Sign in to follow this  
king canary

A Fans Disagreement- Opinions Please!

I have a season ticket in the Jarrold and went along as usual today. However for the first time today I had someone repeatedly tell me to ''sit down.'' First when I jumped up after Redmond shot wide, secondly when Fer nearly scored and finally when I ''disagreed'' with the ref over our penalty claim. By this point I was pretty annoyed and told the bloke saying it (politley of course) that he was at a football match and sometimes people stand up. The guy couldnt have been older than 60 and has no problem with his legs as far as I can tell.Am I in the right here or have I spent 90 minutes being and obnoxious bastard?

If he doesn''t want people jumping up in front of him he needs to move to the front row or stump up for a box.

Ignore him.

Sounds like you followed the letter of the law and stood during periods of excitement of the game which is allowed.

If you''d stood for the whole game I guess he would have a right to be narked but from your post you didn''t do that.

I''ve had this in the jarrold before. Was the Forest game in the championship season we came up. Stood up because the rows in front of me did at various chances, and some old-ish fella kept hitting me on the shoulder with a walking stick telling me to sit down.

Found it extremely annoying. People stand up when stuff happens. Deal with it, or buy a seat in the front row.

So yeah, in my opinion, you''re in the right.

[quote user="Morisons Prozac"]The only mistake you made was to sit in the Jarrold in the first place[/quote]Ha! To be fair I tried the Barclay for a couple of seasons and it''s not for me. As the most vocal group there are often a few jerking knees as soon as a pass is misplaced!

I think you are in the right KC.It''s a game of football.Exciting things happen. If the bloke wants to sit down all game he should stay at home and get a stream.

Was he Lardy and ginger, he''s there every week. Just cll him a fat smelly bastard and carry on mate!

As you''re a season ticket holder, I would suggest you resolve it amicably. You could have the same people sitting around you for many years to come. Haribo, anyone?

Had the same problem when my season tickets were in the Jarrold. The seats behind us weren''t taken (as season tickets) so had randoms every week.One week had somebody tell me to sit down, after i jumped up as a shot just whistled passed the post. Never saw him again after that. :-)

[quote user="king canary"]I have a season ticket in the Jarrold and went along as usual today. However for the first time today I had someone repeatedly tell me to ''sit down.'' First when I jumped up after Redmond shot wide, secondly when Fer nearly scored and finally when I ''disagreed'' with the ref over our penalty claim. By this point I was pretty annoyed and told the bloke saying it (politley of course) that he was at a football match and sometimes people stand up. The guy couldnt have been older than 60 and has no problem with his legs as far as I can tell.Am I in the right here or have I spent 90 minutes being and obnoxious bastard?[/quote]

You''re in the wrong.No-one objects to people jumping up involuntarily to celebrate a goal. Even the people in the Jarrold do that, albeit  some rather arthritically. But that wasn''t even on your list. And it sounds as if the person behind  had enougb time during each incident to ask you to sit down, suggesting you stayed standing for a while.The fact is you were blocking the view of someone who has paid good money to watch a football match while seated. You seem to think - "no problem with his legs" - that the onus was on him to jump up every time you did. Not so.The solution, if you want to keep jumping up, is to move to the back row of The Jarrold, or to another part of the ground where everyone behaves similarly.You did ask for opinions!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="king canary"]I have a season ticket in the Jarrold and went along as usual today. However for the first time today I had someone repeatedly tell me to ''sit down.'' First when I jumped up after Redmond shot wide, secondly when Fer nearly scored and finally when I ''disagreed'' with the ref over our penalty claim. By this point I was pretty annoyed and told the bloke saying it (politley of course) that he was at a football match and sometimes people stand up. The guy couldnt have been older than 60 and has no problem with his legs as far as I can tell.Am I in the right here or have I spent 90 minutes being and obnoxious bastard?[/quote]

You''re in the wrong.No-one objects to people jumping up involuntarily to celebrate a goal. Even the people in the Jarrold do that, albeit  some rather arthritically. But that wasn''t even on your list. And it sounds as if the person behind  had enougb time during each incident to ask you to sit down, suggesting you stayed standing for a while.The fact is you were blocking the view of someone who has paid good money to watch a football match while seated. You seem to think - "no problem with his legs" - that the onus was on him to jump up every time you did. Not so.The solution, if you want to keep jumping up, is to move to the back row of The Jarrold, or to another part of the ground where everyone behaves similarly.You did ask for opinions!

[/quote]Fair enough purple although if I''d been told to sit down while celebrating the goal I would have been gobsmacked.My personal feeling was that I didnt actually stay standing that long, certainly back in my seat before play resumed!Without meaning to sound rude I''m fairly glad your opinion appears to be in the minority amongst our fans!

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]Fair enough purple although if I''d been told to sit down while celebrating the goal I would have been gobsmacked.My personal feeling was that I didnt actually stay standing that long, certainly back in my seat before play resumed!Without meaning to sound rude I''m fairly glad your opinion appears to be in the minority amongst our fans![/quote]

I would be horrified if that wasn''t the case...

I had this a couple of seasons ago at Chelsea I was amazed after about 20 minutes this women told me to sit down. To which I had a little bit of a shall we say heated debate about how the people infront of me stood at the same time so I needed to. She didnt see my point but then saying that she didnt celebrate when big Grant Holt equalized so I think she may have been lacking on passion to say the least !

I also had a problem at Chelski a few years ago, away fans were sat behind the goal, presume they still are, but we were right down the front and you are almost sat below pitch level. If you didn''t stand up you couldn''t see the ball at the other end of the pitch, and they will moaned when we stood up!

I agree with you KC , he''s at a football game. He can go and moan at the pictures if he wants, there you have to sit down.

These issues (yes issues city1st [;)] ) will run on and on. In football stadiums now there''s no freedom of movement. With our ST allocation everyone has "their seat". So if you find you''re in close proximity with someone who behaves differently to you the chances are you are stuck with it every game. The guy who wants to stand at times will never be compatible with the guy who wants to sit all the time behind him. Try swapping seats?

On a similar vein the thing that amazes me every week down in "the blankets" is early leavers. You can''t get any further to the front than blanket boulevard. The seats are in front of Row A. It should be obvious to everyone that these supporters have to sit. Many of them are in wheelchairs. Yet every game the early leavers walk in front of them. And then if City attack they stand in front of the wheelchairs and watch the action before carrying on their merry way out of the stadium without a thought for anyone else.

Pretty standard to stand up at parts of the game when it gets exciting.Only times I ever tell someone to sit down is when they are about to leave and something happens so they stop mid leave  to watch. At which point they get a torrent of abuse as they were leaving anyway so dont deserve to see whats going on.Normally its cup games when the crowd is none season tickets that you get all the retards anyway. Best thing to do in the Jarold anyway is conduct yourself according to the people around you. Ie : Kids or old boys dont swear or jump around. If you want to jump about and be involved go to the Barclay if you want to be a obtuse prat go to the snake pit.I sit in the Jarold and will stand if I feel the exctiement has got to much ;)

Didnt read all the responses, think Purple makes a good summary. And frankly will agree with him and prefer to be in the elite minority. Had some idiot at a cup game sat infront of my old man wearing what can only be described as a bear in hat form. He was really rude to my old man for asking him to sit down, even though his hat was enough of a obstruction. Frankly what he said to my dad would have gotten him a broken nose and wired jaw if I had been present !This kind of thing is wrong in my opinion, you gotta resepct the fans around you. If you want to be with the rabble go sit with them, if you want to be in the family area sit there. Just dont complain about the people around you if you cant get a ticket else where or choose to sit in the "wrong" section, eg, id never actually WANT to sit in the Barclay or SP tbh with you :)

You''ll always get these grumpy old ignorants who don''t go with the flow!

There are times when people will stand up in the excitment of the game, get over it!

I find it more annoying when people arrive late for the game and block your view!

Bring in safe standing areas that are actually safer than people standing behind seats!