Sign in to follow this  
ryanncfc

Football is entertainment.

As The title says, we all go to games and follow City because we want to be entertained and see a successful side. For me, the best way to be entertained at a game is to see an end to end game with both sides going for it, seeing a few goals fly in and a lot of chances. Last night, we had all of that, 9 goals, plenty of missed chances at both ends and 2 sides going for goals. I don''t get these people saying ''''we conceded 3 vs Bury blah blah blah''''. We had Bassong and RB playing as the CB''s who haven''t played a full competative game for months, there is bound to be some rustiness and not match fit. In a cup game especially, surely we can just go, take our seats and enjoy what is unfolding in front of our eyes?! I swear, some people go just to pick out flaws! It was the best game I have seen in a long while, full credit to Bury too, they never let their heads drop. All in all a very entertaining night at Carrow Road, and that''s what we all want, surely?!

Always a difficult one this, Ryan. The balance has to be found in between gaining success by on the one hand, grinding out loads of turgid 0-0 s and 1-0 wins à la Liverpool of the seventies and Arsenal of the eighties/nineties, and on the other,suffering a succession of 4-3 defeats and going down . Though I''ve been a critic of CH, I can indeed see his dilemma . He will argue, that ultimately his no nonsense, boring strategy of last season did the job and we , albeit narrowly, stayed up . As fans, do we principally turn up ar CR to see an entertaining game or to see City win? Obviously last night was a perfect storm as we got both, but , on Saturday would you rather see a sterile game of cat and mouse with Norwich nicking a goal late on, or a free flowing game that ends up in a 4-5 defeat ?

My take on this is, until City are truly an established Prem side, I''d err on the side of caution BUT, on the basis that to become an established side we need regular points and wins, so we really do have to set our stall out to go for a 3 pt haul in our choice of tactics and team.

I honestly think that some people would rather we lost 4-5, just to see us score 4 in an open game.

I can''t believe I''m saying that, but I think it''s true.

Best entertainment last night was the guy behind me berating Paul Sturrock the whole game, getting frustrated at not getting a reaction and then the look on his face when the penny dropped as someone not too far away shouted ''Blackwell!''

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Did anyone who sat through Man Utd v Chelsea on Monday night feel entertained?

[/quote]Theres 90 minutes of my life I will never get back[:(]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Theres 90 minutes of my life I will never get back[:(][/quote]

I''m not a big Corrie fan, but on Monday night, the machinations of David Platt, Tina, and Karl were sadly an improvement on what was on offer from OT.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Theres 90 minutes of my life I will never get back[:(][/quote]

I''m not a big Corrie fan, but on Monday night, the machinations of David Platt, Tina, and Karl were sadly an improvement on what was on offer from OT.[/quote]I would rather stick forks in my legs than watch Corrie, but I take your point lol.

The difference last night is was it was worth £1m at the most (if we get to the final). The premiership games until we are mathematically safe are worth £100m!

[quote user="QHcanary"]I honestly think that some people would rather we lost 4-5, just to see us score 4 in an open game.

I can''t believe I''m saying that, but I think it''s true.[/quote]Equally, I think there are some people who would be happy watching a random number generator pumping out results as long as the number next to ''Norwich'' was bigger than the number next the opposition more often than not.

[quote user="Dandy Mountfarto"][quote user="QHcanary"]I honestly think that some people would rather we lost 4-5, just to see us score 4 in an open game.

I can''t believe I''m saying that, but I think it''s true.[/quote]Equally, I think there are some people who would be happy watching a random number generator pumping out results as long as the number next to ''Norwich'' was bigger than the number next the opposition more often than not.[/quote]your username just cracked me up and i really have no idea why!!!?? Funny stuff!

[quote user="alartz"]So what you''re saying OP. we should go into league 2?[/quote]
If I was born and raised in a city with a League 2 club then I''d be a fan of a League 2 team. So if we were in League 2 then so be it. 

It''s not a one or the other only choice. We were very entertaining 2 seasons ago and finished with a few more points but one spot lower in the table.

I''d take that any day over last season''s yawnfest. It wasn''t very exciting cheering for Norwich last year.

If I wantto support a boring successful team, I''ll tune into the Chess Network.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]It''s not a one or the other only choice. We were very entertaining 2 seasons ago and finished with a few more points but one spot lower in the table.

I''d take that any day over last season''s yawnfest. It wasn''t very exciting cheering for Norwich last year.

If I wantto support a boring successful team, I''ll tune into the Chess Network.[/quote]

^^ Another point people disregard when praising Hughton over Lambert. Yes we did finish higher last season, but with less points than Lambert got.

The season before 44 points would have seen us finish lower than 12th. It was much tighter last season.

I wish we could see more entertaining play like 2 seasons ago. If this isn''t a transitional period (which I fear now it isn''t) and this is the way we are playing football. It will be hard to keep the interest, as it really is not too far away from watching a clock tick, or paint dry.

Football in this country is dead. 
When you get fans of teams like ours considering 17th preferable to an FA Cup win and a jaunt to Europe then you know that football is too far gone.
It used to be a competitive sport where players would compete for honours and achievements, it is now a business where teams of businessmen compete for a share of a big pot of money.
Fans used to support and cheer on the players in their quest to beat the best and become the best, now they say things like "17th is an achievement", because they pay £40 a game for a year to see if their team can get £60m to pass to players and agents.
Seeing Dave Whelan emotional at having realised his dream of winning the FA Cup made me really respect that man. I wonder whether Delia is more focused on the £60m or whether she has a similar dream of seeing as lift a trophy and go down in history.
I hate Manchester United with a passion, but I''ve become fond of this bunch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL4n5E1VEM8 
FC United of Manchester, making football real again. Look how much they are enjoying their day out. Watch this documentary:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrR5e9NtV68
I don''t think those fans give a monkies about getting £60m and giving it to some mercenary who cares more about the colour of the leather in his Bentley than attempting to become an FA Cup winner.
Football is ruined and our club has lost its soul like every other club in this league. Our fans are lifeless, have no ambition, and say with absolutely no sarcasm whatsoever that they would be happy with 17th and that a cup run can affect a league position.
Football is dead, our club is losing its soul, and I''m logging out and not coming back until I care more. Over and out.

"It''s not a one or the other only choice. We were very entertaining 2 seasons ago and finished with a few more points but one spot lower in the table.

If I wantto support a boring successful team, I''ll tune into the Chess Network."

Of course you''d take it. You want your cake, and by god you want to eat that bad boy.

Doesn''t always work like that though, does it?

"Football in this country is dead. 
When you get fans of teams like ours considering 17th preferable to an FA Cup win and a jaunt to Europe then you know that football is too far gone.
It used to be a competitive sport where players would compete for honours and achievements, it is now a business where teams of businessmen compete for a share of a big pot of money.
Fans used to support and cheer on the players in their quest to beat the best and become the best, now they say things like "17th is an achievement", because they pay £40 a game for a year to see if their team can get £60m to pass to players and agents.
Seeing Dave Whelan emotional at having realised his dream of winning the FA Cup made me really respect that man. I wonder whether Delia is more focused on the £60m or whether she has a similar dream of seeing as lift a trophy and go down in history.
I hate Manchester United with a passion, but I''ve become fond of this bunch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL4n5E1VEM8 
FC United of Manchester, making football real again. Look how much they are enjoying their day out. Watch this documentary:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrR5e9NtV68
I don''t think those fans give a monkies about getting £60m and giving it to some mercenary who cares more about the colour of the leather in his Bentley than attempting to become an FA Cup winner.
Football is ruined and our club has lost its soul like every other club in this league. Our fans are lifeless, have no ambition, and say with absolutely no sarcasm whatsoever that they would be happy with 17th and that a cup run can affect a league position.
Football is dead, our club is losing its soul, and I''m logging out and not coming back until I care more. Over and out."

Jesus. Cry me a river.

I want to see the best teams coming to carrow rd. if that means that fighting to stay in the premier league is the club''s priority, so be it.

Really don''t know what people are moaning at me for to be honest. How many of you would seriously be happy to watch football like Stokes style everyweek? I certainly wouldn''t. Why does a win have to be a ''''poor game, scrape 1-0''''? Remember the wins against Man City, West Brom, Swansea etc last year? Top games, and we got results. No matter what you say, football is an entertainment  package. You go there to see a good game and hopefully a City win, you don''t go there to be bored and feel you have wasted half your life savings on a ticket..

Are you serious, RC?

We''d be talking about a 6-6 game for years if we didn''t suffer a coronary during it.

I don''t want to sell my soul just to stay Prem. Football is entertainment. Last season I had to suffice too many times with , "Well at least we didn''t lose," when we''d leave the park with a point or even 3. I''m thrilled we stayed up cuz I can see the games on tv here, but once again, it is possible to stay up AND be exciting.

We will get relegated but I hope it''s exciting when it happens.

At least we are currently tied in points compared to after 2 games last year and the season before, I think. So there''s hope.

[quote user="ryanncfc"]Really don''t know what people are moaning at me for to be honest. How many of you would seriously be happy to watch football like Stokes style everyweek? I certainly wouldn''t. Why does a win have to be a ''''poor game, scrape 1-0''''? Remember the wins against Man City, West Brom, Swansea etc last year? Top games, and we got results. No matter what you say, football is an entertainment  package. You go there to see a good game and hopefully a City win, you don''t go there to be bored and feel you have wasted half your life savings on a ticket.. [/quote]
All I ask is that a Norwich team try and win, and last season away from home and sometimes even at home it felt like we were aiming for a draw and setting out for a draw. 

We know that is all people want. We have heard it literally thousands of times that''s what people want. Constantly repeating it isn''t helping at all. Maybe you all write to Delia about it.

Strangely I find myself agreeing with a lot The New Boy says.

Fans want entertainment, exciting football aligned with good league position a good cup run etc.

The club would prefer for us to stay up at any cost regardless of any boring, negative football this may take to achieve.

Sadly the two don''t go hand in hand (at the moment) but given a few years consolidation the first could follow the second and everyone would be happy.