Sign in to follow this  
Oz Canary

Jed Steer

Apologies if this has been discussed previously but the Daily Mail football trades section is quoting that Aston Villa acquired young Jed on a free.

Is this right?? Last time I read something about his transfer to Villa it was suggested that it was being mediated as he was an English youngster that his club (us) needed to be compensated for??

Can anybody shed some light on this for me. Surely, we should have been do something.

it''s reported as a free as he was a free agent. the same thing as butterfield last year. he is young and we offered him a new contract but he rejected it in favour of villa. therefore it will go to tribunal over how much villa will have to pay us. mcnally expects it to be a substantial amount.

I don''t think we will get a lot of money for Jed at tribunal. He has got significant potential but unfortunately that is all it is for the moment - potential. That is reflected in the fee you get a tribunal. It may seem laughable now given how far he has fallen, but John Bostock was regarded as a supreme talent at 16 who had already broken into the Crystal Palace team. Crystal Palace ended up receiving around £700,000 for him plus some add ons. Obviously Jed is older and more experienced than this so should command more in transfer fees, but not a significant amount I would imagine. I reckon a fee in the region of around £1 million or so will be about right for him. 

I really hope it works out for Jed. He seems a decent lad and he is getting to the stage of his career where he needs to be progressing. I think he would have been better off possibly dropping down a level and signing for a club permanently who would give him first team football. However I can see why he left Norwich for Villa. He was uncertain of where he was in the pecking order compared to Rudd and Bunn while Lambert was offering him the chance to be guaranteed second choice at Villa. Lambert also clearly rates and trusts him. That counts for an awful lot and understandably so.  

Substantial is McNally speak. I think he is sabre rattling should Villa have been looking to do a deal ahead of the tribunal.

Substantial will be context related. How much is a potentially good first team keeper with 2 first team games experience worth, and how much should we be compensated for our investment in him. Hopefully that will add up to a 7 figure sum.

[quote user="Cambridge Yellow"]

I don''t think we will get a lot of money for Jed at tribunal. He has got significant potential but unfortunately that is all it is for the moment - potential. That is reflected in the fee you get a tribunal. It may seem laughable now given how far he has fallen, but John Bostock was regarded as a supreme talent at 16 who had already broken into the Crystal Palace team. Crystal Palace ended up receiving around £700,000 for him plus some add ons. Obviously Jed is older and more experienced than this so should command more in transfer fees, but not a significant amount I would imagine. I reckon a fee in the region of around £1 million or so will be about right for him. 

I really hope it works out for Jed. He seems a decent lad and he is getting to the stage of his career where he needs to be progressing. I think he would have been better off possibly dropping down a level and signing for a club permanently who would give him first team football. However I can see why he left Norwich for Villa. He was uncertain of where he was in the pecking order compared to Rudd and Bunn while Lambert was offering him the chance to be guaranteed second choice at Villa. Lambert also clearly rates and trusts him. That counts for an awful lot and understandably so.

''not a significant amount''  Only a million then! Makes me laugh the attitude of contributors on here. From a Club that was as poor as a church mouse only a couple of years ago. How soon we have become ''big time Harry''s''!! It''s this type of attitude that continues to drive prices up to their current farcical level with greedy Clubs and greedy players ruining the game that we love. Oh for the days when this was a working man''s sport that we could enjoy with our families without having to remortgage the house.

[/quote]

''not a significant amount''  Only a million then! Makes me

laugh the attitude of contributors on here. From a Club that was as poor

as a church mouse only a couple of years ago. How soon we have become

''big time Harry''s''!! It''s this type of attitude that continues to drive

prices up to their current farcical level with greedy Clubs and greedy

players ruining the game that we love. Oh for the days when this was a

working man''s sport that we could enjoy with our families without having

to remortgage the house.

[quote user="Derby Canary"]''not a significant amount''  Only a million then! Makes me

laugh the attitude of contributors on here. From a Club that was as poor

as a church mouse only a couple of years ago. How soon we have become

''big time Harry''s''!! It''s this type of attitude that continues to drive

prices up to their current farcical level with greedy Clubs and greedy

players ruining the game that we love. Oh for the days when this was a

working man''s sport that we could enjoy with our families without having

to remortgage the house.[/quote]Strapping young men playing in the park, jumpers for goalposts[Y]

I''d expect a million for the guy. I''d rather have kept him. Don''t see what he''s gonna gain from being under Guzan and Given rather than Ruddy and Bunn. We have a better GK coach as well. Ah well, his loss.

You''d think in this sort of situation that a players valuation would be based on current role in the club, but rather than trying to guesstimate a future usefulness fee, that it would be done on add-ons. Aston Villa have essentially robbed us of a player with a minimal current role in the side, so fee shoul dcover that (perhaps 250k). But surely Villa should be tied into a career long add-ons list, based on number of appearences, international appearences, sell-on fees etc.

If Jed Steer disappears off the football map we''d get squat, and noone would care because he would then prove to have not been as good as we thought he might be. Its if he goes on to establish himself as a regular Premier League performer, or gets capped that we''d really be baying for money. With an add-ons clause, the compensation would be fair based on the eating of the pudding, rather than trying toguess what he''s going to do in his career.  Noones going to adjudicate us 5million for instance based on the guess he might one day play for England. But retrospectively, if he does go on to play for England, thats the kind of figure we''d want.

I liked Steer and he has a lot of potential, but not at Norwich. For as long as we are in the EPL, the club will not play someone like him and will always go for experience, even at number 3, which is ridiculous! There was no reason for the club to get in a third keeper the replace Camp.

I don''t blame Steer for moving the Villa and Lambert clearly rates and trusts him. He had no future and Norwich whatsoever once Lambert had gone (though Rudd hasn''t either), so I hope one day he gets the chance to prove how good I believe he is.

[quote user="Nicko"]I''d expect a million for the guy. I''d rather have kept him. Don''t see what he''s gonna gain from being under Guzan and Given rather than Ruddy and Bunn. We have a better GK coach as well. Ah well, his loss.[/quote]

Given isn''t even in our 25 man squad. Steer is our number two now

Without wanting to be all "Big time Charlie" stuff like this really doesn''t matter as much as it used to. If we get 500-750k to cover what it cost to get him to where he is today, that''ll do.

I do agree with you D.C. These guys are so greedy for themslves and their clubs. Reminds me of what I have read about slave traders. I remember the days of £12 a week maximum wage players and tens of thousands of true fans standing in the pouring rain to watch the match. Players with pronouncable names and a desire to be a local hero, Transfer fees would be illegal contracts in restraint of trade in any other employment and should be illegal in football. We need a new Wilberforce to lead us to freedom.

Two factors:

(1) City''s investment.

(2) Jed Steer''s current value based upon now and the future..

We have spent time and money on this player since he was nine years old.

He must have benefitted and also shows further promise otherwise Villa wouldn''t have wanted him.

That adds up to a million for me. That''s not ''big time,'' that''s fair IMO.