Sign in to follow this  
grdean

Starting XI Prediction for Southampton

What I think:

(4231) Ruddy; Whittaker, Martin, Bassong, Olsson; Fer, Johnson; Snodgrass, Elmander, Pilkington; RVW

I would personally like to see Redmond start, perhaps behind the striker instead of Elmander. If he does it would most likely be instead of Pilks.

[quote user="Curious Orange"]Ruddy

Whittaker

Turner

Bassong

Olsson

Snodgrass

Howson

Fer

Pilkington

Elmander

RVW[/quote]
^
This too

Ruddy,

Whittaker, Turner, Bassong, Olsson,

Fer, Tettey,

Snodgrass, Howson, Pilkington

RVW

Massively harsh on Elmander, but I''d like to see us start Howson in his strongest position

I can''t see Martin being left out if Bassong was blowing a bit last night. I think it will be this, but would be happy to see Olsson start instead of Garrido.

Ruddy

Whittaker   Turner  Martin   Garrido

Snodgrass   Johnson   Fer    Pilks

Salamander

Wolf.

Ok, I''ll have a go:

Ruddy

Whittaker - Turner - Bassong - Olsson

Tettey - Fer

Snodgrass - Elmander - Pilkington

The Wolf

RuddyWhittaker   Turner   Martin   OlssonSnodgrass   Fer   Tettey   Pilkington                     Elmander                van WolfswinkelSubs: Bunn, Bennett, Hoolahan, Howson, Johnson, Redmond, Becchio

What I think we should do and what I think Hughton will do are probably going to be two very different things?

Hughton has all the cards, whether he can be trusted to play them in the right order at the right time is very much debatable?

wouldn''t surprise me if this finished 0-0 as it did last season.

[quote user="flying high up in the sky! Would love to see elmander behind the wolf. But if hooper is still unfit does anyone really see that happening? Don''t think hughton trusts becciho to be the striker to come off the bench and nick us a goal if we are losing. quote]

What has Hooper being unfit got to do with it??

So you''re saying keep Elmander out of the team because Hoopers not in it? Don''t see your logic there. You play your strongest team, not keep a player on the bench just in case.

[quote user="YellowBlood"][quote user="Curious Orange"]Ruddy

Whittaker

Turner

Bassong

Olsson

Snodgrass

Howson

Fer

Pilkington

Elmander

RVW[/quote]
^
This too
[/quote]

Same for me

I''d go with

------------------ Ruddy

Whittaker -- Martin -- Bassong --- Olsson

--------------- Johnson ----- Fer

Snodgrass ------------------------- Pilkington

-------------------- Hoolahan

--------------------- RVW

Morison''s Prozac wrote the following post at 28/08/2013 4:46 PM:

Ruddy

Whittaker Turner Martin Olsson

Snodgrass Fer Tettey Pilkington

Elmander

van Wolfswinkel

Subs: Bunn, Bennett, Hoolahan, Howson, Johnson, Redmond, Becchio

I''m with you MP ........ even as far as the subs.

Given the known injuries we have at the moment, the back four more or less pick themselves - Ruddy; Whittaker, Bassong Martin/Turner, Olsson.

The strikers will probably be RvW and Elmander.

The main uncertainty is about the midfield, in particular the fourth to go with Pilks, Fer and Snoddy.(I expect Redmond to come on later when the defence is tiring a little.) If CH is feeling cautious, it could be Tettey rather than Johno. If, however, Fer covers the back four, - he has the motor to get forward and do damage up front as well, then I hope that CH will select Howson as an advanced central midfielder.

I can''t predict exactly will CH will do. Have those who played on Tuesday picked up the match fitness they needed? Will CH go for defence and counter-attack? Who knows

For the sake of creativity

Ruddy

-----------------Fer---------Tettey----------------

Snoddy--------Hoolahan----------Pilkington

Wolf

At the end I think Howson and Johnson will find themselves in starting lineup with Fer and fullbacks are Martin - Garrido and I can curse again how bad we are with the ball and how slow our fullbacks are.

Given that Howson and Tettey were both rested against Bury I''d be surprised if they''re not in the team. I''m also surprised how many people have left Howson out when he''s been our best player across the first 2 league games.

It''s also strange how people can pick Martin ahead of Turner at centreback but I do think Martin could be in the team again because Bassong didn''t look very sharp against Bury.

Elmander''s classy performance against Bury makes him hard to overlook but I think that maybe you''ve got to look more towards the future of the club.

Ruddy
Snodgrass Tettey Fer Pilkington
                    Howson
                      RVW

But I wouldn''t be surprised if we saw Elmander and/or Redmond.

[quote user="Lavanche"]For the sake of creativity

Ruddy

---------------Fer---------Tettey--------------

Snoddy---------Hoolahan---------Pilkington

Wolf

At the end I think Howson and Johnson will find themselves in starting lineup with Fer and fullbacks are Martin - Garrido and I can curse again how bad we are with the ball and how slow our fullbacks are.[/quote]

That would be bang on my team.

For me its got to be:

-------------------Ruddy--------------------

--Whitaker--Turner---Bassong--Olsson-

----------------Fer------Tettey-------------

Snodgrass-----Elmander--------Pilkington

--------------------RVW----------------------

Impressed with Elmanders link up play the other night. Can''t leave him out. Rotate with Howson. Rotate Pilks with Redmond.

GJP: Arguably Howson was in bottom half of our players in Everton game. Actually I cant name anyone who would have been clearly worse in that game. I didnt see Hull game, but his heat map quite much told me that he was succesful playing on right, so putting him behind the striker where he kind a never have played for us would be a risk and playing him alongside of deep middlefielder would be either waste of one spot or waste of Fer if he would have to stay deep.

That is reason I didnt include him in my team. Ofc he could be success behind the striker and risk well taken, but then again we have players in our squad that are lesser risk and thats why I went for Hoolahan.

The only way you''d have Howson in the "bottom half of our players in Everton game" is if you were talking utter rubbish.

The only player better than him against Everton was Whittaker.

And nobody was better than him against Hull.

[quote user="GJP"]

Given that Howson and Tettey were both rested against Bury I''d be surprised if they''re not in the team. I''m also surprised how many people have left Howson out when he''s been our best player across the first 2 league games.

It''s also strange how people can pick Martin ahead of Turner at centreback but I do think Martin could be in the team again because Bassong didn''t look very sharp against Bury.

Elmander''s classy performance against Bury makes him hard to overlook but I think that maybe you''ve got to look more towards the future of the club.

Ruddy
                    Howson
                      RVW

[/quote]

Howson our best player in the first two games?

Wow

I watched two completely different games in that case.

[quote user="kiwigreenandgold"][quote user="GJP"]

Ruddy
                    Howson
                      RVW

[/quote] Howson our best player in the first two games? Wow I watched two completely different games in that case.[/quote]

Or you might have watched the same games but just don''t understand football as well as me.

It happens.

[quote user="GJP"]

The only way you''d have Howson in the "bottom half of our players in Everton game" is if you were talking utter rubbish.

The only player better than him against Everton was Whittaker.

And nobody was better than him against Hull.

[/quote]

QFT

Take the Howson classes of already ^^ He was very poor in Everton game. He looked bad and stats show he was bad. End of discussion.

If Hoolahan is judged by how many times he lost the ball in ADVANCED role, Howson have to be judged by same criteria. Same time Hoolahan made more chances to cross and shoot in that game than any other Norwich player and completed second most dribbles after Redmond, so clearly you should praise the smaller of H''mans.

In Hull game he seemed to have a good game by stats. Good for him. But he did that in a position where he has more time against a team that was defending quite deep. Two things he is struggling is a that he needs awfully lot time to make good pass althought he seems to have vision and second he doesnt move enought or in a right place after passing the ball.

That is reason why I''m not encouraged to try him as a main source of our attacks. I could be wrong and he would have hell of a game, but if we want playmaker, I would go for Hoolahan and if we just want tall man to link up, I would go Elmander or RvW. If they mess up, change Howson in at 60min and he has half hour to prove me wrong or at least give some positive examples that he could play there in future.