Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

So I just had a chat with Chris Hughton !

So I''m back in our fine city for a few months and who do I bump intoChris Hughton of course !!First off, he really is, one of the nicest men in football. I''ve been quite fortunate in being able to meet several Footballers / Managers during my time as a football fan, but Mr Hughton must be the most pleasant of them all.He was quite happy to answer a few questions and have a general chat.Regarding last night he told me that what had pleased him the most was our goal tally. And specifically the quality of the goals scored. He seemed very happy that a range of players had got goals.I got the feeling that he was trying to tell me, we have the ability to score these goals, we just need to ensure we can do it week in week out.On the fact we let in 3 he told me that Bury had nothing to play for and therefore were always going to give us a good game and when I asked him about his view on their 3rd he basically said it was a cracker.I said that we would obviously all get behind the team in the upcoming campaign and I got the feeling that he really enjoys the atmosphere at Carrow Road.He seems really passionate about Norwich City FC and as the face of our football club he really does us proud. He just seemed a generally nice chap who wants to ensure we stay in the league (and progress)In hindsight I would have tried to have got some info about future transfers and the Gary Hooper''s injury, but when your in the heat of the moment you don''t really think of these things. He also seemed to be with family so I didn''t want to keep him too long !Anyway thought I''d just post on here as it was nice to see the man face to face and seeing his natural response to a fans questions.

Nice to be back for a few months Reading, those of us that live here are always bumping into CH mate, it''s great!

[quote user="Vanwink"]Nice to be back for a few months Reading, those of us that live here are always bumping into CH mate, it''s great![/quote]haha probably got a bit carried away posting on here !But when you spend most of your time in a different part of the country it''s nice bumping into some club players/staff !

"Mister Chops"I bump into him every week in the local curry house.

He always orders a korma.

Make of that what you will.

He''s actually a woman?!

Rumour has it they substituted a Jalfrezi just before the West Brom game, McNasty frequents the same establishment I believe!

Yes, Chris-o and I shoot pool together on Wednesday evenings.

Can''t really tell if he''s any good at potting though mind, most of the time he seems more interested in snookering me.

[quote user="im spartacus"]i play warhammer with him online he really is a terrific bloke [:D][/quote]He puts all his orcs around his castle and tries to hold out for 90 turns?

[quote user="im spartacus"]i play warhammer with him online he really is a terrific bloke [:D][/quote]

Pfft, Warhammer online? Why don''t you play it with the plastic figures, I play weekly with Colin Calderwood, of course I always beat him as he hasn''t got a clue tactically...

[quote user="Lord Eddard Stark"]I could see this taking off on the internet in some kind of Chuck Norris-esque fashion[/quote]

Confused.

How do you read this board if not via the Internet?

Ah, good old Hoots. He and I spent many a day fishing on the Broads in the off-season. His angling technique is slightly odd though, he actively tries to avoid catching fish, preferring instead to prevent his hook from being attacked by the fish. He once stated "You know it''s a good day on the Broads if you can pass the entire day without getting a nibble". He''s reminiscent of Plato sometimes with pearls of wisdom like that.

[quote user="Snakepit Ric"]I go pole dancing lessons with him on Saturday nights up platinum lace !![/quote]

Where''s that again Ric.............

me and Chris are also avid members of the English civil war society and we reenact battles on Sunday afternoons at various shows around the country (sky schedule permitting)but for some reason he always refuses to be a cavalier

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Asda?[/quote]

Coincidentally I saw him too this afternoon and it was not in Asda but in Waitrose, Eaton. He was deep in conversation with someone who was obviously a fan who had stopped him, chatting about last nights game, seemed like he had loads of time for him, in no rush to brush him aside. Good on him.

I saw Craig Fleming in Morrisons yesterday doing his shopping.I actually hate seeing my heroes doing normal, everyday things lol.

@ plan b - that was me in Waitrose with Ch [for that is what I call him, "Ch", as in Church, we toyed with "Big C" but realised the negative health connotations - how we laughed]. He keeps pestering me for culinary advice ever since that wonderful meal he enjoyed at my house and although I''ve got far more important things to do I humoured him. He won''t be invited again, he was very passive all evening not really wanting to engage with the other guests before livening things up by making a half-hearted and questionable move for my unattainable foreign au pair. I don''t like to talk about it.  

[quote user="kick it off"]Ah, good old Hoots. He and I spent many a day fishing on the Broads in the off-season. His angling technique is slightly odd though, he actively tries to avoid catching fish, preferring instead to prevent his hook from being attacked by the fish. He once stated "You know it''s a good day on the Broads if you can pass the entire day without getting a nibble". He''s reminiscent of Plato sometimes with pearls of wisdom like that.[/quote]

Hoots and me spend time just chatting. I meet him at the place of his choice, usually by a river or small stream. He makes me laugh when he does an impression of Bruce Forsyth or Larry Grayson. We talk for hours about who was the best presenter of the Generation Game.  I tell him it''s all about opinions but he can get quite cross. Hoots isn''t always the nice guy that you would imagine.  

"Pfft, Warhammer online? Why don''t you play it with the plastic figures, I play weekly with Colin Calderwood, of course I always beat him as he hasn''t got a clue tactically..."

I 1v1''ed Hughton on modern warfare 3 and all he did was camp in the map until the timer ran out.

When I spoke to him here in Portland last month I found him to be very approachable and engaging. He seemed genuinely surprised that so many people came to watch the team train. Very nice guy. Didn''t seem a bit negative or defensive.