Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Wazzy's (belated) Ref Watch

I though we should have a great display from two of the three world cup final officials, missing our own Darren Cann...

Howard Webb

Good Points

I''m really struggling here.

Bad Points

Missed what I thought was two stone wall penalties, one each. The handball and foul towards the end of the game were easy decisions, he had a great view of the handball too.

I felt he terribly overplayed the advantage - there was a possible foul to be given he allowed play to continue as the ball had fallen to one of their players. The player then has the chance to do something with it but makes a poor pass and gives the ball away. Webb then brings play back and gives the free kick. In my eyes that''s wrong - he''s given their guy the advantage, but if he then makes a poor decision HE, (the player) has squandered that advantage - there is a limit to how long to should allow before calling play back.

he was reluctant to give any yellow cards, the main beneficiary of this was Johnson, who I felt deserved one having got ''stuck in'' once or twice.

Overall

I felt some of his decision making was poor, and it was a disappointing performance from one supposedly at the top of his game. I never thought I would be saying this, but I thought Michael Oliver was better two weeks ago.

Thought webb was exceptional - previous ''ref watches'' have had you slate this guy so think it''s more of a personal problem you have with Webb rather than a true analysis of his performance

8.5/10

Had a very good game.

Pleasing to see someone following both the letter of the law and the spirit of the the game rather than playing to the gallery.

I think you have misinterpreted the advantage law as well wazzy, advantage is exactly that, if no advantage is gained by allowing the play to continue then I don''t think there should be any time scale involved with that

I thought he did OK but got two big moments wrong ie the pens. Go to fifa.com and look at Law 5 " The Referee" and under the Powers and Duties it refers to Advantage. The only mention it makes to the time period before advantage has to be called back is "if the Anticipated Advantage does not develop over the NEXT SEVERAL SECONDS" . That''s fairly ambiguous!  

Good solid game. Let it flow where possible and no need for any yellows as it wasn''t that sort of game.

Johnson got stuck in a couple of times? I should b****y hope so, that''s what he''s there for. Neither reckless or persistent fouling so quite rightly no cards shown.

Handball rule still too much down to refs interpretation and having to make a quick decision on hand positioning, distance of the ball to hand and movement of hands etc, is a difficult decision(s) to make. Having said that, it was clearly a pen (but that''s hindsight for you).