Sign in to follow this  
Willmeister

Shane Long

I agree.  Shane is an excellent striker.  He''s quick and skilful and can play as a solo striker, if need be.  RVW, Hooper, Long.  Sell Becchio.  Buy a #10 and a central defender.  Job done.  Get to work ..... under 4 hours to go...

Michael Bailey on Twitter for it spot onSome fans want ncfc to scupper Hull''s move for Shane Long; think that''s what you do if you haven''t signed Hooper, Elmander & RVW 1st

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]We have Hooper RVW and Elmander.... and Becchio why would we buy Shane Long to sit behind them on the bench[/quote]
He wouldn''t sit on the bench. He''d be my first choice! He scores goals, works hard as well as being a poacher, and knows the Prem!! I think RVW needs to be pushed more. There isn''t anyone fighting him for his place currently!

I think Long is a cracking little player and I would love to see him here, always worried about him when he was playing against us!

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Michael Bailey on Twitter for it spot onSome fans want ncfc to scupper Hull''s move for Shane Long; think that''s what you do if you haven''t signed Hooper, Elmander & RVW 1st[/quote]
Except hes more of an out an out striker than Elmander not SS, and has Prem experience over Hooper who still isn''t fit and RVW who needs someone to push him. We''d have had him as first choice is we''d have known he was available surely?

RVW needs to be pushed more? Did you actually watch the game on Saturday? The bloke gave everything he had and collapsed in exhaustion at the final whistle.

[quote user="nycanary"]I agree.  Shane is an excellent striker.  He''s quick and skilful and can play as a solo striker, if need be.  RVW, Hooper, Long.  Sell Becchio.  Buy a #10 and a central defender.  Job done.  Get to work ..... under 4 hours to go...[/quote]
[:D]

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]RVW needs to be pushed more? Did you actually watch the game on Saturday? The bloke gave everything he had and collapsed in exhaustion at the final whistle.[/quote]
Yes. I did watch the game. Next we need 2 good players for every position, he arguably doesn''t have anyone currently at his heels and could get complacent. I currently rate Long ahead of RVW simply because he is up to speed on the League and may give a different dimension to the team. We aren''t really set up properly for RVW yet, and without a decent CAM what kind of service and from whom do you expect said service to come from? 
Long and Hooper may prove to both be more prolific as the season runs on....

He doesn''t have anyone at his heels because Hooper is injured, and I don''t think you''ll find complacent is in

his vocabulary. The lad comes across as hugely ambitious and motivated.

The service will come from Hooper, Elmander, Howson, Hoolahan, Fer, Pilkington, Redmond, Snodgrass and Bennett when he''s fit. We''ve got an excellent attacking unit as it is already and I''m confident the ammunition is there for him to score plenty.

If you want to rate Long ahead of RVW because he "may give the team a different dimension" then that''s your business, I''d imagine you''re pretty much on your own though.

SeattleCanary are you an American who supports City?

I''m kind of hoping you are as it would give you an excuse for being so far wide of the mark all the time.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]He doesn''t have anyone at his heels because Hooper is injured, and I don''t think you''ll find complacent is in

his vocabulary. The lad comes across as hugely ambitious and motivated.

The service will come from Hooper, Elmander, Howson, Hoolahan, Fer, Pilkington, Redmond, Snodgrass and Bennett when he''s fit. We''ve got an excellent attacking unit as it is already and I''m confident the ammunition is there for him to score plenty.

If you want to rate Long ahead of RVW because he "may give the team a different dimension" then that''s your business, I''d imagine you''re pretty much on your own though.[/quote]
Why are some people on this forum site incapable of quoting properly? I said I''d rate him ahead of RVW firstly because hes up to speed on the league. He knows it better than RVW and thats fact, then said he may offer a different dimension. He might!! How do you know he won''t? I don''t know he won''t, I said "might"! Honestly some people are so annoying on here.
I personally felt Long "could" offer more going forward as a team player, than RVW who seems to be sticking out a bit at present. And finally 2 players for every position.... theres RVW, Hooper, Elmander and Becchio. Becchio will likely leave sooner or later, and Elmander could fatigue during the season due to age or a possible injury to someone, a la Bennett and then we are left with the bare bones again. Why wouldn''t you want Long for the 5Mill quoted, hes a bargain!!

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]SeattleCanary are you an American who supports City?

I''m kind of hoping you are as it would give you an excuse for being so far wide of the mark all the time.[/quote]
English. Supported City my whole life. How am I far wide of the mark? Explain.

We play 4 - 4- 1- 1 and that does not look like changing anytime soon;

CF - RvW, Hooper, Becchio, (Elmander)

SS/AM - Hoolahan, Howson, (Elmander)

More than 2 for each of the front positions. Long would be vying with those six and at £5m it would be a monumental waste of money with other positions lacking.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]We play 4 - 4- 1- 1 and that does not look like changing anytime soon;

CF - RvW, Hooper, Becchio, (Elmander)

SS/AM - Hoolahan, Howson, (Elmander)

More than 2 for each of the front positions. Long would be vying with those six and at £5m it would be a monumental waste of money with other positions lacking.[/quote]
Ok.... Saturday we played a formation resembling 4-4-2 going forwards, that saw us change when defending the ball. I said Becchio will likely leave, and Elmander may fatigue and we could get an unexpected injury. Plus Elmander isn''t a long term acquisition, he''s a loan. So come at me again....
At least I have an opinion, and back up why. Better than some on here. Opinion isn''t fact, therefore you cannot truly be wrong.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]SeattleCanary are you an American who supports City?

I''m kind of hoping you are as it would give you an excuse for being so far wide of the mark all the time.[/quote]

Really? That''s a bit low and disrespectful.

Re: Hooper back. I always found this site, going back to our last stint in the Premiership, handy for injury news:

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

Sticking out at present? At what? Working his arse off? Being very good in the air and with the ball at his feet? Having movement more intelligent than any other City player in recent memory. 1 in 3 is hardly a poor return is it (Long scored 9 PL goals last year), and it would have been more if Whittaker and Redmond had picked him out on Saturday. I really can''t see how Long having played at this level before is a basis to rate him higher than Ricky, but that''s your opinion and you''re entitled to it.

I wouldn''t sign Long, not because I think he''s crap, but because we don''t need him. We''ve got 4 strikers as you''ve already mentioned and I''d say 2 of them are better than Long, most teams including us play one upfront so for me he wouldn''t get a sniff unless we have an injury crisis. We''re not at the level where we can pay £5m for a backup player and I''m pretty sure he wouldn''t want to come here to compete for 1 spot with RVW, Hooper, Elmander and Becchio.

Also, your comment that Elmander might fatigue, he''s only 31!

Long might break his leg...

[quote user="PortlandCanary"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]SeattleCanary are you an American who supports City?

Really? That''s a bit low and disrespectful.[/quote]
Some people on this board Portland seem to just post to either pedantically and unnecessarily correct others on minuscule things, pass of others opinions as if opinions are suddenly fact, and not just a persons viewpoint and are just f*cking rude most of the time. They pi$$ me off!
Like living abroad, or not having a season ticket, or any of these excuses makes a fan less of a fan. I don''t rate Vaz Te, others do. I rate Long always have, I think he''d slot straight into our team, and currently with only Becchio as our bench striker I think we could use Long, especially if Hooper gets another knock or RVW does. It''s an opinion. Some people on here are dumb and annoying and I shall be treating them so from now on if they warrant it. Why cause conflict? Ask a fellow poster a question, don''t insult them by making them out to be wrong or stupid. If thats your attitude toward them kindly keep it to yourself, and don''t be prejudice against where people are from etc.
Small minded people arrrghhh rant over :)

[quote user="Thorny"]Re: Hooper back. I always found this site, going back to our last stint in the Premiership, handy for injury news:

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php[/quote]Good site, nice one[Y]

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Sticking out at present? At what? Working his arse off? Being very good in the air and with the ball at his feet? Having movement more intelligent than any other City player in recent memory. 1 in 3 is hardly a poor return is it (Long scored 9 PL goals last year), and it would have been more if Whittaker and Redmond had picked him out on Saturday. I really can''t see how Long having played at this level before is a basis to rate him higher than Ricky, but that''s your opinion and you''re entitled to it.

I wouldn''t sign Long, not because I think he''s crap, but because we don''t need him. We''ve got 4 strikers as you''ve already mentioned and I''d say 2 of them are better than Long, most teams including us play one upfront so for me he wouldn''t get a sniff unless we have an injury crisis. We''re not at the level where we can pay £5m for a backup player and I''m pretty sure he wouldn''t want to come here to compete for 1 spot with RVW, Hooper, Elmander and Becchio.

Also, your comment that Elmander might fatigue, he''s only 31!

Long might break his leg...[/quote]
Most prem teams have 4 good strikers. We have 3 good ones with Becchio seemingly about to move on this season at some point. WBA had Lukaku, Long, Odemwingie, Antoine-Fortune and they did pretty well.
We are talking about strength in depth now. Its a squad game.

"Some people on here are dumb and annoying and I shall be treating them so from now on if they warrant it. Why cause conflict? Ask a fellow poster a question, don''t insult them by making them out to be wrong or stupid."

LOL!