Sign in to follow this  
Viva Marc Libbra

No new signings

Think there''s a time to say "we''ve done well" and give confidence to those who are here. No point in "upgrading" 4th strikers or 4th winger cover. Risks outweigh the benefits. Wait til you can improve team (ie not squad)

[quote user="WEEN_NASTY"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="WEEN_NASTY"]If that''s the case why not tweet it this morning so I wouldn''t have to listen all day long.[/quote]

Don''t think you have quite understood McNally''s mentality!

[/quote]

Maybe not, so please feel free to enlighten me.

If we weren''t after anyone, why not say so in the morning. If we were, why not say we didnt get them instead of we got ours in the summer, ner ner ne ner ner.

I think McN is great but let''s not try and be Simon Cowelll[/quote]

McNally''s comment -   "No incoming players for #ncfc tonight, all of the work completed earlier in the Summer." - is  ambiguous. It doesn''t actually say we got all the players we wanted earlier on. Only that the players we got we got earlier on. And Hughton was on record a very few days ago as saying we were looking for an Elliott Bennett replacement. And the timing of the tweet suggests until that point there had been a chance of a deal.As to McNally''s mentality, he does have a particular sense of humour and even if he had known before today we weren''t still in the market he would, I think, have enjoyed the sight of the various message-boards get worked up for hours on end with speculation.

I reckon we had a go at getting a winger in (Vaz Te) is a winger, not a striker) but none of the deals added up for us. I can''t think of any deadline day deals i''d have liked us to gatecrash that we colud have. Perhaps only Kightly to Burnley. He''d have been a useful outlet.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Risky in my opinion. Squad numbers are down on last year, even Hughton has admitted that. We are very thin in terms of cover. A few injuries and we''ll be in trouble. I''m glad we didn''t needlessly buy anyone, but where was te sence in letting butterfield go with no squad replacement?[/quote]

how do you know that replacement isn''t already at the club in the under 21''s?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="lincoln canary"]Risky in my opinion. Squad numbers are down on last year, even Hughton has admitted that. We are very thin in terms of cover. A few injuries and we''ll be in trouble. I''m glad we didn''t needlessly buy anyone, but where was te sence in letting butterfield go with no squad replacement?[/quote]

how do you know that replacement isn''t already at the club in the under 21''s?[/quote]

Well obviously I don''t. But it was only a couple of weeks ago Hughton stated that he was down on numbers from last season. So presumably Hughton doesn''t see a replacement there either.

As to McNally''s mentality, he does have a particular sense of humour and even if he had known before today we weren''t still in the market he would, I think, have enjoyed the sight of the various message-boards get worked up for hours on end with speculation.

He may have had a little look at the message boards Purple, and had a little laugh, which is hopefully what everyone does. If anyone takes all this seriously then I would fear for their sanity!

As others have said, we were in the enviable position of not really NEEDING anyone. That is not to say that we would not have liked to add a little here and there, but it simply wasn''t worth busting open the Canary Bank to do so. A lot of the other mid table clubs would envy our pragmatism and drama free dealings. Just one more reason to love our little club.

Part of me thinks this summer was harder to sign players due to a number of factors - one being the world cup next year.

You have to be able to convince a player that they will be starting regularly and in a good enough team to be recognised by their international team this season to give them a shot / cement their place in their international squad.

You look around and there are actually very few teams that have signed a large number of quality players. Some have argued Spurs have done this but in reality some are signings with good potential rather than sure bets. Chelsea have also done it - but looking at Willian, he is 25 and has played most of his career at Shaktar Donetsk in not one of the better leagues in the world.

Arsenal and Man Utd only really managed one notable signing each in Ozil and Fellani.

It''s been a pretty slow/poor summer for most teams and as others have said elsewhere when you look at the players comparable teams have signed and lost then I think we are in a good position.

I see Nick Powell has gone from Man Utd to Wigan on loan. Holt & Powell could be a powerful pairing in the Championship!

Many would have welcomed that young lad here as Toivonen didn''t arrive?...