Sign in to follow this  
peateabee

England U19s

Harry Toffolo and Josh Murphy starting against Estonia in a 6-1 win last night. Carlton Morris came off the bench to make his debut and scored within 20 minutes. Good to see our youngsters keep on developing, lets hope they can keep their progress going.

It''s going well for the youth at the moment. Not sure if any will get games for the first team, cup games etc. but they are going in the right direction.

How much credit does Hughton deserve for the current progress. Does he have much day to day involvement?

[quote user="Herman "]It''s going well for the youth at the moment. Not sure if any will get games for the first team, cup games etc. but they are going in the right direction.

How much credit does Hughton deserve for the current progress. Does he have much day to day involvement?[/quote]Being realistic, looking at the rate of attrition in these things, chances are if you take the FA cup youth team, we''ll be extremely lucky if 3 or 4 players end up as first team regulars, based purely on past experience.But the fact we won it shows the calibre of the coaching staff at that level, people like Neil Adams have proved key in getting our academy back on its feet, and doesn''t Hux coach the younger ones too?As with everything else about our club, we really are doing things the right way.

I wonder what the attrition rate really is in youth football. 1 in a 100, 1 in a 1000?

The future is bright for us. Hopefully people can see this and start to appreciate it. And Adams has been a bit of a revelation. How long before he steps up a level?

[quote user="Herman "]I wonder what the attrition rate really is in youth football. 1 in a 100, 1 in a 1000?

The future is bright for us. Hopefully people can see this and start to appreciate it. And Adams has been a bit of a revelation. How long before he steps up a level?[/quote]Looking at how many youth products that have come through our academy and ended up as first team regulars, our success rate hasn''t been good in recent years, obviously this is improving, but the proof of the pudding will still be in the eating.As a complete guess (So don''t hang me) out of the 11 that won the FA Youth cup (This is based on numbers, and not the actual ability of individuals) I would guess that we could likely end up with 2 or 3 players that go on to make it in the prem, another 3 or 4 that will settle at Championship level, and the rest will either not make it at all, or end up in lower leagues.

"As a complete guess (So don''t hang me) out of the 11 that won the FA Youth cup (This is based on numbers, and not the actual ability of individuals) I would guess that we could likely end up with 2 or 3 players that go on to make it in the prem, another 3 or 4 that will settle at Championship level, and the rest will either not make it at all, or end up in lower leagues."

It is a guessing game Morty, but if 2 or 3 of those guys do go on to make it in the prem. that will be an amazing achievement. My personal guess would be lower than your but I hope your right.

The Accademy seems to be coming on leaps and bounds at the moment, the new status is fantastic for the club and I really look forward to the day when some home produced talent is running out onto CR and featuring regularly in the first team.

Massive credit needs to go to all involved, great vision from the club!

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]"As a complete guess (So don''t hang me) out of the 11 that won the FA Youth cup (This is based on numbers, and not the actual ability of individuals) I would guess that we could likely end up with 2 or 3 players that go on to make it in the prem, another 3 or 4 that will settle at Championship level, and the rest will either not make it at all, or end up in lower leagues."

It is a guessing game Morty, but if 2 or 3 of those guys do go on to make it in the prem. that will be an amazing achievement. My personal guess would be lower than your but I hope your right.

The Accademy seems to be coming on leaps and bounds at the moment, the new status is fantastic for the club and I really look forward to the day when some home produced talent is running out onto CR and featuring regularly in the first team.

Massive credit needs to go to all involved, great vision from the club![/quote]Yeah you''re right, 2 or 3 is optimistic.And yeah, the new status seems very much like we have been a few years ahead of other clubs, I am watching Sky sports news, and the various experts batting on about how we have to bring young, British talent through and I''m thinking "Yup, we''re already doing that"

Genuinely excited about Carlton Morris! With all this talk recently about the future of the England team and how premiership teams don''t bring through their own academy I''m quite encouraged by the potential of our own.

This is very topical following Greg Dyke''s speech. Unless these guys get a chance to prove themselves on the pitch in the Prem then the promise could easily go unfulfilled, which means drifting down the leagues and having to work their way back. But, with the pressure on results, survival etc will CH really give many of them much pitch time? Frankly if James Vaughan (now left but successful) and David Fox (seemingly languishing in NCFC no man''s land) who both had and have more experience couldn''t get a game, what chance a raw youngster?

I really hope that they get some chances, the sort of run that Korey Smith got back in the Championship. We all know the stakes are higher now, but the longer term benefits of a good pipeline of home grown talent and the spur it gives to those following in their footsteps can only be a positive thing. I fear that CH is too cautious to risk them, but he should note the success of Southampton who against us had a couple of good younger prospects on show but still gave us a jolly good game.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Without making any comment a look through the players from previous YCFs is an interesting and enlightening exercise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_Youth_Cup_Finals

[/quote]Very interesting reading. Look, for example, at Liverpool''s squad for the final of 2006-7:

1 Denmark GK Martin Hansen
2 England DF Stephen Darby
3 England DF Michael Burns
4 England DF Jay Spearing (c)
5 England DF Robbie Threlfall
6 England MF Charlie Barnett
7 Republic of Ireland MF Jimmy Ryan
8 Scotland MF Ryan Flynn
9 England FW Craig Lindfield
10 England FW Lee Woodward Substituted off 67''
11 England MF Raymond Putterill
12 England FW Steve Irwin
13 England GK David Roberts
14 England MF Sean Highdale
15 England MF Ben Parsonage
16 England FW Nathan Eccleston Substituted in 67''
Of those, only Jay Spearing is playing regularly in the top two divisions, let alone the Premiership. Several are playing in non-league, and a few more don''t even have Wikipedia pages.It''s interesting to consider whether playing for a ''top six'' academy is more or less of an advantage – obviously the facilities will be first-class, but with the amount of money available for transfer budgets, maybe the big clubs are less likely to bring that talent through? One has to wonder whether the £25m+ that we''ve shelled out on new players might inhibit the progress of our youngsters. Obviously it''s great that we can attract the quality of players that we''ve bought this summer, but on the flipside, it''d be a real shame for all that talent to drift away into the lower leagues. I think we should definitely give one or two of these lads a run-out in the cup games – Gafaiti, McGeehan, Toffolo, Loza, the Murphy twins, Morris – obviously you can''t draft in five or six of them, but giving them a bit of exposure from the bench could really help them to progress. Give them just one taste of first-team football, and hopefully it''ll inspire them to bigger and better things.

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 06/09/2013 11:42 AM:

Without making any comment a look through the players from previous YCFs is an interesting and enlightening exercise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_Youth_Cup_Finals

Interesting link Nigel, there is a long way to go from YCF to EPL.