Sign in to follow this  
It's Character Forming

Pens yesterday

I see on MOTD a poll of 86% thought the Johnson one was a pen. Though the Snoddy one at the death was too clear a pen to be worth a poll about.

My view is the Johnson one was a pen but very similar to one not given for us last season - was it Sunderland away when a much softer one was given vs Basso, which again was similar to the one from the down header by RVW yesterday, neither of which were pens IMO.

So you win some, you lose some would be my conclusion. Thought it was a bit rich that the post match interviews with Soton were all about decisions going against them so far this season. I don''t accept the idea that it evens out over the season, a football season isn''t long enough for this to be true. But as it happened yesterday the ref''s mistakes did even out over the game, for once.

both were pens imo, we had lady luck on our side for once. well deserved after all those not given in our favour!

[quote user="CDMullins"]Both were pens, you cant have your arms up (or out) in the box.[/quote]^^^The ref was perfectly placed for both, and I rate the guy, so I find the decisions a bit odd.I think Snoddy was looking for his pen a bit though.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="CDMullins"]Both were pens, you cant have your arms up (or out) in the box.[/quote]^^^The ref was perfectly placed for both, and I rate the guy, so I find the decisions a bit odd.I think Snoddy was looking for his pen a bit though.[/quote]Lovren never looked at the ball and came right accross him, Snoddy ''looked for it'' all game, which in my opinion caused him nopt to be given the penalty

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="morty"][quote user="CDMullins"]Both were pens, you cant have your arms up (or out) in the box.[/quote]^^^The ref was perfectly placed for both, and I rate the guy, so I find the decisions a bit odd.I think Snoddy was looking for his pen a bit though.[/quote]Lovren never looked at the ball and came right accross him, Snoddy ''looked for it'' all game, which in my opinion caused him nopt to be given the penalty[/quote]Yeah there is probably some truth in that, and I know, in theory, a ref has to be totally objective, and judge each incident purely on its own merit, but human nature intervenes, and if you have been at it all game, its bound to count slightly against you.

[quote user="Herman "]Yes, no and yes. Two calls wrong. Johnson''s we really got away with.[/quote]And it has evened itself out.Good luck or good reffing, you decide lol.

As you have mentioned the position of the ref meant the first was very good luck. Snoddy was a fair judgement call. He had been a pain in the arse for the ref all game, so that played against him imo.

Haven''t seen the replays yet, but from my view Johnson looked like his arms were in front of his head, but presumably not based on the comments here.

Again, from my view, Snodgrass incident looked like a dead cert, looked to be in front of the player, could have easily had a shot, and got pushed. Doesn''t matter if he''s looking for it, if he was pushed its a pen. Going to watch MOTD now anyway so hopefully will get a better view of it all!

All three were pens in my opinion. Johnson''s was stonewall and I have no idea how we got away with that one.

The RVW header was also a pen. Not quite as obvious but why were both of the defenders hands up at his chest? The ball undoubtably hit his hands and he batted the ball away with them.

Snoddy was a little theatrical in the way he went down but it still would be a foul anywhere else on the pitch. Maybe a case of ''even it up'' by the ref.

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]Yes, no and yes.

Evens itself out over the course of the season though.

Or in this case the course of the game.[/quote]Trouble is you have varying degrees of Refs, so it doesn''t always even out.Looking at yesterdays game, in that respect it did.

If Snoddy''s reputation is resulting in pretty clear cut pens not being awarded, particularly by a ref like Web, then he needs a word in his ear.

Luck for sure because if we was 1 down with BJ penalty never been same game and also most probably never been situation against Snoddy.Same time reff was so close to situation and only reason this cant be penalty was because he shoot from close but still hands was not in normal position ...at all great game only not sure why so isolated again RwW was not subbed last 15 min with Bechio he can press more for sure!?