Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Butterfield

Keep hoping that ''The New Paul Gascoigne'' is going to emerge, but find it confusing that, if he is a player Hughton rates, he wasnt involved last night. Similarly, the same about Becchio. If Becchio''s main criticism is that he is a lower league striker and not Premiership class, surely you play him against a league 2 side?

Cant help but think Butterfield and Becchio''s days are numbered if Hughton isnt even willing to give them a run against 4th tier opposition. Or perhaps he just wanted to avoid another Luton. Even so its not a statement that he trusts them to get the job done, so cant think he see''s them as having a future. Very sad. Dont think Becchio has had a chance to prove anything really, and had such high hopes for Butterfield. Again though, if you want them out, surely put them in the shop window? I guess Luton must have been on his mind

I''m starting to wonder if Butterfield was a practical joke Lambert played on Norwich when he knew he was going to leave...

Only joking, but I have never seen anything in his (brief) apperances that suggests he is cut out for the Premier League; he played well for Barnsley in the Championship for about 4 - 6 months and scored a few long range efforts (although missed a hell of a lot more) so got himself some impressive YouTube videos.

The fact that he failed to break into the Bolton or Palace first teams while on loan last season suggests he isn''t ''the next Paul Gascoigne''. I imagine if a team came in with a decent offer Norwich would quite happily sell up.

I''ve just commented on Butterfield in the Bradley Johnson thread.

Basically, we have quite clearly got better players. Same with Becchio.

Butterfield played for both Bolton and Palace last season and yet it doesn''t appear either of those clubs have made any effort to bring him back. Nor does it look like anyone else has been particularly keen on him. Which you''d see as being a bit unusual if he''s as good as some fans have made him out to be.

Hughton said in interview that after Hull he wanted to put out a strong team, which he certainly did.We were never going to risk someone like Butterfield last night.But, yeah, its a bit of a mystery. I fancy taking in a reserve game soon, if he plays, to see what he has to offer.

The team last night consisted mainly of those returning from injury and new guys. It was more or less a late pre-season workout for those expected to be in the match day squad.

Realistically whilst we remain in the premier league there is no 1st team future for ayala, fox, butterfield & becchio. Take them out of the equation and that leaves us with 22 and its possible we still might add a couple more.

Ruddy Bunn Nash

Whittaker Martin

Olsson Garrido

Bassong Turner R.Benett

Snodgrass E.Bennett

Pilkington Redmond

Johnson Tettey Howson Fer Hoolahan

RVW Hooper Elmander

E4E,I think Redmond doesnt count, so assuming your analysis of the unwanted is correct, that leaves room for two more players to come in (Benno wont bea named in the squad). The most obvious gap is CB and possibly AM. I personally think that Hoolahan''s days are numbered if we sign somoen like the Quag as well as a CB.

I think that last night''s game was too soon after new signings who needed  to play - especially Elmander, Fer and Olsson. It was important that they gained  game time well before Saturday, when they will surely be picked. (I also think that after last year''s cup embarrassments CH decided to select a strong team.)

It''s hard on Butterfield and Becchio that because of signings and the need for time on the pitch for them, they were overlooked. Possibly when the next round of the cup arrives, and the new signings are established players, the two and others like Fox, will get a game.

I have to say that CH does not criticise these peripheral players, rightly, but his selections do suggest that they are low in his valuations and preferences.

[quote user="Salopian"]

I think that last night''s game was too soon after new signings who needed  to play - especially Elmander, Fer and Olsson. It was important that they gained  game time well before Saturday, when they will surely be picked. (I also think that after last year''s cup embarrassments CH decided to select a strong team.)

It''s hard on Butterfield and Becchio that because of signings and the need for time on the pitch for them, they were overlooked. Possibly when the next round of the cup arrives, and the new signings are established players, the two and others like Fox, will get a game.

I have to say that CH does not criticise these peripheral players, rightly, but his selections do suggest that they are low in his valuations and preferences.

[/quote]In any squad system there will always be players that are on the fringes. Unless you are a big team, competing in all cups, and maybe Champions league, you''re never going to have a full squad of nailed on starters.Perhaps we are making too much of these fringe players perhaps having no place at our club?

If you were Hughton, with a moronic bunch of fans screaming for your job, would you have played butterfield, Fox and Becchio last night.There''s your answer.

[quote user="Salopian"]

[/quote]

What seems to be continually forgotten is that we reached the quarter finals last year where we lost to Villa. During that run we also beat Spurs. Are we that good that anything less than semis or final is an embarrassment now?[;)]

Discussed this at the game last night, my view is that if he can''t get a game last night, he doesn''t have a future here. It''s a strange one though, maybe it''s an attitude thing or maybe Hughton simply doesn''t think he''s up to it?

Tricky one with him. I envisage another loan move now. I bet we are just waiting to make sure we get the attacking mid we are after. Same with Ayala and a new defender.

Surely it is not a good situation to have certain players who the manager absolutely will not pick under any circumstances. Ask the question, what scenario would have to happen that might see players like Fox, Butterfield or Becchio get a game? Nothing but the largest injury or illness crisis. If thats the case, surely it cant be good to have these players knocking around, getting more and more disillusioned?

I know that U21 players dont count in the squad of 25, but wouldnt it be healthier to have a core of players that the manager is willing to pick, with the gaps filled in by younger prospects, who might get a chance to develop when called upon, and who wont see themselves as stagnated and out of favour. Fox and Butterfield seem to be squad fillers for the sake of it. Surely their role could be filled by a youth prospect (perhaps that is how Butterfield is seen) which would result in a much more positive feeling within the squad. Hughton doesnt seem prepared to call on Fox or Butterfield under any circumstances, so their presence seems rather pointless.

This is an odd one and I too am curious to see where the lad is in his development.

I too might catch a reserves game soon. Fancy a beer Morty and we can discuss how your Idiot filter is tuned?[:D]

Snake

I dont think Jacob Butterfield will ever play for us again...

Transfer window shuts next week, might be best for all parties to move him on.

25 is a big number for 11 places. Of course there''s more in the match day squad as a whole. But there''s going to be some who are first choice and some who really are making up the numbers just in case. The trick I suppose is to somehow keep them all happy. It is of course possible that we want rid of some but they don''t want to go. However there''s no such thing as a shop window anymore. It''s all conducted by agents whether the player is playing or not.

[quote user="Eadie4England"]Realistically whilst we remain in the premier league there is no 1st team future for ayala, fox, butterfield & becchio. Take them out of the equation and that leaves us with 22 and its possible we still might add a couple more.

Ruddy Bunn Nash

Whittaker Martin

Olsson Garrido

Bassong Turner R.Benett

Snodgrass E.Bennett

Pilkington Redmond

Johnson Tettey Howson Fer Hoolahan

RVW Hooper Elmander[/quote]

Still need another CB imo

I think you could argue a case for a centre back, number 10 & right wing cover. Would highly doubt all three. Reckon we will get a loan as right wing cover.

[quote user="snake-eyes"]

This is an odd one and I too am curious to see where the lad is in his development.

I too might catch a reserves game soon. Fancy a beer Morty and we can discuss how your Idiot filter is tuned?[:D]

Snake

[/quote]Sounds like a plan[Y]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="snake-eyes"]

Snake

[/quote]

Sounds like a plan[Y]
[/quote]

Can I come[B][:^)]

You know what they say about 3 Nutty? [;)]

If Morty doesn''t mind it would be great to meet you both finally!

When is the next one you are both available for?

Snake

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="morty"][quote user="snake-eyes"]

Snake

[/quote]Sounds like a plan[Y][/quote]

Can I come[B][:^)]

[/quote] Yes lol.

Though I have just looked at the under 21 fixtures and I will be back at work when the next home one is[:(]

Hearing Butterfield has gone to Boro on a 3 year contract.

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere.