Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Under What Circumstances Should Hughton Be Sacked?

It is interesting. I honestly think you HAVE to give a manager 3-4 years to try and build a side. It''s impossible to do it in one season unless the shelves are already stacked. You can not let the fans and press make the club''s decisions. The board has to stick by their guy through thick and thin. That said it''s quite natural for people to complain when they don''t like the team''s style of play or the team has a bad run. 

[quote user="RenegadeSnare"]I think anyone who suggests Hughton should be sacked is unfairly treated on this board.

They are not purely basing their opinion on two games this season. Much is being based upon a poor pre-season last season, an arguably poor campaign last season (bar a ten game run and two results at the end), a relatively poor preseason this season, and two poor results so far.

We undoubtedly have the quality this season and I am all for giving Hughton a chance to get it working. I just think we have to be a little mindful of what''s happened in the past and the fact we all know we do have the quality. He needs to get it to work.

I''ve not really been a big supporter of Hughton''s tactics from the beginning, like many of us however like I said, we have to give him the time for the new signings (his squad) to settle in and gel. It does concern me however that similar signs are still there from last season and none of us can deny that we cut it a little fine last time around.

Give Hughton the time to fix it, but be a little wary is all I''d say.[/quote]

Totally agree, I don''t want to be seen as some boo boy out for Hughtons blood on the basis of 2 games I want him to give us the team we all dreamed of over the summer when we saw the players we were signing.

He needs to find a way to make us an attacking force without sacrificing our new found defensive solidity. The key to this has always been the personnel in Midfield Fer is an upgrade on Johnson/Tettey getting box to box and joining the attack. Fer can also play further forward especially in big games away from home.

The biggest problem is how do we set up in a game we have a reasonable chance to win. This for me is where I start to get to get frustrated with Hughton (especially last Saturday)

I am not convinced Howson is truly an attacking midfielder and I am certain he is not a winger. Wes on his day is unplayable (off hi day he is too)

Can Hooper , Redmond or Elmander play there ? Hopefully we will get a chance to find out (or a player that can)

We gave away 3 points Saturday like the two we did against Newcastle at Carrow road last year and as there are no easy points in the premier league we can''t afford to be doing that.

Hughton has not as yet found a formation (or team) to allow us to deal with teams that want to "park the bus" to be a success at Carrow road he has to do this and quickly we cannot depend on the points against the top 6 that kept us up last year.

it really is frustrating we are almost there, we signed some great players but now we have to get them to work as a team.

Make me proud Chris give us a team we can get behind on Saturday regardless of the final score we can know they gave everything.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]£60 in petrol for a round trip? Has anyone noticed an Abrams tank parked near tge grounds on game days? What are you driving???[/quote]

I think you will find we pay more for petrol across this side of the pond Houston.[:D]

Setting aside all the childish squabbles about how much watching Norwich City costs each of you (£4,000 is probably quite close by the way), a relegation battle and a 17th finish battle would simply not be acceptable this season. David Mcnally has all but said this to be the case himself.

RenegadeSnare

They are not purely basing their opinion on two games this season. Much is being based upon a poor pre-season last season, an arguably poor campaign last season (bar a ten game run and two results at the end), a relatively poor preseason this season, and two poor results so far.

Actually pis5ed myself at this,

Based on poor pre-season''s??

Our highest finish in 2 decades, (Higher than Lamberts effort) How can last season be described as poor?

and after TWO (ONE loss) games this year!!!

Seriously if you want entertainment, watch X-Factor, WWF or La Liga,

If you want whats best for Norwich City, get behind Hughton.

Swansea City play exciting football.

Southampton play exciting football.

Both these teams will comfortably stay up.

Why can''t Norwich City play more open football?

It''s opinions like CDMullins'' that will ensure the Club retains its ''Little Norwich'' tag.

[quote user="CDMullins"]RenegadeSnare

Actually pis5ed myself at this,

Based on poor pre-season''s??

Our highest finish in 2 decades, (Higher than Lamberts effort) How can last season be described as poor?

and after TWO (ONE loss) games this year!!!

Seriously if you want entertainment, watch X-Factor, WWF or La Liga,

If you want whats best for Norwich City, get behind Hughton.[/quote][Y]

[quote user="Highland Canary"]We have our best ever squad now so will be much more successful than ever we could have been during Lambert''s time.[/quote]

Wrong, we have our most expensive squad. ..there''s a difference.

Why can''t Norwich City play more open football?

Are you blind or stupid?

Because up until this year we simply havn''t had the players to play that type of Football,

Swansea brought up a better squad than we did and was able to spend the money they got from Joe Allen on some genuine diamonds, Southampton spent a fortune last summer, we are essentially a year behind both them 2 clubs.

We barley spent anything last year and our season was all about consolidation (and our highest finish in over 20 years). However this year we have competed with nearly every club in the Premier League barring the big boys in the transfer market.

For our first 2 games we have had 5-6 players unavailable. Doesnt stop the Hugton Out cretins though. I swear them must watch the game on ceefax.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="Highland Canary"]We have our best ever squad now so will be much more successful than ever we could have been during Lambert''s time.[/quote]

[/quote]Are you saying we have spent badly? Please enlighten us.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

Are you saying we have spent badly? Please enlighten us.
[/quote]

How the **** would he know??????

[quote user="Warren Hill"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]Are you saying we have spent badly? Please enlighten us.[/quote]

[/quote]Fair point, well made[:D]

[quote user="Ferk off"]Swansea City play exciting football. Southampton play exciting football. Both these teams will comfortably stay up. Why can''t Norwich City play more open football? It''s opinions like CDMullins'' that will ensure the Club retains its ''Little Norwich'' tag.[/quote]

Its really quite simple:

Swansea have a free ground and are the one and only club which has signifigantly outperformed for a couple of years. It is not normal and is short-lived as the the recent bbc article shows.

Southampton have a very wealthy benefactor

Norwich have had to pay off 20m of external debt over the last 2 years.

Its really bizarre that so many people can''t grasp these simple financial realities.

If we have bought that well we should be able to beat, or at least attempt to beat, teams such as Hull or Southampton. Perhaps, it''s the tactics or the ability to get the best out of the players that is not all that it might be?

Also you always have to remember that transfers are not the only cost of the season budget and we are lower mid table team what comes to budget.

Chelsea could do zero transfers and still their seasonal budget would be worth of at least two seasons of ours with these transfers.

As Mullins said we are doing the catch up at the moment to get to the level midtable teams. In my opinion it is a bit stupid to raise your expections too high. We have good team and with a good season under Hughton we might get in the upper table at the end of the season, but places between 10-15 are quite much more realistic as top 7 clubs are almost certainly already decided and places after them are under high competitio. We can be there, but I wouldn''t cut my wrists, if we find ourselves at 11 again and I would be only mildly dissapointed to end 15th.

Quite obviously now is not a time for Chris Hughton to be sacked by any stretch of the imagination. He has led us to 11th in the Premiership, albeit after a nervy few days a couple of weeks from the end of the season, and has spent £25 million on players.

I have the utmost confidence that David Mcnally will make said decision at the correct time for the football club, if indeed circumstances ever call for it. We certainly won''t be seeing a manager hanging on a year down the line as happened under the previous chief executive.

[quote user="Boomer21"]It is interesting. I honestly think you HAVE to give a manager 3-4 years to try and build a side. It''s impossible to do it in one season unless the shelves are already stacked. You can not let the fans and press make the club''s decisions. The board has to stick by their guy through thick and thin. That said it''s quite natural for people to complain when they don''t like the team''s style of play or the team has a bad run.  [/quote]^^^Agree with this and everything CDMullins has said. 3-4 years is right.  Anything less would be a waste of all the money and effort.   Those that can''t or won''t see what Hughton is trying to do, are closed minded.  For the umpteenth time he is not about creating a defensive team.  He is about creating a team  that has a good defence.   He is a manager who''s teams play fluid quality football throughout the team.  We are yet to see it come to fruition except in small doses, but all we need is to understand and have some patience.  

[quote user="Highland Canary"]If we have bought that well we should be able to beat, or at least attempt to beat, teams such as Hull or Southampton. Perhaps, it''s the tactics or the ability to get the best out of the players that is not all that it might be?[/quote]

Highland Canary in negative, sky falling in post shocker.....

We did attempt to beat Hull (they defended superbly - crediting the opposition obviously isn''t as much fun as bashing your own team) and we haven''t even played Southampton yet. Do you have the Samaritans on speed-dial?

[;)]

[quote user="Ferk off"]Swansea City play exciting football. Southampton play exciting football. Both these teams will comfortably stay up. Why can''t Norwich City play more open football? It''s opinions like CDMullins'' that will ensure the Club retains its ''Little Norwich'' tag.[/quote]

Would that be the exciting Swansea who finished a mere 2 points above us and the exciting Southampton who finished 3 points below us ?

Did either of these exciting teams beat us last season and was it the exciting Swansea who we put 4 goals past at the Liberty ?

OK so we''re playing catch up with the other ''mid-table'' PL squads. Lambert must have worked miracles to keep us up with essentially a league one/championship team. Last season I understand was all about consolidation.

So if Swansea have a better squad than us, of the teams promoted subsequently and still in the PL - Southampton, West Ham, Cardiff, Hull and Crystal Palace - is our squad better or worse than these teams?

Lavanche: As Mullins said we are doing the catch up at the moment to get to the level midtable teams. In my opinion it is a bit stupid to raise your expections too high.

We have finished 11th and 12th now, there is no more catch-up needed to be done. Against Hull 9 of the starting lineup were signed since promotion. Only Martin and Ruddy remained from the promotion squad. Our squad is more than equal to those teams around us. Just because they have spent tons of cash on crud over the last 5 years is their problem. Anyone top quality in their squads signed more than 2 seasons ago will have flown from the nest by now.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]OK so we''re playing catch up with the other ''mid-table'' PL squads. Lambert must have worked miracles to keep us up with essentially a league one/championship team. Last season I understand was all about consolidation.

So if Swansea have a better squad than us, of the teams promoted subsequently and still in the PL - Southampton, West Ham, Cardiff, Hull and Crystal Palace - is our squad better or worse than these teams?[/quote]Yes, Lambert did work miracles, I don''t think anyone would deny that.We massively over achieved.

[quote user="Warren Hill"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

Are you saying we have spent badly? Please enlighten us.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I''ve seen both games in full thats how!............albiet HD Streams, but I know sh*t when I see it!

--- TIL 1010: Would that be the exciting Swansea who finished a mere 2 points above us and the exciting Southampton who finished 3 points below us ?

Yep, League cup winners Swansea, with silverware in the trophy cabinet and European football this season, who were on the beach for the last couple of months, and Southampton who matched Lambert''s achievements with two promotions and staying up playing expansive football.