Sign in to follow this  
Overrated, Overpaid and Over Here!

Prudence still appears to be top of the agenda! We should have splashed more cash!

Really pleased with the majority of the signings this summer and the squad has definitely improved.

However,, I still feel we may have been somewhat cautious this summer given the millions were generating in the EPL and the fact our club debt has almost disappeared. Despite the great signings of RVW, Fer, Redmond and Hooper along with Olson I, like most others sense we cold have really have done with:

A seasoned centre half, a creative midfielder and probably another striker,

OK, Hooper and RVW were great signings with bags of potential and hunger but Becchio is clearly out of favour and with Jackson, Martin, Vaughan, Holt gone we''ve effectively one from 5 strikers to three plus the young youth lad Murphy, Thoughts?

We brought plenty in, 7, but we''ve also let plenty go. Also, why on earth keep a Fox, surely he has no chance of playing and he would have commanded a decent fee from a championship side, good player.

Outside of midfield which we haveplenty of options, Do we have enough depth? And quality in the squad?

While agree that a centre back would have been nice... Prudence top of the agenda... Give it a rest, if we re orga ise the order of the signings we would have smashed out record transfer fee 3 times this transfer window alone with hooper, Fer and RVW.

I missed Elmqnder oooops! I take your point re smashing he transfer record bu so have about 9 premier league clubs. The money this season is racy, crazy and relative to income we haven''t actually spend more this season. Just felt we could have pushed for more depth. Loose A Fer or a Ruddy or a Basong and and the team has a completely different feel. Just reading what other clubs signed and I think we''ve remained careful despite the cash available. Remember, we only just survived last season.

Wasn''t too difficult to smash our transfer record (for this day and age). Even considering when sold a certain striker in the 90s for £5 million and never seen a penny spent since this summer.

I do agree more should have been spent on bringing in a CB and another striker. They never spent nothing last season so why not?

I disagree, I think next summer will be bigger for us. Sure the money goes up this season but it''s not like you get paid it all at once. So sure we''ll get a minimum of £60 million for the next season but we haven''t just been handed a £60m cheque. 
I know it''s common for transfer fess to be paid over the course of a few years but they still require some cash up front. Cash that we don''t currently have. Next summer on the other hand we would of received the full £60m plus over the season and what hasn''t been spent this year will be available next year.
Plus there''s always January if the right player is available which they haven''t been so far this summer.
Davo

Looking at the genuine rumours we were trying for more but our first choices weren''t moving. Toivonen, Quag and Toby. Unless you wanted us to spend money for the sake of it, then I think we done extremely well. We have a bit left for emergencies as well.

Prudence my arse.

There''s this amazing month called January which is supposed to fix any problems left over from the summer in the world of football y''know.

[quote user="Herman "]Looking at the genuine rumours we were trying for more but our first choices weren''t moving. Toivonen, Quag and Toby. Unless you wanted us to spend money for the sake of it, then I think we done extremely well. We have a bit left for emergencies as well.

Prudence my arse.[/quote]

^^^This.

Herman wrote:

Looking at the genuine rumours we were trying for more but our first choices weren''t moving. Toivonen, Quag and Toby. Unless you wanted us to spend money for the sake of it, then I think we done extremely well. We have a bit left for emergencies as well. Prudence my **.

^^^

This also

How do people think we find the money for wages?A sizeable proportion of that £60 million goes on wages, we don''t have £60 million to spend on transfer fees.

I think they have got it right. We have spent a record amount of money, spent it well on quality players, and strengthened where needed. I would also have liked another CB, but as others have said there is January if needed. There is also a balance to be struck with numbers of players, too many and they will take too long to gel and may not replicate the team spirit which has been so evident the last 4 seasons.

Finally we must remember that now we are in a  different market, to get materially better players to improve the team will take proportionally more money- we can''t get away with bargain bucket signings anymore but will probably have to spend at least Â£5m for a genuine improvement on what we have. Add in wages and add ons and we can''t do too many without getting into another financial mess.

[quote user="Herman "]Looking at the genuine rumours we were trying for more but our first choices weren''t moving. Toivonen, Quag and Toby. Unless you wanted us to spend money for the sake of it, then I think we done extremely well. We have a bit left for emergencies as well. Prudence my arse.[/quote]

Spot on.  I think "spending money for the sake of it" sums up the opening post for me.

It''s dependent on the players being available and willing to come here. As the links suggest, we tried to get Toivonon and Quag but they were''nt interested. Same applies to Alderweireld! Caulker was available but we have a quality young centre half in Bennett who rarely lets us down when playing first team games. No point moving sideways with signings...

"It''s dependent on the players being available and willing to come here. As the links suggest, we tried to get Toivonon and Quag but they were''nt interested. Same applies to Alderweireld! Caulker was available but we have a quality young centre half in Bennett who rarely lets us down when playing first team games. No point moving sideways with signings.."

Exactly right Wishbone. Alderweireld went to Athletico Madrid, Toivonen stayed put, and Quagliarella was going to Roma but the deal went sour at the end. I think I''m right in saying that all of the above teams mentioned are in european competitions. These players are at big teams, and when they move, move to big teams.

Patience is the key when trying to get players of this quality - it''s not just about money.

"Jackson, Martin, Vaughan, Holt gone we''ve effectively one from 5 strikers to three"

Now children, hands up who can spot what is wrong there ?

Supposedly RVW was from January''s transfer kitty if you take that into consideration and the amount of strikers I am somewhat disappointed.

I think in the end we couldn''t find decent value for anyone better than we already had. I don''t doubt we were planning on spending more but not going to overpay.

Anyone know how much we are likely to have to play with in January?

Many sources are happily putting it about that we spent 25m this summer, but as we all know RVW''s 8.5m came from last seasons budget.

Anyone care to make an intelligent guess as to how much of our budget for this year remains?

Compare our strategy with Holloway, who has left out of his squad of 25 a player he only took on 2 weeks ago - Florian Marange. Thank goodness we have CH in charge.

[quote user="Wiz"]Prudence my arse, even I''m happy with the signings.[Y][/quote]

The question is Wiz will you still be happy in May 2014 or maybe even October 2013 ???? [:P][;)][:D]

I think when the acconts for 2013-14 come out, many of you will be surpirsed by how much cash there is swilling around the club coffers. I think our reluctance to spend reflects the fact that we didnt want to waste our spending potential if we couldnt attract the right quality of players. However, what this does mean is that we are likley to have in excess of £20M to spend in January as otherwise, we will end up paying a sizeable chunk to HMRC in Corporation Tax as the club may have used up its previous losses tax offset.

Of course Norwich are being prudent, but it''s the perfect balanced strategy:-

a) No Debt

b) Majority of disposal income is spent on transfers/wages

c) Increase in spending on youth team.

d) Transfer kitty split in two [not neccesarily equal] for transfers/January.

If you look at Everton as a ''role model'' club, our wages will gradual increase resulting in less disposal income for transfer fees, but hopefully the odd big sale = transfer funds and the higher wages for class of player. But their spending on youth has been critical with the likes of Rooney, Rodwell and now Barkley to mention three.

So answer to OP, yes we are being prudent but it''s a resounding ''''No" to your suggestion we as fans/club are getting short changed.

Baracouda,Yes we are a well run club, which is sustainable for the medium term. However, if prudence involves paying CT to the Givt rather than spending it on players, I would rather have a bit more risk taking. I think we will all genuinely be surprised about how much cash the clu has to spend in the next window - IF we can attract the players.

Louis,

I agree but if your look at the last two seasons we have kept probably the largest proportion of cash for January hence why we spent the money in March for tax purposes.

I would also hazzed a guess, that money might just be stored away for the new stand, if the first half goes according to plan.