Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Free agents

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Are we able to sign free agents and register them after the deadline, or is that it until January now?[/quote]

I believe you can register free agents (as opposed to free transfers) providing there is a gap or gaps in your 25-man squad.

Bothroyd? :P

We''d more likely have to get an unwanted player still on the books somewhere to mutually terminate his deal somewhere and then we could take him. We''d have to be pretty desparate though.

If Pilks, Snoddy or Redmond got injured, might see a Murphy get a place on the bench... Think realistically though we could have Whittaker and Olsson, or play Elmander, Hoolahan or Hooper on the wing before we''d see a Murphy there. Just please not Jonny Howson on right wing. Think the versitility of those above mentioned players meant Hoots didnt think being down to 3 wingers was too much of a crisis. Im glad we did this than sign Vaz Te

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Nicko"]I would take Gallas. Imagine the wages though...[/quote]

Yeah, I''m sure Gallas who was turned down by Palace the other day can demand huge wages, especially as he is earning zero right now...

[/quote]
Interesting take on events, it was Ian Holloway that said he was lining up Gallas - so hardly "turned down". It was probably wage demands which scuppered the deal.
Still, sounds like a QPR type deal to me, they are the only club currently dishing out the huge contracts to people in their twilight years.... otherwise he needs to go to Qatar, UAE, Russia, Azerbaijan, China, or the Indian Premier League in January for his huge tax free final payday, unless an MLS or Australian club have a slot for a designated player. 
Not interested in signing a 36 year old of his stature, because I''d question his hunger for success and is the type of signing who would just retire or piss off if the going got tough..... much like Anelka at West Brom. 
Would be a backwards signing, rather have Yobo personally. 
Beckham out of retirement? Or does Chapelfield not meet his wifes standards? lol. 

Just read the rules - looks like you can''t just sign any old freebie. They have to have been without a club prior to the deadline.

So if a player leaves a team now, no one can sign them until January.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Are we able to sign free agents and register them after the deadline, or is that it until January now?[/quote]

I believe you can register free agents (as opposed to free transfers) providing there is a gap or gaps in your 25-man squad.

[/quote]

"Clubs do not have to name a full squad of 25 if they do not have that many contracted players and in this case they can add free agents outside the transfer window. However if they have 25 eligible contracted players, they must be named."

My understanding is that we have 25 players, 24 of whom we have to name. Redmond being U21.

Presuming that Elliot Bennett is eligible, as injuries are subjective.

So the above rule suggests we can sign a player if that player is a free agent. I would presume that any free agent would have had to be af ree agent BEFORE the squads are announced otherwise they would have had to be included in their clubs squad.

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

"Clubs do not have to name a full squad of 25 if they do not have that many contracted players and in this case they can add free agents outside the transfer window. However if they have 25 eligible contracted players, they must be named."

My understanding is that we have 25 players, 24 of whom we have to name. Redmond being U21.

So the above rule suggests we can sign a player if that player is a free agent. I would presume that any free agent would have had to be af ree agent BEFORE the squads are announced otherwise they would have had to be included in their clubs squad.[/quote]

True about healing time not being totally predictable, but the word from the club was that Bennett would be out for "several months". That would presumably mean he was out of first team action until at least early next year. In that case he could safely be left out of this 25-man squad, freeing up a space. But even if Bennett is counted, with Butterfield''s departure we are - unless I have miscounted - down to 24 "age " players.As it happens I have no reason to think there is a free agent out there we would be interested in, but it does seem (from the normally cautious EDP) that we did want Vaz Te and came close to getting him.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="City1st"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

So the above rule suggests we can sign a player if that player is a free agent. I would presume that any free agent would have had to be af ree agent BEFORE the squads are announced otherwise they would have had to be included in their clubs squad.[/quote]

True about healing time not being totally predictable, but the word from the club was that Bennett would be out for "several months". That would presumably mean he was out of first team action until at least early next year. In that case he could safely be left out of this 25-man squad, freeing up a space. But even if Bennett is counted, with Butterfield''s departure we are - unless I have miscounted - down to 24 "age " players.As it happens I have no reason to think there is a free agent out there we would be interested in, but it does seem (from the normally cautious EDP) that we did want Vaz Te and came close to getting him.

[/quote]

To confirm that, Bennett has been left out, leaving us with 23 "age" players, and so two spaces in the unlikely event there are any free agents out there we might fancy.

"Can''t Control" deal to West Ham is off as he''s unfit. Most of these free agents will be in that state too unless they have been training somewhere. I''m really suprised Benayoun can''t find a club.