Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

The Wolf

Worked his nuts off, collapsed in a heap at the final whistle.

Didn''t get much service as the game was pretty tight, won a couple of headers in the box but didn''t really have a clear chance. Got himself into some excellent positions but didn''t get the ball. Two in particular, the first from Whittaker in the first half where he smashed it across the six yard box where RVW and dropped back into space and the 2nd where Redmond went for goal himself rather than cut it back, but you could forgive him for that after already scoring.

His movement really is excellent, once the front line click and learn each others games I think he''ll be on the score sheet regularly.

It''s early days yet but there''s promising signs. We must have signed Hooper to play with him, probably where Elmander played yesterday, so that''s something to look forward too. I''m quite confident that our new attacking options will be as successful as our new defensive options were last season. I also still think we did that the right way around but I know you two don''t agree.

One thing that was cleared up on Saturday was Whittaker starting at right back, Bassong at centreback with the unlucky Martin on the bench[:P][B][;)]

Ricky probably ran more in one game against Southampton than Cureton ever ran in a Norwich shirt.

My first time seeing RvW in the flesh on Saturday, and I know it has been said a million times already and in some ways sounds a bit hollow without the goals to go along with it, but...

His movement is excellent, he managed to occupy Lovern and Fonte single handedly (giving Redmond and Snodgrass the extra space they needed), he closed down defenders and midfielders all game long and if Whittaker and Redmond had cut back would have probably scored a couple. He should also certainly have got one goal from the penalty against Snoddy that was never given.

In his first game Norwich hit too many long balls at him, and he struggled with Distin, against Hull he got no service at all with 4 players around him at nearly all times and against Southampton his movement created spaces for others to operate in. Despite what commentators keep saying, he isn''t a striker like Soldado or Bent who only comes alive in the box, he works tirelessly to create space and occupy defenders. He isn''t a striker who will score 20 goals a season (or even 15) but he''ll help others get goals - the amount of pressure on him is getting ridiculous, especially considering he has already scored one excellent goal.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

It''s early days yet but there''s promising signs. We must have signed Hooper to play with him, probably where Elmander played yesterday, so that''s something to look forward too. I''m quite confident that our new attacking options will be as successful as our new defensive options were last season. I also still think we did that the right way around but I know you two don''t agree.

One thing that was cleared up on Saturday was Whittaker starting at right back, Bassong at centreback with the unlucky Martin on the bench[:P][B][;)]

[/quote]

Fair dues but I have it on gd authority he also had a slight knock :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Rickey Ran around a lot and got into good positions... but then so did Jamie Cureton...

*tin hat on.....*[/quote]Lol, brave[:D]

i think he looks a better player when he drops deep to get the ball, he can play with it at his feet as you would expect for a Dutchman, doesnt really have the strength for city to keep hoofing it up in the air and hoping he wins headers, centre backs will lean over him everytime

suspect we might just see him in the hole and hooper ahead of him battling eventually

Perhaps last season players like Whittaker & Snodgrass got used to having a go themselves because Grant wasn''t athletic enough to get into the positions that Ricky does.

Hopefully Hughton will be pointing out the extra opportunities that he now provides.

Are some people not perhaps getting that he isn''t the same type of striker that Holt was?His game is totally different, Ricky wasn''t brought here to be a workhorse. I''m happy that once the new players all bed in, and get used to each others games, Ricky''s goals will come.

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote] Fair dues but I have it on gd authority he also had a slight knock :)[/quote]

That''d be it then [B][N][:''(]

Thought at some time during the game Elmander and Wolf would have swopped.

Wolf needs some regular touches of the ball and goes long periods without. Could have used Elmander as a classic striker and I think Wolf would have more chances to shine.

Agree however that his movement is first class and will score important goals.

Looking forward to Hooper getting a run in the team. The lad will suit our game and has goals in him.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I also still think we did that the right way around but I know you two don''t agree.

[/quote]

I''ve never said that Nutty, I agree with you as it happens, but I can''t be bothered to get into all that again.

I also agree that there were plenty of promising signs on Saturday, not sure I agree about Hooper playing in the hole if they play together though, would have thought it was more likely to be the other way round personally.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

I also still think we did that the right way around but I know you two don''t agree.

[/quote]

I''ve never said that Nutty, I agree with you as it happens, but not when you said it and I can''t be bothered to get into all that again.[;)]

I also agree that there were plenty of promising signs on Saturday, not sure I agree about Hooper playing in the hole if they play together though, would have thought it was more likely to be the other way round personally.

[/quote]

I''m just a senile old bugga and don''t get what this hole is. As far as I can see the player behind RVW is expected to drop back into the midfiled as well as getting forwards and linking play. I feel RVW would be totally wasted there. His movement is so clever that I always want to see him on the shoulder of the last man or in the box. But we shall see. It''s exciting times whatever [Y]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I''ve never said that Nutty, I agree with you as it happens, but not when you said it and I can''t be bothered to get into all that again.[;)]

[/quote]

I''m just a senile old bugga and don''t get what this hole is. As far as I can see the player behind RVW is expected to drop back into the midfiled as well as getting forwards and linking play. I feel RVW would be totally wasted there. His movement is so clever that I always want to see him on the shoulder of the last man or in the box. But we shall see. It''s exciting times whatever [Y]

[/quote]

I don''t think I''ve seen a single post from anyone anywhere saying that Hughton was wrong to spend money improving the defence when he took over, certainly not from myself, it was the balance of our play that I and others had concerns over but as I said, I''m not getting into all that again. His signings have been fantastic both last season and this.

I agree with what you''ve said about RVW''s movement, but I''d think his superior technical abilities would suit him to the hole more than Hooper, that''s not to say that I think Hooper is better up front though.

Exciting times indeed Nutty!

[quote user="ron obvious"]Perhaps last season players like Whittaker & Snodgrass got used to having a go themselves because Grant wasn''t athletic enough to get into the positions that Ricky does.

Hopefully Hughton will be pointing out the extra opportunities that he now provides.[/quote]Agreed.The Wolf was also caught offside a few times, which shows that once the timing has been worked out, there''s goals to be had.