Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

COMPARING SQUADS

I would be interested to hear the views of posters who actually  get to watch football on how the undoubted improvements to our squad stack up in relation to the transfer dealings of our mid- and lower-table rivals.We have not lost anyone we wanted to keep, and significantly strengthened some areas. A superficial view would be that the same can be said for: Aston Villa, Fulham, Southampton, Swansea and WBA. That Kinnear''s Newcastle have hardly strengthened but - as important - have not lost any of their stars. Roughly the same situation at Stoke and West Ham.That it is impossible to assess what has happened at Sunderland, except to say that Mignolet and Sessegnon are significant losses.That of the promoted clubs, starting from a much lower base of talent, the strengthening seems to have been in direct proportion to their finishing positions last season, with Cardiff have done, best then Hull, then Palace.

Crystal Palace One to WatchDwight Gayle: seems to have been a decent enough signing. The figure they payed for him has been noted as anywhere between 3 - 8.5 million pounds. He has already scored 1 Premier League goal ( a penalty ) but looked very sharp in the Spurs game I watched him in. He just needs better service.Other notable signingsCameron Jerome (Stoke)Barry Bannan (Villa)Adrian Mariappa (Reading)Jerome Thomas (West Brom)Jason Puncheon (Southampton)Marouane Chamakh (Arsenal)Jimmy Kebe (Reading)Have also been acquired and should give Palace some Premier League experience.My biggest problem with Palace''s signings however are they are a completely mixed bag. Chamakh is notorious for being somewhat of a flop, while nearly every other player they have brought in has simply fallen out of favour with their previous clubs.Cameron Jerome should do a decent job, while Jimmy Kebe always seemed a bit hit and miss to me.When you look at their team it, in my opinion, lacks quality. Whereas Cardiff and Hull have made some impressive signings, some of the players in the Palace team definately scream "Panic Buy" or "Bargain Bucket" to me.It''s also worth noting a couple of their news boys are only in on loan.They are my favourites to go down and I wouldn''t be worried about their squad, even if they have brought in some Prem experience.

More importantly, another season without any players being poached. Ruddy offers from Chelsea not taken. ''Talks'' of others. Only one big move and by request with Holt. We''ve strengthened a lot, more than most.

Sunderland & Newcastle struggled last season and without bolstering can see them in the same muddy waters. WBA over achieved last season and not really made ground. Fulham I hope we can get more than a point off this season comparing sides. Stoke? Think they''ll do better than last year myself.

Hull, Cardiff and Palace destined to struggle, despite some results already.

CardiffOnes To WatchFraizer Campbell (brought in earlier but definately worth a mention)Steven Caulker (Spurs)Other Notable Signings Peter Odemwingie (West Brom) (Anything Could Happen)Anyone who watched the entire 90mins of the Cardiff vs Man City games should have realised 1) Man City were dreadful. 2) Cardiff were actually pretty decent.Firstly.... Cardiff have one of the best Corner routines I have ever seen. The delivery they produce from corners is simply amazing. They place a couple of players on the Goalkeeper to keep him penned in and whip the ball in so close to the line that I''m pretty sure we will see a direct corner goal this season.Fraizer Campbell was simply brilliant and I can see him getting a bag load this season. Caulker looked solid as a rock and I would have been quite happy to see him in Yellow and Green.Cardiff, although pushed back the entire game, countered extremely well and their ability to make every Set Piece count is something that I hope Snodgrass and the boys were watchingDidn''t manage to catch all the Everton game but I heard they had it quite tough. However they played well when they needed to and came away with a point.Think they will do really well this season and will certainly give us  a decent game if they continue their current form.

As viewed by the Daily Mail - interesting http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2409666/Premier-League-summer-transfer-verdict-2013.html

[quote user="Making Plans"]As viewed by the Daily Mail - interesting http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2409666/Premier-League-summer-transfer-verdict-2013.html[/quote]Yeah, that is a good read[Y]

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Nearly all our first team (and several youngsters) are away playing for their respective countries. I think we are doing something right.[/quote]You''re right, and I would love to compile a list.But I can''t be arsed lol.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Making Plans"]As viewed by the Daily Mail - interesting http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2409666/Premier-League-summer-transfer-verdict-2013.html[/quote]Yeah, that is a good read[Y][/quote]

Apart fron not understanding that we primarily wanted Vaz  Te as cover for Elliott Bennett rather than our strikers. And as such made sense.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Making Plans"]As viewed by the Daily Mail - interesting http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2409666/Premier-League-summer-transfer-verdict-2013.html[/quote]Yeah, that is a good read[Y][/quote]

Apart fron not understanding that we primarily wanted Vaz  Te as cover for Elliott Bennett rather than our strikers. And as such made sense.

[/quote]Yeah, that was a bit lazy. Understandable though, we probably know more about our squad than a neutral journo.