Sign in to follow this  
Gruffnuts

Supply from wings

I don''t post on here often, but I have been reading a lot of posts regarding RVW not getting enough service. Hearts on on MOTD2 made a good point that strikers get much better service if right footers are on right wing and left footers on left wings. Surely this way we can deliver a lot more balls into the box.

A lot of wingers now seem to swap around during games, and I think that snoddy and Redmond have the quality to be able to do this, giving us a nice mixture of delivering crosses to RVW and letting the wingers cut inside to shoot as per Redmond yesterday.

i want to see redmond on the right wing and watch him use his pace to beat the full back and cross for wolfie etc

snodgrass and redmond cut inside every time playing where they are at the minute, and i mean every single damn time, theres nothing wrong with it as such (as the goal showed) BUT its very very predictable and quite often you see them just run into a wall of players 20 yards out

also my reasoning is based on the fact we have a wolf whos living off bin scraps right now and actually putting some crosses in from wingers on the byline probably wont do him any harm

[quote user="splutcho"]Snodgrass is totally ineffective on the left, as shown time and time again last season.[/quote]Frankly I sometimes wonder what his best position actually is, he hasn''t really got the pace to be an out and out winger.

Exactly, I think there''s a lot of talk about a CAM supplying him, but I think that the main supply should be coming from the wings.

I think we may be using a cunning plan here

one of the noticable features of the games that RVW has played has been the use of both wings

the suggestion is that RVW is causing their defenders to concentrate on him at the expense of watching the wide men cutting in

Snoddy seemed hell bent on cutting in and having a shot as did Redmond with both a goal and a chance when he perhaps should have hit the ball across the goal ... likewise in the game against Everton it was Whittaker running through to shoot, and even a failed shot that led to RVWs goal

it is not always about crossing to the big man to header in

I think on the left hand side we have the best of both worlds with Garrido outside and Redmond inside. Of course they won''t always be able to hunt in pairs but with Bradley Johnson covering it reminded me of Huckerby, Drury and Gary Holt.

It would be good to experiment more. With Snodgrass and his lack of pace but decent shooting and dribbling he could play behind the striker, with Redmond and Pilks on the wings.

[quote user="Wishbone"]It would be good to experiment more. With Snodgrass and his lack of pace but decent shooting and dribbling he could play behind the striker, with Redmond and Pilks on the wings.[/quote]I see what you''re saying, I really do with that one.But this is an unforgiving league, there really aren''t any easy games where you can fanny about with trying things, unfortunately.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="splutcho"]Snodgrass is totally ineffective on the left, as shown time and time again last season.[/quote]

Frankly I sometimes wonder what his best position actually is, he hasn''t really got the pace to be an out and out winger.
[/quote]

His best position is where we play him now. I''ve seen him play other positions when he was at Leeds. He''s at his best on the right.

I don''t really have a problem with his pace because I think he''s got just enough of it to cause defenders problems - in combination with his close dribbling  when he slows it down and ability to commit defenders.

For me his biggest weakness, which goes back to his Leeds days, is too many touches on the ball. He is prone to over doing things and making life harder for himself or losing the ball.

But he can produce a lot of quality when he gets it right.

And one thing I do like about the guy is that he never stops trying. If nothing is coming off for him he''ll just pick the ball up again and have another go.

I would like to see Snoddy in the hole, pilks on the left, redmond right.

When Giroud scored vs Tottenham from the quick flat cross by Walcott, I was thinking that Wolf would have been in the same pos, making the same run as Giroud, but selfish Snoddy would never have noticed it. Instead, Snod would cut back on his left, waste a few precious seconds, killing off all movement in the box and leave Wolf stranded.

Snoddy in the present form is a liability. Get Pilks fit and Redmond on the right.

Norwich hit 22 crosses into the box against Everton (and one sliced shot) and only 3 of them made it to a Norwich player.

RvW is not a target man, if you hit crosses to him they will be easily defended. Against Southampton Whittaker and Redmond both had great chances to cross to RvW who had made space for himself but they both elected to shoot.

Crosses from the touchline are going to be of no help to Ricky.

All we need to do is sign left footed winger Balazs Dzsudzsak of Dynamo Moscow (ex-teammate of Toivonen at PSV). Got bags of pace, a very accurate crosser and dead ball taker. Liverpool were after him, but could not get him for 12m. Maybe a 15m bid would change the Russians'' mind. Come on Chris, you know this is the right thing to do! [:)]

If we had  the reported 10m for Quagliarella,  we probably have that sort of money, (or the roumoured sale of a winger could generate the bulk of the price), it is another issuse whether in the last few hours of the window we are willing to go as high, even if the player is a class act. (Probably not.) Dzsudzsak is a class act winger who would easily fir into many EPL sides, I believe his wage demands would not be too high either, the only problem with him is that after Anzhi bought him from PSV, then profited from selling him to Dynamo, Dynamo would have to take loss if they parted with him for any less...

[quote user="Budapest Canary"]If we had  the reported 10m for Quagliarella,  we probably have that sort of money, (or the roumoured sale of a winger could generate the bulk of the price), it is another issuse whether in the last few hours of the window we are willing to go as high, even if the player is a class act. (Probably not.) Dzsudzsak is a class act winger who would easily fir into many EPL sides, I believe his wage demands would not be too high either, the only problem with him is that after Anzhi bought him from PSV, then profited from selling him to Dynamo, Dynamo would have to take loss if they parted with him for any less...
[/quote]

If Norwich had 10m to spend on Quagliarella, Quagliarella would now be a Norwich City player.

As you said Dynamo Moscow paid 19m for him 18 months ago, I cannot see why they would want to sell him for any less and the player himself has said he is happy to remian at the club. I doubt he would suddenly want to move to Norwich (who would struggle to match the player''s wages).

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Budapest Canary"]If we had  the reported 10m for Quagliarella,  we probably have that sort of money, (or the roumoured sale of a winger could generate the bulk of the price), it is another issuse whether in the last few hours of the window we are willing to go as high, even if the player is a class act. (Probably not.) Dzsudzsak is a class act winger who would easily fir into many EPL sides, I believe his wage demands would not be too high either, the only problem with him is that after Anzhi bought him from PSV, then profited from selling him to Dynamo, Dynamo would have to take loss if they parted with him for any less... [/quote]

If Norwich had 10m to spend on Quagliarella, Quagliarella would now be a Norwich City player.

As you said Dynamo Moscow paid 19m for him 18 months ago, I cannot see why they would want to sell him for any less and the player himself has said he is happy to remian at the club. I doubt he would suddenly want to move to Norwich (who would struggle to match the player''s wages).

[/quote]While I''m still trying to get relyable wage figures at Dynamo, at Anzhi he may have been on around 50k (pounds) a week. Being a good pro, officially he always claims he is happy at his current club, and emphasizes his good terms with coach Petrescu, but various interviews with him in the Hungarian sports media make it obvious that he''d be thrilled by a move to the EPL, he''s simply aware that the decision is not in his hands. May not be a realistic target as yet, but a year ago a few of us would have thought of chasing players of Quagliarella''s or Wolfswinkel''s ilk in the foreseeable future... 

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

Lool. Never occured to you that Quag did not want to come here? Smoked your socks?

Ultimately, player decides, you know. Same with Alderweireld and Toivonen. Deals with clubs agreed, player won''t come nevertheless.

[quote user="Wishbone"]It would be good to experiment more. With Snodgrass and his lack of pace but decent shooting and dribbling he could play behind the striker, with Redmond and Pilks on the wings.[/quote]

This.