Sign in to follow this  
carrotroad

Anyone fancy joining a Sunday league team?

I know this part of the message board is for NCFC related stuff - but I think I can get away with it as I''m posting about the other NCFC - Sunday league team Newsman Celtic FC.

We play in Division 3A of the Norwich and District Sunday League and we need a few more players for the forthcoming season.

In particular we need a new striker. One who''s going to get us 30 goals a season would be great!

We play at Eaton Park, train every Thursday at UEA and drink after games at Kett''s Tavern.

If anyone is interested then email our manager Chris Bailey on bailojnr@hotmail.com or phone 07917 566782

Cheers and fingers crossed Pete will allow this to stay!

Yes no shortage of managers. We''ve also got accountants should you need a treasurer and we can even help you out with a club doctor....

Thinking about it if you need the dressing room and showers cleaned out after a game I know of a recently retired bog cleaner. [:P]

When I saw Mr. Tilson''s name appearing on this particular thread I had to click on it to see if what I was thinking was correct. Wazzy took a shot earlier referring to a picture of Mr. Tilson suggesting that a new outfit is probably required. I was curious to see if Mr. Tilson was taking it to heart and saw this as an opportunity to improve his dress code.  

There''ll be plenty wanting giving their vocal support from the sidelines, but you must be prepared for unwarranted criticism, knee-jerk reactions to defeats and team selection etc, etc.

[quote user="Mervmeister"]I play in that league for Constable Crusaders[/quote]

Well, that definitely sounds like Mr. Tilson''s team. I bet he could snaffle a three piece sideline suit out of that.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

When I saw Mr. Tilson''s name appearing on this particular thread I had to click on it to see if what I was thinking was correct. Wazzy took a shot earlier referring to a picture of Mr. Tilson suggesting that a new outfit is probably required. I was curious to see if Mr. Tilson was taking it to heart and saw this as an opportunity to improve his dress code.  

[/quote]

No chance Yankee!

If you look again at the pictures I think you will see that his shirt has been made from a deckchair. I think you can just make out the wording ''Gt. Yarmouth Council'' along the stripes. [:D]

[quote user="carrotroad"]

Cheers and fingers crossed Pete will allow this to stay![/quote]

course he will, or Collo will beat him... ;)

I''m not at all surprised you need a few more players as there are less and less people playing the game nowadays.

All leagues seem to be suffering from clubs withdrawing, the latest being Watton first team withdrawing from senior football in the Anglian Combination.

And it''s not just the players, there seem to be less and less match day volunteers as well.

Perhaps the FA should get its head out of the sand and look at the reasons why ............... unless they are only interested in the rich boys and couldn''t care less.

You''re right Yellow Wall. The decline in participants did speed up once Norwich made the Premier League and streams were widely available in pubs. The 3pm Saturday television rule wasn''t just to protect attendances. People will argue that it''s a free country and we have a choice whether to watch premier league or support local football, and they''re right. But with participation already dropping local football needed it like a hole in the head!

Actually I think the FA are.

They have started a new U19''s league to bridge the youth leagues to mens - which I applaud. Some youngsters will still want to play mens but at least this way it keeps more that don''t playing and preparing them for when they do.

I think a large part of the problem is everything has changed.

When I started playing mens football at 16 in 1998 most teams were sponsored and attached to a pub. After games we would retreat to said pub, orange juice and lemonade for me and a platter of sandwiches to share. I played for St. James 1st back then. A pub that no longer exists sadly.

But it is a similar story across the board. Sponsorships are harder to come by. Strips and printing has gone up in price, so that a sponsorship of £100 barely even covers the printing. If players don''t pay their subs and disappear it can hit you big time if you don''t have a reserve.

It''s the balance of trying to run a club financially soundly whilst keeping it affordable and fair to players.

My team are charging £5 subs a match this season. We could probably get away on £4 but that would mean running on a bit of a tight-rope.

But the overall cost of things has gone up making it very difficult.

Small pitches for training cost from £18 for a 9-10pm slot at the Sportspark to £35-40 elsewhere for a single hour. So you are looking at another £2 plus 60p entry to £4 per player for training. Do you slap this on the match day subs or keep it separate?

I don''t see that the FA can do anything about these sorts of costs. Their own costs, and those of the league, are actually very reasonable.

It is the lack of proper leadership coming forward at a club level that is actually the problem, and the fact that people are working more hours over the week that prevents them from committing to regular football.

To the original poster.

If i had read this post about 50 years ago i would have loved the opportunity to be your 30 goals a season striker. Unfortunately i can''t run for even 1 step these days.

I wish you all the best in your player recruitment, and for the coming season.

[quote user="Proper Charlie"]Best of luck on finding your players. I have my 1st game of the season on Sunday, can''t wait even at 40 years old!![/quote]Our oldest player is 57 years old – he''ll be back in the centre of midfield once he''s recovered from a broken metatarsal. I play for Newsman Celtic and have done since 2000, and I''d add that we are a very laid-back bunch of lads who play purely for the enjoyment and the banter.The cost of Sunday football is rising – I think a season''s pitch fees are now about £600. Our match fee is £5 (less if you only play a proportion of the game) and £3 for training on a Thursday night. Get in touch if you''re interested!

chicken wrote the following post at 30/08/2013 1:36 PM:

Actually I think the FA are.

They have started a new U19''s league to bridge the youth leagues to mens - which I applaud. Some youngsters will still want to play mens but at least this way it keeps more that don''t playing and preparing them for when they do.

I think a large part of the problem is everything has changed.

When I started playing mens football at 16 in 1998 most teams were sponsored and attached to a pub. After games we would retreat to said pub, orange juice and lemonade for me and a platter of sandwiches to share. I played for St. James 1st back then. A pub that no longer exists sadly.

But it is a similar story across the board. Sponsorships are harder to come by. Strips and printing has gone up in price, so that a sponsorship of £100 barely even covers the printing. If players don''t pay their subs and disappear it can hit you big time if you don''t have a reserve.

It''s the balance of trying to run a club financially soundly whilst keeping it affordable and fair to players.

My team are charging £5 subs a match this season. We could probably get away on £4 but that would mean running on a bit of a tight-rope.

But the overall cost of things has gone up making it very difficult.

Small pitches for training cost from £18 for a 9-10pm slot at the Sportspark to £35-40 elsewhere for a single hour. So you are looking at another £2 plus 60p entry to £4 per player for training. Do you slap this on the match day subs or keep it separate?

I don''t see that the FA can do anything about these sorts of costs. Their own costs, and those of the league, are actually very reasonable.

It is the lack of proper leadership coming forward at a club level that is actually the problem, and the fact that people are working more hours over the week that prevents them from committing to regular football.

Chicken - it seems you also have your head in the sand so I would assume you are one of the many now employed by the FA.

How many reasons do you want why people are not playing?

Your first point, the Under 19 league - at 18 a ''man'' can marry, can pay taxes, can join the army and fight for his country but the FA consider he needs to play with other 18 year olds because he is too young to play with men. I started in very junior football just before my 15th birthday and played against many at that time of a similar age. The FA now does not allow 15 year olds to play ''open'' football, they must be 16. So what do you think those 15 year olds do on a Saturday afternoon if they can''t play the game? I''ll tell you. If possible they watch Norwich City. Then when they become 16 .............. they still watch Norwich City and the clubs lose more players. If an under 19 team is a few players short it can''t fill it up with 25 year olds, if a men''s team is short it can fill it up with under 19s. The under 19 league will further diminish the number of players available for other teams as, if they want to play with their mates (as this is what it is about) they will travel to do that leaving their local clubs short.

Yes, everything has changed. The cost of football has changed considerably. Not only are facilities more expensive so are referee fees, league fees, county fees and, more especially, fines.

Now I have no problem with players getting booked or sent off if they deserve it, but I do have a problem with some of the fines that are administered. A late tackle, whether it is meant or whether it is because the player concerned just isn''t good enough, can easily result in a sending off if he is the last player. No problem with that but it is usually followed by a £25 fine. That''s a lot to many players, especially if there was no intent to foul and the player was just trying his hardest for his team. Oh, as you probably know, intent has now been removed from the rules, which has resulted in many more bookings (at £10 a throw).

No wonder there are now hundreds of players not playing the game as they have ''sine die'' bans for debt.

The FA would argue that they need this income to administer the game. The wages are paid to the few (although far more than it used to be), the many walk away from playing the game.

I could continue this with many more examples but it would probably get even more boring to read!

I''ve just finished being a Sunday League Secretary and running costs are getting higher, though with a comitted group it shouldn''t be difficult to keep a club running.  The club cost around £1400 to run over just 1 season, which is a lot.  Over an average of around 20 games, that averages around £6.30 per person per match.

Referee costs average £30, a council-run pitch totals about £58 per match, plus you have to have all the Insurance, which comes to around £150 on memory.  You even have to pay £2 signing on fee now per player, so over the course of a season, 30 players used can soon total another £60.  That''s before you factor in geenral running costs like balls, kits, medical stuff, etc.

I think we charged around £20 signing on fee each, then £5 per match.  Believe thought it was extortionate but to be fair, what do you get for a fiver these days!?

I think the advent of 5-aside soccer has had a reverse effect on 11-aside.  It''s not all doom and gloom, but people have more choice now on when to play their football.  Participation is probably higher now - you go down Goals, UEA and Powerleague and you will see loads of people playing - its easier for everyone to play 5-aside and lets be honest, probably even better facilities.

The Norwich Sunday League still support 9 divisions however, so I still believe that''s a lot stronger than people are making out on here.  I think we all just need to realise that people have more of a choice now, which must be a good thing.

There''s not 9 leagues - there are 8.

Add to that the fact that the friendly league has folded and the teams moved up from that.

Since last season over 20 clubs have folded from the N&D Sunday league.

@Flecky76 - that''s almost exactly how we run. We are on a school pitch though so quite a bit less. £45-50. But we charge the same. Like you say, without sponsorship it is hard to find the money to provide for things like match balls which are easily at least £45 (of which you must have at least two).

For the last five years I have been chairman, secretary and treasurer and run a very tight ship. It has worked. But this season will be a stiffer test.

This is a very interesting debate...Norfolk FA tell us more people are playing football locally than ever before but the number of teams has significantly reduced. Something doesn''t add up!!!Marlborogh FC, probably the most successful Sunday League side in Norfolk ever, Folded this week due to lack of player loyalty... what does it take to play for a team who have won 15 league titles and 8 in the last 9 years? A Side that had a fantastic set up and players of a greater standard from saturday football... It''s a bloody shame! The current Premier League champions will not be defending their title...Nutty Nigel may well have a point... The Internet streams, Norwich in the prem, Preferring to sit on your backside, pint in one hand pork scratchings in the other is winning it seems.I feel it''s vital to introduce a youth set up to a club... from under 8''s upwards... This not only brings in much needed revenue but ensures a future for the club for a number of years... A great local Example is Norman Wanderers, with 3 mens teams, youth teams and now a girls side. they will continue to compete for years with this structure in place...Sadly the "dog and duck FC" is a thing of the past... even now your local Sunday side wont exist past a few years if you dont lay the foundations now...The development league is a waste of time imo.... the clubs cannot be promoted to the Sunday league proper, half decent youngsters are going to be snapped up by bigger Sunday/Saturday clubs and the rest, deemed not good enough, will just leave the game anyway.... I doubt the league will run beyond this season.The Buck stops with the F A, the worst thing to ever happen to English football was 1966... The FA stopped at this point... and the rest of the world over took... even at amateur level in the USA the game is leaps ahead of ours... Facilities are better, organisation is better and volunteers really want to help and move things on.I know Chicken and he does a good job running his team, ultimately though without help and support of others these opportunities would not exist.my team start unsponsored for the first time ever this season... years ago a local business would chuck you a few quid for a picture in the local rag etc... now they don''t want to know... "credit crunch" "Local football isnt what it was" "other teams let us down" "the FA do nothing to help you..." just some of the excuses I have heard.more teams will fold this season, due to lack of interest,  badly run clubs, players thinking they are better than they actually are and poor coaching.. but many more will come along.. the National FA needs a structure in place to help these clubs grow,  move into Saturday football, then work their way up as high as they possibly can....

Some interesting points,

Flecky - you are dead right. The promotion of County 5IVES has had a detrimental effect on 11-a-side football. It''s easier, cheaper and more convenient for players so many have moved over and only play 5IVES. Additionally is the County FA still trying to get advertisers for the FDC? If so then every advertiser is a sponsorship potentially lost to a needy club as they inevitably won''t do both.

Chicken - if you are paying £45-£50 for your pitch then when you add in affiliation fees, kit, balls, referees, laundry, insurance you must be on around £120 per match. That is too much! Especially when the people you want to play are young men who possibly have lower incomes, mortgages and young families. Add to what they pay a harsh booking or sending off and they can easily be disillusioned. What would happen if you decided you had had enough? Would your team continue?

Jas - many players leave the game because they either can''t, or won''t pay the fines that are imposed upon them. Remember, there is no appeal against a booking. Check out:

http://www.norfolkfa.com/~/media/countysites/norfolkfa/documents/ncfa-documents/governance-documents/suspension-lists/sine-die-suspension-list---thursday-29-august-2013.ashx

to see how bad the problem is.

[quote user="drurys testamonials V 15"]

Maybe you should get morty to help you as it looks like he''s good at organising

[url]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/1/2970544/ShowPost.aspx#2970544[/url]

[/quote]Maybe you should take your issues, and shove them.x

[quote user="morty"][quote user="drurys testamonials V 15"]

Maybe you should get morty to help you as it looks like he''s good at organising

[url]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/1/2970544/ShowPost.aspx#2970544[/url]

[/quote]

Maybe you should take your issues, and shove them.

x
[/quote]

You should have just simply red it Morty....

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="morty"][quote user="drurys testamonials V 15"]

[/quote]Maybe you should take your issues, and shove them.x[/quote]

You should have just simply red it Morty....

[/quote][:)]

The toughest thing when you run youth football is the transition from youth to men''s footy. U16''s youth is fine but then the youth set up stops. The move up to men''s football is a natural progression for some lads but for many the step is too big and they either end up on the bench as bit time players of just go off and do something else.

I believe there is a Norfolk/Suffolk u17''s league but the transport costs are just so high for some away games.

I believe efforts have been made to get an u17 league going but as far as I am aware without success.