Sign in to follow this  
SYG

Will we sign anyone by Monday?...

I think so, half because I just have a feeling, half because when asked the other day McNally said they are likely to be implementing another kit + shirt printing deal in the near future. Not much to go on but I''ll take it.

Haha JG can never just answer normally to a question I put out.

And it''s 11PM on MONDAY, so Monday is correct

I doubt it, remembering the scrambling last year, when we emerged with Kane. If we sign anyone, I expect a loan signing.

I think we''ll be in for a couple of surprises on deadline day. It''s not like our manager has come out and said he won''t be expecting any more players coming in. Managers always want to try and improve their squad no matter how many times they say they''re happy with it and if the opportunity comes to do that (at the right price) before the window is shut I wouldn''t be surprised if we saw more than one new face come in. Hughton himself has said he''s very ''open minded'' about the opportunity to do so, whereas in previous years Lambert has come out and said we won''t be signing anyone.

I could just be very optimistic, and I''m happy with the squad we have now, but there''s always room for improvement and considering we still have a chance to improve and for the right price, we should.

I''d like to see another quality CB if Ayala is to leave, even Becchio could be off, alot could happen between now and Tuesday morning.

SYG wrote the following post at 31/08/2013 11:57 AM:

"Haha JG can never just answer normally to a question I put out.

And it''s 11PM on MONDAY, so Monday is correct"

Technically no, "by Monday" would mean they had to be signed before midnight Sunday so you are discounting the extra 23 hours on Monday.

Given that CH has stated that CB + AM are covered and that we haven''t been linked to anyone for ages I would be very surprised if we sign more than a loan replacement for E. Bennett.

Barring injuries today, I''d be surprised if we did any permanent deals. Possible a loan deal but I''d expect us to keep the money for any January deals felt necessary.   

I hope so.

I think our depth is ok but certainly not ideal. The bench today had players from our dismal run last season and to be honest do not give me much confidence if they were asked to come in for most of the season.

The spine of our team is critical and getting hooper back will help, but we need those players in our midfield to perform... Each every game alongside fer.

So I hope we do add some more so that our bench can have a few more game changers. Genuine game changers

So for me centre half, central midfielder.

We need to look at someone else outside and a creative spark as well and that may have to be further down the line, but with Johnson proving his limited abilities today and for a few games this season that position is looking to be needed to address.

Suspect that one more will be coming in.

Whether much of the lack of transfers is still dependent on Bale going to Real Madrid is unknown, but we may be holding onto Fox until we have another player signed.

So far City haven''t really sold anyone ''out of the blue'' so to speak - bar Holt and then there were rumblings of him wanting to be elsewhere..

So, are we to see a sale of a player where the ''offer is too good to refuse'' or just see another one coming in and one being sold ... or more likely going out on loan with a move to a permanent move ?

I''m not so sure.Would I be happy to "Go with what we have" Quite possibly.I would like another striker, but its all to do really with how our luck goes with injuries, once Hooper is fit we look good enough in that department.Can we really attract another centre back the quality of Bassong, who is willing to sit on the sidelines and wait his turn when an injury comes? I''m not sure. Bennet took his chances well at the end of last season.So, on the whole, it wouldn''t be the end of the world if we don''t sign anyone.

Ldc I totally agree.

That for me is now the critical point, every other position is nicely covered, yes a centre half would be good but if Ayala can step up we may be ok. I do think a centre half could help as could a winger.

But critical position is alongside fer. If we don''t we can cope but it certainly won''t be as comfortable.

In an ideal world I''d like a ''number 10'' and another CB.

But I can''t see that happening

Absolyely spot on LDC - this is the most glaring deficiency in the team - Fer get''s injured, suspended or loses form and we are then looking at Howson being the crux of our creativity. I actually like Howson, but when he is further up the pitch, he is not good enough to play the deep lying creator role. Funnily enough, Huddlestone had another good game yesterday for Hull and he could have done a jon for us, even given his lack of mobility.

Do people actually think we could sign a midfielder on par with Fer, who would be happy to wait for his chance through injury? And we could / would be happy to pay him good money to do so?I think, midfield wise we about have the balance and numbers about right. There will always be places in any squad for the "not quite good enough" and the "up and coming" players. I doubt we will be competing in enough competitions to keep many more real good quality players happy.I wouldn''t be against a season loan for a right winger.

I''m happy with the squad as is, but in an ideal world, I would want one more player with a real ability to turn us around at their goal ala Redmond.

Can''t think who that would be that falls within the available/ obtainable range, though.

Pablo Piatti on a year loan? Thought to be interesting Celtic and Southampton. Perhaps try and get someone like Januzaj on loan from Utd?

Morty - we lack creativity and invention through the middle. There are players out there that can both pass and tackle and I am advocating bringing someone like this to play alongside Fer rather than instead of him. The likes of Holtby have been mentioned, but i wonder whether we could make a sneaky loan for Van Ginkel as he isnt going to get game time for Chelsea and he is desperate to make the Dutch world cup squad. Sandro at Spurs would also be agood loan as it is difficult to see where he is going to feature too.

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Morty - we lack creativity and invention through the middle. There are players out there that can both pass and tackle and I am advocating bringing someone like this to play alongside Fer rather than instead of him. The likes of Holtby have been mentioned, but i wonder whether we could make a sneaky loan for Van Ginkel as he isnt going to get game time for Chelsea and he is desperate to make the Dutch world cup squad. Sandro at Spurs would also be agood loan as it is difficult to see where he is going to feature too.[/quote]Oh I don''t disagree with the premise, but I think the practicality of it is unlikely, and the best we could hope for in that department is likely a young, up and coming loanee. I think that Fer and Bradley complimented each other well yesterday. And I still think that Hughton is looking to push the creativity through the wide areas, which I think its more likely we will get a wide player in, as opposed to a central midfielder.

I think the player we need, well, the player I''d love to see come in would be someone who is an upgrade on Wes. Give us a little bit more guile around the box.

I fear that those kind of players are damned expensive so we might look at a loan but I think it''s that position that we now need to "give the lads a hand" in.

Of course we could sign a starter-quality mid-fielder. With cup runs, international breaks and a crowded Xmas season, not to mention muscle strains and normal dents and dings suffered along the way (not to mention inevitable long term injuries), it''s silly to think we don''t have room for another quality player. This is the Prem. Most teams have very good talent on the bench, injured, or just left out of the lineup each game day. Ollsen?

Morty - I think you are right about Hughton''s strategy, but this will be very vulnerable to clsoing down Fer. If we cant control the suplly line, we will see more of the centre backs and Ruddy hoofing the ball forward. Ruddy was doing this too much yesterday for liking, and in most cases, this simply resulted in the ball coming back to us. We need another midfielder who is comfortable in possession and not immediately trying to lose the ball like it is some hot potato. The window will shut tomorrow and I think we will regret it if we dont strengthen this area. I am quite optimistic that we will see more than one loan player coming in (not counting the Aussie winger) rather than permanent signings.

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Morty - I think you are right about Hughton''s strategy, but this will be very vulnerable to clsoing down Fer. If we cant control the suplly line, we will see more of the centre backs and Ruddy hoofing the ball forward. Ruddy was doing this too much yesterday for liking, and in most cases, this simply resulted in the ball coming back to us. We need another midfielder who is comfortable in possession and not immediately trying to lose the ball like it is some hot potato. The window will shut tomorrow and I think we will regret it if we dont strengthen this area. I am quite optimistic that we will see more than one loan player coming in (not counting the Aussie winger) rather than permanent signings.[/quote]Lets not forget though, in that opting to play a single striker, we essentially have our number 10 joining the midfield when we don''t have the ball.I think the first half yesterday, especially, showed how you can expect us to set up this season.

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Morty - I think you are right about Hughton''s strategy, but this will be very vulnerable to clsoing down Fer. If we cant control the suplly line, we will see more of the centre backs and Ruddy hoofing the ball forward. Ruddy was doing this too much yesterday for liking, and in most cases, this simply resulted in the ball coming back to us. We need another midfielder who is comfortable in possession and not immediately trying to lose the ball like it is some hot potato. The window will shut tomorrow and I think we will regret it if we dont strengthen this area. I am quite optimistic that we will see more than one loan player coming in (not counting the Aussie winger) rather than permanent signings.[/quote]

Sorry for being pedantic, but we are only allowed two loans, and we already have Elmander so only one more allowed.