparitively stronger.
[/quote]

Agreed PC, mostly.

I will add that I think not many players from the Stringer and Walker eras would get in the starting eleven today. Most would be Championship level given the strength of the league now and the steady influx of the worlds best players year by year.

It''s like comparing todays tennis players to those in the 80''s. Obviously most of the top 50 would trounce McEnroe or Bjorg in their prime given identical equipment, standards have improved so much. So it''s an unfair comparison.

But the point is the squad we have now is great, compared to the past. Unfortunately most other clubs can say the same. We''re in halcyon times with the EPL. It''s a league at its peak. and to keep up we have to continue to improve at the same level. I''m thankful we have caught up and are now doing so. 

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Strongest squad? Yes.

[/quote]

Agreed PC, mostly.

I will add that I think not many players from the Stringer and Walker eras would get in the starting eleven today. Most would be Championship level given the strength of the league now and the steady influx of the worlds best players year by year.

It''s like comparing todays tennis players to those in the 80''s. Obviously most of the top 50 would trounce McEnroe or Bjorg in their prime given identical equipment, standards have improved so much. So it''s an unfair comparison.

But the point is the squad we have now is great, compared to the past. Unfortunately most other clubs can say the same. We''re in halcyon times with the EPL. It''s a league at its peak. and to keep up we have to continue to improve at the same level. I''m thankful we have caught up and are now doing so. 

[quote user="Jonzey"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Strongest squad? Yes.Strongest starting eleven? Yes, although the Stringer team that finished fourth and the Walker team would give it a run for its money.Strongest management? No.Strongest team and/or squad in relation to the other teams in the league at the particular time? No. Those Stringer and Walker teams were both comparitively stronger.[/quote]

Agreed PC, mostly.

[/quote]

I would say from the Stringer side that finished fourth that Gunn, Culverhouse, Bowen, Phelan, Townsend, Fleck and Crook would all now (assuming improved levels of fitness etc) be playing in the Premier League. And Gunn, Culverhouse, Bowen, Crook, Fox and Sutton from the Walker era. How many would get into our current starting 11 is a sightly different question, and highly arguable!

Not sure how you all agree its the strongest team but NOT the strongest management ??

If the management team put this team together then how are they NOT the strongest management team?

Are you saying we should be doing better? Then surely we NOT the strongest team ??

To many people with Paul lambert tattoes in Norfolk