Sign in to follow this  
Crispy

RVW was promised a marquee CAM signing ....

When RVW signed he hinted that our ambition swayed him to come to us, hinting that we promised a CAM to play behind him.

My question is have we actually signed that player ? (Fer perhaps, Redmond ?) Or has the proposed player turned us down ? Or will they sign tomorrow on deadline day ?

Hope we do find someone else to feed RVW ... feeling a bit sorry for him at the moment. Could be a long season for him.

I feel sorry for RvW too. All that intelligent running for position for nothing. When a Wolf is starving he will search for new hunting grounds. It`s his natural instinct. Feed him!

It must be a bit of a shock for some to learn that football has moved on from the 1950''s and Nat Lofthouses style of play.

Time will tell whether we have resolved it but so far in 3 games we have tried three players and none have lasted the whole game there

Elmander may succeed - but this suggests that so far we dont have the answer.

To be fair I think they''re still learning each others games at the moment, some are learning the league and Redmond is still learning his trade.

RVW took up a couple of good goal scoring positions against Southampton but just wasn''t picked out.

A lot of our success over recent seasons came from the understanding Holt and Hoolahan had developed. They knew where to look for each other.

It won''t be easy because they''re playing against guys that read the game very quickly or cover the ground very quickly or both. But it''s early days and the more they play together the better it''ll get.

Again I will state that it is no longer a case of ''run down the wing, hoof it over and RVW nods it in''

At the moment he is pulling defenders with him. If that is opening up the defence to be ran at so be it.

Something I would suggest that is often overlooked and is certainly not a coincidence.

He looks extremely sharp with his head, Far more than simply winning the ball and it bouncing off anywhere. this will be known by the opposition who it seems are already trying to ''snuff him out'' by close marking.

Expect far more goals coming through from the midfield players.

Looks like Real are selling Ozil to help get some of the money back they paid for Bale! Worth a bid?

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]An AM and two wingers. That was the plan anyway.[/quote]

That was what I remembered. We could be talking two wingers and Hooper. I''ve got to assume that the plan is to play Hooper and RVW in the same team. We''d have quite a strong bench too. Problem is so does everyone else!

This is the interview in question. How reliable it is in terms of what may have been said/meant/promised/hinted at/raised as a possibilty is a question:

Talking to the Dutch magazine Voetbal International, Van Wolfswinkel said: "The club is in the middle of the table and very ambitious, this summer they will be debt free and will get on strong."The plan is also to bring in an attacking midfielder and two wide players this summer. With that, Norwich can look to play in the top half of the table."Hughton, who tracked Van Wolfswinkel during the January transfer window along with Celtic striker Gary Hooper, believes the 6ft 2ins frontman can bring some much-needed goal power to his side, who have often deployed captain Grant Holt as a lone striker this season.

Van Wolfswinkel is determined to repay that confidence next season. "That a club would spend so much money, in these times, shows their faith in me," he said. "I have been to Norwich to look around and spoken to the manager and chief executive over their plans for the future."I don''t know much about Norwich, but the city and the club surprised me - the stadium has 25,000 (capacity) and there are 5,000 fans on a waiting list for (season) tickets on top of that which shows the status of the club.

"I had a good talk with the manager, Chris Hughton. He was very specific about my qualities and wants to build a strong team around him. That gives good trust."

Thanks to PC for digging up that interview. Notice that there is no "promise of a marquee CAM" just a "plan to bring in an AM and two wide players". We tried to get Toivonen (an AM) and then Quagliarella (SS) but failed so the intent (and the funds) were there. We have one wide man in Redmond and possibly another in Olsson depending on how you look at it.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Thanks to PC for digging up that interview. Notice that there is no "promise of a marquee CAM" just a "plan to bring in an AM and two wide players". We tried to get Toivonen (an AM) and then Quagliarella (SS) but failed so the intent (and the funds) were there. We have one wide man in Redmond and possibly another in Olsson depending on how you look at it.[/quote]

It may not even have been somerthing as half-definite as "a plan". It may have been a vague hope that has been upgraded by RvW (this is not a criticism) and/or upgraded in translation to a plan.

I would love to see us try and pinch Tom Ince. we could get him for about the same money as we were going to spend on Quagliarella and we may be able to entice him with the fact that we can guarantee him more first team football than other teams.

Two good things two bad things about Saturday.Good things:  More bodies in the box; nathan redmond. Bad things:  Poor service from wings and GK; no creativity in midfield.I thought that Jonny Howson was supposed to supply the creativity but it wasn''t there.

Just to clarify Howson came on for the last 15mins - I was hoping that he would have replaced one of the holding CMs rather than Elmander and therefore been able to create something for Wolfswinkel. Delivery from the wings was poor and we had too many touches on the ball in the final third.I also tend to slip into the old habit of thinking of those on the wing as wingers. I thought that Redmond had a terrific game and was the probably the most creative and effective player on the pitch. His goal was essentially a piece of individual class.

Did you really think there was no creativity? We had more chances than Southampton did. I''d also say that Fer''s impressive swith of play to Redmond gave him a bit of space to run at the defence.

Howson came on for Elmander to tighten up the midfield and protect the lead. It was a pretty even game and it would have been silly to push on further after the goal and forget our defensive responsibilities.

Flecky''s Flip-Flop wrote the following post at 02/09/2013 12:34 PM:

"Howson came on for Elmander to tighten up the midfield and protect the lead."

Exactly this, if we were leading 3-0 at that point and Elmander needed a rest then we would have brought lightweight Wes on instead to try to up our goal difference.