Sign in to follow this  
splutcho

Bradley Johnson

I don''t want to totally rip into him, I do like the guy, but just how bad was his passing tonight? I''d guess his pass success rate was about 60%. You could see him getting really wound up with himself, and on one occasion Hughton turned away in disgust.

Wouldn''t be surprised to see him dropped this weekend.

He''s not had a great start to the season and his passing isn''t the best when he is on form.

Could well be benched on Saturday.

Some games BJ seems to have his boots on the wrong feet!

I lost count of his misplaced passes last night; when he starts like that, he rarely improves as the game goes on...

Seems like a similar sort of thread to your Hoolahan enigma thread. Too lightweight in the tackle etc.

Seems like what is good for one is good for another.

Did anyone see how CH reacted when BJ''s passes kept going astray?Does anyone think that Tettey''s absence last night means that he is nailed on to play against the Saints?

[quote user="Downloads"]

Seems like a similar sort of thread to your Hoolahan enigma thread. Too lightweight in the tackle etc.

Seems like what is good for one is good for another.

[/quote]You saying Bradley is lightweight in the tackle?You can hardly compare the two. One is a young player with a career ahead of him, who plays an extremely defined role in teh team, the other is a player coming to the end of his career, who still remains extremely difficult to fit into systems we play.Bradley Johnson does what he says on the tin, he''s a midfield destroyer, he breaks up play, theres really not a lot to debate about that.

Morty,You are largly right about BJ - I just wish he would stick to be a destroyer and immediately giving the ball to someone that can pass. The question that I wanted to pose to you though was whether in the modern game you feel a team can afford the luxury of someone who (hypothetically in the case of BJ) was just a destroyer. Personally, I think we need to upgrade both BJ and Tettey so that we can have someone that can play in this role AND pass. Howson is no DM and see him as competing for the crowded AM position.Also, what the hell has happened to Butterfield? I thought that last night would have been a great opportunity to give the guy a chance, which he has never had with us. CH obviously thinks he is not good enough, but i for one would have liked to see him get some game time with us.

No I was saying your Hoolahan thread was negative, at least I couldn''t see any positives in it. You asked questions but went on to say he couldn''t play on the wing and was lightweight in the tackle without pointing out his good points.

Johnson is a midfield destroyer who when he wins the ball, promptly gives it back to the other team. Not a lot of debate about that one.

Can''t afford to have someone in the team who doesn''t have a clue what to do with a football.

Anyway, i''m off to Winterton with the kids to do some skimming. I''ll respond to your inevitable reply when I get back.

[quote user="Downloads"]

No I was saying your Hoolahan thread was negative, at least I couldn''t see any positives in it. You asked questions but went on to say he couldn''t play on the wing and was lightweight in the tackle without pointing out his good points.

Johnson is a midfield destroyer who when he wins the ball, promptly gives it back to the other team. Not a lot of debate about that one.

Can''t afford to have someone in the team who doesn''t have a clue what to do with a football.

Anyway, i''m off to Winterton with the kids to do some skimming. I''ll respond to your inevitable reply when I get back.

[/quote]Oh sorry, you just want to put your point across, but have no interest in mine?"Doesn''t have a clue what to do with a football" Yeah, thats incisive football analysis right there, I bow to your superior debating skills.Hoolahan has always been an enigma, how you saw my thread is up to you.Enjoy your day[Y]

Johnson did some really good tackles again tonight and can''t fault the effort he puts in but surely at this level his distribution is way below acceptable!

Like I said Morty, I don''t really want to rip into him. I still think he has a role with us, I just thought his particularly poor passing last night and specifically Hughton''s reaction to it was worth mentioning.

I do miss Fox tbh, that was his best attribute and he was unlucky to loose his place in the team (all be it a long time ago now). He could also tackle a guy too, Hughton must see Johnson as a more complete midfielder, but I still don''t think his vision for a pass is as good as Fox.

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Morty,You are largly right about BJ - I just wish he would stick to be a destroyer and immediately giving the ball to someone that can pass. The question that I wanted to pose to you though was whether in the modern game you feel a team can afford the luxury of someone who (hypothetically in the case of BJ) was just a destroyer. Personally, I think we need to upgrade both BJ and Tettey so that we can have someone that can play in this role AND pass. Howson is no DM and see him as competing for the crowded AM position.Also, what the hell has happened to Butterfield? I thought that last night would have been a great opportunity to give the guy a chance, which he has never had with us. CH obviously thinks he is not good enough, but i for one would have liked to see him get some game time with us.[/quote]Obviously he isn''t a destroyer like they were ten years ago, despite the fact he hasn''t had a great start to the season, he CAN play a simple pass, seriously if he was that bad would he be getting a game?I tend to find that players like him are an easy target for people who don''t read the game very well. Its an unglamourous role, frankly sometimes its nigh on impossible to look great playing it. Gary Holt was always a favourite of mine too.We saw last season that his passing has massively improved, I think, as with most things, it is way too early to be making snap judgements, there are new players in the team, it takes time to gain understanding between them.For me this smacks a little of trying to find a new scapegoat.

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]

Also, what the hell has happened to Butterfield? I thought that last night would have been a great opportunity to give the guy a chance, which he has never had with us. CH obviously thinks he is not good enough, but i for one would have liked to see him get some game time with us.
[/quote]

Why are you so keen to see him play if it appears to be quite obvious the manager and staff don''t think he''s up to it? It''s not as if we''re short of good players. In other words, better players are ahead of him. Why play someone inferior for the sake of it?

If he was as good as has been made out by some people then he''d surely be more involved than what he is.

[quote user="splutcho"]Like I said Morty, I don''t really want to rip into him. I still think he has a role with us, I just thought his particularly poor passing last night and specifically Hughton''s reaction to it was worth mentioning.[/quote]I think though that making judgements about anything, based on a 6-3 win in the cup over league 2 opposition, maybe isn''t the best idea.But you''re right, he does need to pick his game up a little to keep his place.

GJP,I think you are probably right, but I will we ever know without seeing him play for a decent amount of a game. I think the outcome is obvious, but is is just a matter of curiosity for me know.

Morty,I think you are right about snap judgements, which I was interested if anyone saw CHs reaction to BJ. I saw somewhere on WOTB this morning that he is throwing his hands up in the air a couple of times. I guess I am just trying to ascertain CH''s thinking for his first choice CM partnership and I wondered whether the absence of Tettey last night was an indication of this.

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]GJP,

I think you are probably right, but I will we ever know without seeing him play for a decent amount of a game. I think the outcome is obvious, but is is just a matter of curiosity for me know.
[/quote]

We might not know but they see him in training every day. If he''s not impressing at Colney then why bother putting him in the team ahead of players who deserve it more?

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Morty,You are largly right about BJ - I just wish he would stick to be a destroyer and immediately giving the ball to someone that can pass. The question that I wanted to pose to you though was whether in the modern game you feel a team can afford the luxury of someone who (hypothetically in the case of BJ) was just a destroyer. Personally, I think we need to upgrade both BJ and Tettey so that we can have someone that can play in this role AND pass. Howson is no DM and see him as competing for the crowded AM position.Also, what the hell has happened to Butterfield? I thought that last night would have been a great opportunity to give the guy a chance, which he has never had with us. CH obviously thinks he is not good enough, but i for one would have liked to see him get some game time with us.[/quote]

Unfortunately players that can tackle, pass and create are few and far between and come at a premium.

BJ has a role in the side, my gripe about Saturday is that he was played alongside Tettey, who is very similar to BJ, good in the tackle but ineffective going forward. For me he should be played alongside Fer, giving him the ball at every opportunity and allowing him to drive forward and link up with Howson (who would be my No.10) and RVW.

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Morty,I think you are right about snap judgements, which I was interested if anyone saw CHs reaction to BJ. I saw somewhere on WOTB this morning that he is throwing his hands up in the air a couple of times. I guess I am just trying to ascertain CH''s thinking for his first choice CM partnership and I wondered whether the absence of Tettey last night was an indication of this.[/quote]Hughton was probably fairly keen to win the game, he knew that a good performance was important last night. Showing frustration if a pass was misplaced doesn''t necessarily translate to "I''m going to drop Bradley"I thought Tettey had a good game on Saturday, and probably warrants a place in the team on Saturday. But the trouble with Tettey, in my opinion, is that you''re never going to get a whole season out of him, either in terms of quality, or just in terms of appearances.Bradley, for his perceived faults is pretty consistent, and sometimes that can have real value in a team.

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Morty,You are largly right about BJ - I just wish he would stick to be a destroyer and immediately giving the ball to someone that can pass. The question that I wanted to pose to you though was whether in the modern game you feel a team can afford the luxury of someone who (hypothetically in the case of BJ) was just a destroyer. Personally, I think we need to upgrade both BJ and Tettey so that we can have someone that can play in this role AND pass. Howson is no DM and see him as competing for the crowded AM position.Also, what the hell has happened to Butterfield? I thought that last night would have been a great opportunity to give the guy a chance, which he has never had with us. CH obviously thinks he is not good enough, but i for one would have liked to see him get some game time with us.[/quote]

Unfortunately players that can tackle, pass and create are few and far between and come at a premium.

BJ has a role in the side, my gripe about Saturday is that he was played alongside Tettey, who is very similar to BJ, good in the tackle but ineffective going forward. For me he should be played alongside Fer, giving him the ball at every opportunity and allowing him to drive forward and link up with Howson (who would be my No.10) and RVW.[/quote]You''re right, BJ and Tettey should never be in the same team.

Perhaps some time on the bench as understudy to Tettey (for as you say when he runs out of steam) may focus BJ''s hunger?

Louis Cyphre - I was watching Hughton a lot last night and yes he did look visibly frustrated with BJ (throwing his hands in the air, shaking his head in disbelief, turning away in disgust and walking to the bench).

Now as Morty says, I doubt it means he''s nailed on to drop him, but it does show that he definitely picked up on it.

Passing isnt his strength, he is the ball winner and the tracker.  He needs to be next to Fer who can pas it when given it.So stop trying to find bloody fault in EVERY aspect of our team and club.

We''re not. He''s a professional footballer and his passing at present is not good enough. I''m not expecting 60 yard passes to be straight to feet, but it''s getting to be simple stuff that he''s not doing right.

This is a forum for discussion, and this is what we''re currently discussing. If you don''t wish to partake, fine, go away and let people that want to talk maturely about our team get on with it.

I remember another midfielder we had getting berated for his passing ability. But his presence in the side allowed others to be more expressive. His name was Gary Holt and we didn''t half miss him when he went. Football is a team game and you can''t judge each player by the same standards. A successful team is full of players with different qualities that compliment each other.  

Ref89,Agreed passing isnt his strength. So I have two questions for you:1. Why does he persist and not do as you and I have suggested, lay it off to a passer? Is this because of poor coaching/man management or because the player repeatedly fails to take in the coaching/man management. It has to be one or the other.2. Can any modern team afford the luxury of having one player who wins the ball and tracks, but cant pass. This would place a hue amount of pressure on fer which opposition teams would quickly work out.Having a constructive debate about these issues is not picking a fault in every aspect of the team or club. I have been worried about this for some time and only want us to improve. The inverse to your logic is that we should preserve for perpetuity how we played last season. CH obviously doesnt share this view which is why he dismantled the squad.