Sign in to follow this  
Bill

25 man squad - we have 24 players so far

As Redmond is under 21 and Elliot Bennett will not be named in this squad

So even if we bring in one more player it means Ayala and Fox will be staying

Should imagine that is why they have not moved yet - waiting to see if we can bring anyone else in, if not they will be needed

Although we don''t have to max out our 25 spaces, I think it will see them all registered in the squad and then sent on loan with a recall clause (makes sense for everyone). Including Becchio getting some games

So we have now finalised the squad in a 4 2 3 1 formation...

**********************Ruddy************************

***********************Bunn************************

Whittaker***Turner*********Bassong****Garrido

Martin*******Bennett********Ayala********Olsson

**************Fer**************Johnson************

*************Howson*********Tettey***************

Snodgrass***********Elmander**********Redmond

Bennett*************Hoolahan***********Pilkington

*******************Van Wolfswinkel*****************

**********************Hooper*************************

Theres 22 (1 long term injury) in addition, we have Fox and Becchio on the books, there''s 24. 2 free spaces given Redmonds age. I''d guess Redmond will cover both wings, Olsson will cover the left side meaning there is still 2 for each position. My only real concern is that Bassong better stay fit! We are going to need him as i just don''t trust any other combos.

Ya know, no one will agree with me, but if we get short on wingers, I would rather see us give the Muphey''s a few minutes on the pitch if others get tired at the end of a match.

People like Barkley at Everton need a few mins on the pitch and suddenly they can be worth a few bob almost immediately.

Exactly, and if one of them dribbles round a defender and scores, they are suddenly worth £15m and mooted for England! What is there to lose?

I have some sympathy with what Lincoln is saying.

I would say we are a winger short - But in my opinion rather than give someone else experience we should play the Murphey''s on occasion.

My main concern is defence. We only have 7 defenders. I''m not over the moon by that but it is what it is now. Really think we needed a right back or a centre back, whichever spot Martin isn''t aimed at. I know he can play both but rule of thumb is you need 2 players for every slot, which leaves us short.

Last season we had 2 defensive injuries at the same time on more than one occasion, so if we have that this season and then someone gets carded, we could be in trouble. But its all ifs and buts - Hopefully we will get to Jan and then have another look after seeking out new targets.

Sort of glad we held something back in a way for Jan.

Tricky. 

Can''t deny that CB is a concern because we look much more vulnerable whenever Basso is unavailable, but in the end our cover isn''t too bad with RB, RM and in extremis Ayala to cover the starting two (I agree with the concern about him playing in the Prem especially as he''s had so little game time recently).  Not worth bringing in someone unless they would be an improvement.

At right wing it made sense to me to try to get in Vaz Te as cover for EB.  I wouldn''t want to be in the position we were at Hull where we played someone like Howson out of position on the right wing.  Can Redmond play on the right ?  I''d prefer to give one of the Murphy''s a shot if necessary rather than play a CM there.

AM definitely a position we need to be looking for but again no point unless we can improve on what we have.

So overall very happy with our dealings in the window, so much more organized that quite a few teams like Man U who were scrambling for moves yesterday. 

We have a good balanced squad. I for one am happy. Just means there''s no excuses really for not performing!

We still have a bit of money left for if/when it goes titz up in January!

Lets face it, this is the best squad we may have ever had.Being greedy, I would have liked another centre back and someone in as right wing cover.The reality is though, that we really have nothing to moan about.

It is the best squad though isn''t it.

Alright we''ve had better players you can argue.

But to have to decide between Martin and Whittaker at right back?

To decide between Pilkington and Redmond on the left wing?

To decide between RVW and Hooper? (lets assume for the mo he doesn''t see one playing deeper)

I mean.... damn, these are choices.

[quote user="Downloads"]

What a nice happy thread this is    lol

Discussing pros and cons without any arguing.... get us.

[/quote]Give it time[;)]

[quote user="Downloads"]

To decide between RVW and Hooper? (lets assume for the mo he doesn''t see one playing deeper)

[/quote]It is a great squad, no doubt of that. Without wanting to get gloomy though, throw in 2 or 3 injuries, lets say Bassong, Fer and Redmond, and it would suddenly look very ordinary again!Then people will be bemoaning the fact we never panic bought anyone yesterday!

Totally agree.

If I could throw the garden shed at something in Jan, it would be a new CB and a new CM. (CB being most important and CM maybe being more attack orientated)

That way we could keep a spine if Bassong or Fer got injured.

[quote user="Downloads"]

Totally agree.

If I could throw the garden shed at something in Jan, it would be a new CB and a new CM. (CB being most important and CM maybe being more attack orientated)

That way we could keep a spine if Bassong or Fer got injured.

[/quote]Really though, we have to be realistic. We''re Norwich, not Man Utd, we can''t afford to have squad players who are on a fortune, so theres always going to be a trade off, a hope that we get a wee bit of luck and players stay fit.And hopefully our sensible wage structure and spending will pay off if this financial fair play milarkey is actually enforced.I shudder to think what could have happened if it was Neil Doncaster spending our money right now.

What''s a bit scary is how you can see where we might replace players in coming transfer windows and where we''re aiming to be.  I can see us looking long-term to upgrade Garrido, Turner, Martin/Whittaker, Howson, Hoolahan...all good players and important to us now, but can you can just see where we''ll go if we keep doing well. Exciting and crazy at the same time! Just hope we keep doing well and staying comfortably in the best league in the world for the coming seasons and you can see where we''ll be headed..If we can keep hold of players like Fer, Ruddy, Redmond, Bassong, RvW, Hooper etc we''ll be looking to move to another level. I''d say (even at this very, very early stage) that Fer will be worth £15-25m if he puts in big performances through the season, Ruddy is already worth at least £10-15m and could be much more as we go on through the season and if he gets chances with England, Redmond could be anything up to £15-25m if he keeps exciting us, Bassong surely worth £10m+ to us and a HUGE player in our team, RvW will be worth double his buying price if he scores 10+ goals and Hooper the same if not more being English!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Downloads"]

[/quote]It is a great squad, no doubt of that. Without wanting to get gloomy though, throw in 2 or 3 injuries, lets say Bassong, Fer and Redmond, and it would suddenly look very ordinary again!Then people will be bemoaning the fact we never panic bought anyone yesterday![/quote]

I''m sure you''re right about the moaning but even without those three, the squad is still much stronger than the one which stayed up last season.

Can Redmond play on the right did you not see Everton NR and EB constantly switched wings.

[quote user="pete"]Can Redmond play on the right did you not see Everton NR and EB constantly switched wings.[/quote]

I watched that game on a stream and with the poor quality of picture it was hard to judge how well Redmond did when he switched to the right.  E.g. I''ve seen Snoddy play on the left several times and have always felt he is much less effective there.  What did you think about Redmond on the right in that game ?

Well we no longer have 24 players towards the total.

I may have missed something but Ayala looks to have gone on loan to Middlesborough for the season (according to Wiki) as well as Butterfield having been sold. Surman and Rudd are also out on loan for the season.

That leaves:

GK: Ruddy, Bunn, Nash. (3)

DF: Whittaker, Martin, Turner, Bassong, R.Bennett, Olsson and Garrido. (7)

MF: Howson, Johnson, Fer, Fox, Tettey (5).

Wing: Snodgrass, E.Bennett (injured), Redmond, Pilkignton (4).

Attacking players for the front two slots: RVW, Elmander, Hooper, Becchio and Hoolahan. (5)

So that is 24 in total but actually 23 due to Redmonds age. When are we able to sign loans? I can see Naughton coming in on loan if we need cover out wide and at full back - he could play either much like Olsson.

Redmond I think is just one of those wingers that will work either side as he is more towards two-footed than just right-footed. Second half against Southampton he was getting to the by-line more and putting in some nice crosses, likewise we all know what happened when he cut in.

If his ability to take people on down the wing wasn''t so very useful as an outlet, I''d put him in the Wes role. Maybe once he''s matured a bit.

[quote user="chicken"]Well we no longer have 24 players towards the total. I may have missed something but Ayala looks to have gone on loan to Middlesborough for the season (according to Wiki) as well as Butterfield having been sold. Surman and Rudd are also out on loan for the season. That leaves: GK: Ruddy, Bunn, Nash. (3) DF: Whittaker, Martin, Turner, Bassong, R.Bennett, Olsson and Garrido. (7) MF: Howson, Johnson, Fer, Fox, Tettey (5). Wing: Snodgrass, E.Bennett (injured), Redmond, Pilkignton (4). Attacking players for the front two slots: RVW, Elmander, Hooper, Becchio and Hoolahan. (5) So that is 24 in total but actually 23 due to Redmonds age. When are we able to sign loans? I can see Naughton coming in on loan if we need cover out wide and at full back - he could play either much like Olsson.[/quote]

Ayala is still at Norwich and the club can''t make loans until 1st January.

The squad is strong enough in every area apart from possibly right wing. Although 3 top quality players in Pilkington, Snodgrass and Redmond for 2 spots is very good competition. I doubt many will get loaned out once the loan window reopens for Football League clubs in a weeks time, although Ayala is a possibility.