Sign in to follow this  
splutcho

Bradley Johnson

Johnson had a really good game. Howson just never seems to perform in the central midfield position. Most Leeds fans said when he joined us that he was a good AM but was carp when he played at CM. When he plays there he is just so anonymous. Is he better in the AM position than Elmander or Hoolahan? He certainly doesnt have Hoolahans creativity or dynamism, but is probably more of a direct threat on goal. Think Fer has to play CM - we need his talents influencing the game in the thick of it. For me BJ and Fer hold the shirts at present. I wouldnt be too disappointed if we stopped seeing Howson considered at CM

[quote user="iron_stan"]johnsons a better athlete and ball winneri like howson and think hes a better player technically but he was lazy and didnt really get into the game yesterday when he came onsell one of them and get gyllfi sigurrson from spurs ;)[/quote]

Disagree with that. Howson is more of an athlete in my opinion. BJ just runs around more, mostly headless chicken like, which gives the illusion he''s far fitter and athletic than howson. Could you ever see BJ bursting through like Howson at man city last season? Howson just needs the right partner and Fer is that man.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Johnson had a really good game. Howson just never seems to perform in the central midfield position. Most Leeds fans said when he joined us that he was a good AM but was carp when he played at CM. When he plays there he is just so anonymous. Is he better in the AM position than Elmander or Hoolahan? He certainly doesnt have Hoolahans creativity or dynamism, but is probably more of a direct threat on goal. Think Fer has to play CM - we need his talents influencing the game in the thick of it. For me BJ and Fer hold the shirts at present. I wouldnt be too disappointed if we stopped seeing Howson considered at CM[/quote]

Wrong. Howson never seems to perform in CM when next to BJ. Don''t think he''s played there with anyone else, stick him with Fer and see what happens.

I thought he was poor first half but second was much stronger, starting to form a partnership with fer, being much more defensive minded and passing more effectively (basiscally simpler passes)

Stick to that and it the best way to use him - but my preference would remain tettey in that role

[quote user="iron_stan"]johnsons a better athlete and ball winner

i like howson and think hes a better player technically but he was lazy and didnt really get into the game yesterday when he came on

[/quote]

He wasn''t lazy at all.

He just couldn''t get into the rhythm of the game, which can happen when you come off the bench with not a lot of time to get involved. Especially in that advanced position too where you''re not necessarily in the thick of the action.

I think with all players you have to look at year on year improvement, in their abilities and how they develop.

Some find the change of pace in different leagues tough, Andrew crofts being one who got a move back to the champ and is performing very well, Korey smith another. It is how the game rolls on. We have players who have left this summer who may have already peaked Tierney, holty and hopefully fox.

For me we have players in our first 11 and squad who have struggled to move on year on year and improve.

Russell Martin has steadily improved, but as we improve we may out grow him this season with more £££ coming in when we stay up. But he is improving year on year so he is an important cog.

Eb for me has not improved greatly since his arrival, again it is my opinion and Bradley Johnson again is that gritty player, he isn''t going to be cultured on the ball. But by now he should be able to get a shot on target. I bet the stats show he has never had a shot on target, headers we know. But shots in the prem who knows.

So there are players I watch throughout the year to see if there is that improvement, if not then they drop down the pecking order and rightly so, we are still rising up and new additions highlight them as eventual weaknesses.

To be at a club for 10 years is very rare now and this is the reason.

I would like another midfielder to come in today, with Bradley Johnson and the midfield options from last year we struggled in the middle of the park. He is a good player for the last 10-15 minutes but if we want to continue to grow then that position is a position we will address now or in the upcoming windows.

[quote user="HoltsDerbyDayHattrick"]Some of you need to give the guy a break, both Lambert and Hughton obviously see something in him. He barely put a foot wrong against Southampton.[/quote]

Huzzah![Y]

[quote user="Tony Moore"]You watched a different game to the one I saw. He gave the ball away at least 10 times today. Yes, he made some good tackles and covered well in the midfield but his passing is still simply not good enough. Fer made him look like a championship player. There were a few others who''s passing was worse today though.[/quote Out of interest I had a close look at Johnson today. In the first half he passed successfully 18 out of 20 passes, and I think the second half wasn''t a lot different. Don''t let the truth stand in the way of a good prejudice.][/quote]

It''s called the scapegoat factor. Happens all the time.

There''s a reason why he was consistently selected by Lambert, and has been consistently selected by Hughton since his arrival. And that''s ahead of players like Howson & Tettey.

Overall I think Johnson''s a better player than Tettey. Howson is a better footballer but he is probably the most inconsistent player we have. Occasionally plays a blinder and other times does seemingly naff all.

Johnson is a vital member of the starting 11. I think you''ll notice that if he''s out for a couple of games.

He''s absolutely brilliant at what he does but seriously lacking when it comes to his forward play.

I know you doubt it. But football is a team game and for the better players to shine others have to do the unglamorous stuff that will be unnoticed.

I''m not his biggest fan but he certainly impressed on Sat. Part of that, though, was that he essentially had half the work to do given how incredible Leroy was.

Both easily looked better than Wanyama, who was absolutely atrocious all game.