Sign in to follow this  
grdean

Starting XI Prediction for Southampton

I''m not your monkey. If you think I''m going to go through the Hull game and say ''well in the 54th minute he did this'', you''ll be waiting a while. I''ve stated, in numerous posts, that Howson''s contribution in the Hull game was a strong one and I''m hardly the only one with that opinion. I reject the assertion he was crap against Everton, and in the final months of last season he was putting in good performances for the final three months of the campaign. Some only recall the WBA and Man City games because of the goals, but he didn''t just suddenly spring onto the scene then. He was excellent for weeks. So my view of things is he should play, behind the striker. Fer is best as a deeper midfielder, box to box and able to use his strength to get amongst players, win the ball and drive forward. Hoolahan I would have on the bench as he''s struggled to impress against either Everton or Hull.

Try not to take that personally; I''ve not insulted you all afternoon. You''re the one who called me a c*nt.

Well dont take my **** personaly then. In my opinion you didnt do anything else than trying to get on my nerves.

And what comes to being a monkey, then just stay out of conversation if you are not willing to contribute for it or at least just say your opinion without calling anyone out.

As I said I agree that Howson had couple good games at the end of the season, but same time he had few horrible ones in mid of good ones. Mayby he was played out of position, but that certain Liverpool game pops in my mind where he was out of clue under heavy pressing. Saturday we are facing a team which is builded for legs to run us out of gas so not best place for trying out a player in "new position" where he has struggled earlier. Only game where he was somewhat succesful as a main creator I remember was a Reading game which we won. But even at that game he had two strikers front of him to be aimed at and he didnt do anything special. He just played well and straight after that he had horrible game against Stoke and then again three or two good games. (AV, ManC and WBA) I remember this as I praised him after Reading and Aston Villa games.

And accept it or not, Howson was out of form in Everton game and I''m hardly the only one with that opinion and stated in many posts why and even given stats to back it up.

Anyway seems that this isn''t going anywhere. As a player type I dont agree that Howson fits for the slot. Hughton rarely has tried that after those few poor games previous season. Mayby it is his time to try and I prefer him over Fer there, but still at the end Hoolahan has best point ratio from our players after Whittaker I think. (At least previous season he had) He was decent if not good against Everton and created chances and did that again against Bury.

So if we are looking form Hooly should be equally rewarded as Howson. This way or that as said Fer should play in his own position as a box to box and if it means Howson or Fer in 10 slot I would go for Howson.

But let''s agree to disagree.

Noted - cheers, too. Things will change soon as I''m working on a new website with a couple of others, which will incorporate the blog and expand on other things. Should be fun. Will look better, too.

Anyway. We never beat Saints and I don''t think tomorrow will be any different although i''ll be delighted to be proved wrong. Norwich 1 Southampton 1

I would really like to see a team of:

----------------------------------Ruddy---------------------------------

Whittaker------------Turner-----------Bassong--------------Olsson

------------------------Tettey--------------Fer--------------------------

Snodgrass---------------------Howson------------------Pilkington

---------------------------Van Wolfswinkel------------------------

How feasible that is due to fitness, form and other considerations I don''t know.

He has been our best central midfielder since about March though. It would seem a shame not to include him.

----------------------------------Ruddy---------------------------------
Whittaker------------Turner-----------Bassong--------------Olsson

------------------------Howson--------------Fer--------------------------

Snodgrass---------------------Elmander------------------Pilkington

---------------------------Van Wolfswinkel------------------------
Have Fer sit and break up play, Howson to have licence to push forward at times. Tettey has been shocking so far this season, would not get anywhere near my first XI.

[quote user="YellowBlood"]

Tettey has been shocking so far this season, would not get anywhere near my first XI.

[/quote]

Eh?

I say he has been in good form so far and was very good in his 20 mins against Everton and looked as good as anyone in the Hull game. Far better than Johnson so far this season. Him alongside Fer will provide a very solid base for Norwich, and both players are capable of carrying the ball forward as well as winning and maintain possession.

Anyway, as he was rested on Tuesday and did the pre-match press conference it is fairly obvious he''ll be starting tomorrow.

Everyone was shocking vs Hull so yeah he did look as good as anyone, but I lost count how many times he gave the ball away with what should have been a simple pass, he just does not poses good passing abilities. That of course is my opinion and everyone has their own.

[quote user="YellowBlood"]Everyone was shocking vs Hull so yeah he did look as good as anyone, but I lost count how many times he gave the ball away with what should have been a simple pass, he just does not poses good passing abilities. That of course is my opinion and everyone has their own.[/quote]

He misplaced 3 passes against Hull and 1 against Everton.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="YellowBlood"]Everyone was shocking vs Hull so yeah he did look as good as anyone, but I lost count how many times he gave the ball away with what should have been a simple pass,. [/quote]

He misplaced 3 passes against Hull

[/quote]

Perhaps you need to work on your counting skills, Yellow Blood.

And then maybe we can move on to talking about football.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="YellowBlood"]Everyone was shocking vs Hull so yeah he did look as good as anyone, but I lost count how many times he gave the ball away with what should have been a simple pass,. [/quote]

He misplaced 3 passes against Hull

[/quote]

Perhaps you need to work on your counting skills, Yellow Blood.

And then maybe we can move on to talking about football.

[/quote]
Maybe I have got the amount wrong but I could have sworn it was more than 3, must just have been 3 complete howlers and they have stuck in my head and I am replaying them over and over again. Either way I would put Howson and Fer together. I ant someone who will argue with stats so lets get back to the football discussions.  Smile [:)]

With Howson and Fer together it would restrict the chances of Fer getting forward.

Tettey, who is an out and out defensive midfielder, would compliment Fer and allow him more freedom to push on.

********Ruddy**********

Whittaker*Martin*Turner*Olsson

*********Johnson**********

Snodgrass**Fer**Redmond**

**********Elmander********

**********RVW***********

Bassong didn''t look fit vs Bury so why risk him? Same with Pilks, maybe him to come off the bench on 60 to give Redmond an hour to wreak havoc.

Elmander to link up with RVW as he''s looked so isolated. Fer to drop back when needed.

The main question is; are Olsson and Redmond too attack minded to play together, can Redmond cover him if he bombs forward?

Olsson and Redmond would be a great attacking option, I suspect a bit too risky for Mr Houghton but would love to see that happen.