Sign in to follow this  
Cantiaci Canary

Lowering deadline day expectations?

Over the past few days I have read quotes from Hughton suggesting that:

A) we don''t need another CB with Bassong, Turner, R. Bennett and Martin;

B) we don''t need another AM with Hoolahan, Elmander, Hooper and Howson.

Apart from hiring in a short term replacement for E. Bennett (Troisi?) does this insinuate that the cheque book is closed for 2013 ... especially as CB and AM are the two positions many fans have been hoping we will upgrade?

p.s this is no criticism of the transfer activity so far which has been incredible!

I think your headline sums it up Cantiaci, we have always played our cards pretty close to our chest, the last few days of the window are always a bit of a beanfeast, lowering expectations is not a bad thing all round.

Yep I expect we have made our major signings already, but I quite sure that Hughton has made inquiries all around to see if there is players out there we could get under their wage and transfer value.

Toivonen for example have not moved yet and our bid was accepted earlier, so it is matter of hours if he changes his mind.

Also Tottenham most likely will loan/sell at least one of player from trio Sigurdson, Townsend, Carroll.

And the list continues. So wait and see, but keep your feet on the ground.

We still have a fair whack available to spend if the right player becomes available. Don''t rule out another big name coming through the door due to lack of funds.

Well we definitely need another striker! It appears we only have 3 as Hooper is midfielder.

Good post. Some people on here nearly did themselves a mischief as the last deadline approached.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Over the past few days I have read quotes from Hughton suggesting that:

A) we don''t need another CB with Bassong, Turner, R. Bennett and Martin;

B) we don''t need another AM with Hoolahan, Elmander, Hooper and Howson.

Apart from hiring in a short term replacement for E. Bennett (Troisi?) does this insinuate that the cheque book is closed for 2013 ... especially as CB and AM are the two positions many fans have been hoping we will upgrade?

p.s this is no criticism of the transfer activity so far which has been incredible![/quote]

It would be helpful if you could post those quotes.

Although would like a new central defender. Convinced we will only see a winger come in on loan. In fact, I am almost certain it will be the only transfer made.

[quote user="Lavanche"]Yep I expect we have made our major signings already, but I quite sure that Hughton has made inquiries all around to see if there is players out there we could get under their wage and transfer value. Toivonen for example have not moved yet and our bid was accepted earlier, so it is matter of hours if he changes his mind. Also Tottenham most likely will loan/sell at least one of player from trio Sigurdson, Townsend, Carroll. And the list continues. So wait and see, but keep your feet on the ground.[/quote]

I expect exactly the same - enquiries galore.

Toivonen I think will stay at PSV now

Agree about Spurs too - those players will want to get games and develop and Spurs may even sign more players yet. Not sure Sigurdsson will go, but Townsend and Carroll most likely. Townsend will have plenty of suitors and will want to start.. would love him here though