Sign in to follow this  
Redders Right Foot

Elmanders goal.

It was a cracking header, I flicked over from the England game and caught it "live" - went past the keeper almost before he dived.  Hope he gets a few of these for City this season, with Snodgrass firing the crosses in.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]It was a cracking header, I flicked over from the England game and caught it "live" - went past the keeper almost before he dived.  Hope he gets a few of these for City this season, with Snodgrass firing the crosses in.[/quote]

You big flicker.  Some hope with Snodgrass.  He only crosses as a last resort..............

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"]It was a cracking header, I flicked over from the England game and caught it "live" - went past the keeper almost before he dived.  Hope he gets a few of these for City this season, with Snodgrass firing the crosses in.[/quote]

You big flicker.  Some hope with Snodgrass.  He only crosses as a last resort..............

[/quote]http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/thetoepoke/id/2970?cc=5739

Toe Poke''s 10 most impressive Premier League players 2012-13

It''s perhaps worth noting that, rather than cobbling together a list

of the ten best players (wherein the likes of Gareth Bale, Robin van

Persie and Juan Mata would all surely feature), we''re specifically

talking about the players who have performed above and beyond our

expectations this term.

Let''s dive straight in at the top, shall we?

Clive Mason/Getty Images)Snodgrass: Cross man
10. Robert Snodgrass, Norwich:

The industrious Scottish winger is far and away Norwich''s most valuable

player this season, and that''s according to whichever statisticians you

choose to consult. Snodgrass has fired over more than double the amount

of crosses than anyone else at the Canaries this season. Competitive,

excellent crosser of the ball and willing to muck in and scrap if

necessary.

--------------Imagine what he''d have achieved if he didn''t only "cross as a last resort".....

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"]It was a cracking header, I flicked over from the England game and caught it "live" - went past the keeper almost before he dived.  Hope he gets a few of these for City this season, with Snodgrass firing the crosses in.[/quote]You big flicker.  Some hope with Snodgrass.  He only crosses as a last resort..............[/quote]http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/thetoepoke/id/2970?cc=5739Toe Poke''s 10 most impressive Premier League players 2012-13It''s perhaps worth noting that, rather than cobbling together a list

of the ten best players (wherein the likes of Gareth Bale, Robin van

Persie and Juan Mata would all surely feature), we''re specifically

talking about the players who have performed above and beyond our

expectations this term.

10. Robert Snodgrass, Norwich:

The industrious Scottish winger is far and away Norwich''s most valuable

player this season, and that''s according to whichever statisticians you

choose to consult. Snodgrass has fired over more than double the amount

of crosses than anyone else at the Canaries this season. Competitive,

excellent crosser of the ball and willing to muck in and scrap if

necessary.

--------------Imagine what he''d have achieved if he didn''t only "cross as a last resort".....[/quote]Now you know as well as I do that its not quantity that matters - but the timing and accuracy of those crosses.  He has created goals, to be sure, but there are many occasions where he ignores the possibilities, tries to do it all himself and delays his cross until the defence is back in numbers.  He can be very frustrating.   To my mind he does not have a positive attitude to his football.  Its moan, moan, fall over, moan a bit more, run into cul de sacs, moan, fall over again, cross eventually if he has to, moan, fall over.  Take all the free-kicks - even though there are others capable. Its frustrating to watch.   He is a big influence to the team -  because he tries so hard, but the effect of what he does is limited - imo. 

I don''t think he is fully match fit yet. He didn''t have much of a pre-season and his wife having a car crash, while pregnant, can''t have helped mentally. Admittedly his end product was poor against Soton but a few more games and he will get his rhythm.

Also he was our biggest point scorer on fantasy football so proof he is doing something right:-)

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"]It was a cracking header, I flicked over from the England game and caught it "live" - went past the keeper almost before he dived.  Hope he gets a few of these for City this season, with Snodgrass firing the crosses in.
[/quote]
You big flicker. 
Some hope with Snodgrass.  He only crosses as a last resort..............
[/quote]
http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/thetoepoke/id/2970?cc=5739
Toe Poke''s 10 most impressive Premier League players 2012-13
It''s perhaps worth noting that, rather than cobbling together a list of the ten best players (wherein the likes of Gareth Bale, Robin van Persie and Juan Mata would all surely feature), we''re specifically talking about the players who have performed above and beyond our expectations this term.
10. Robert Snodgrass, Norwich: The industrious Scottish winger is far and away Norwich''s most valuable player this season, and that''s according to whichever statisticians you choose to consult. Snodgrass has fired over more than double the amount of crosses than anyone else at the Canaries this season. Competitive, excellent crosser of the ball and willing to muck in and scrap if necessary.
--------------
Imagine what he''d have achieved if he didn''t only "cross as a last resort".....
[/quote]

Now you know as well as I do that its not quantity that matters - but the timing and accuracy of those crosses.  He has created goals, to be sure, but there are many occasions where he ignores the possibilities, tries to do it all himself and delays his cross until the defence is back in numbers.  He can be very frustrating.   To my mind he does not have a positive attitude to his football.  Its moan, moan, fall over, moan a bit more, run into cul de sacs, moan, fall over again, cross eventually if he has to, moan, fall over.  Take all the free-kicks - even though there are others capable. Its frustrating to watch.   He is a big influence to the team -  because he tries so hard, but the effect of what he does is limited - imo. 

[/quote]

Er, what?

http://www.soccerhighlightstoday.com/2013/09/video-ireland-1-2-sweden-world-cup.html

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Now you know as well as I do that its not quantity that matters - but the timing and accuracy of those crosses.  He has created goals, to be sure, but there are many occasions where he ignores the possibilities, tries to do it all himself and delays his cross until the defence is back in numbers.  He can be very frustrating.   To my mind he does not have a positive attitude to his football.  Its moan, moan, fall over, moan a bit more, run into cul de sacs, moan, fall over again, cross eventually if he has to, moan, fall over.  Take all the free-kicks - even though there are others capable. Its frustrating to watch.   He is a big influence to the team -  because he tries so hard, but the effect of what he does is limited - imo. 

[/quote]

Back on topic it was a terrific header by Elmander and it looks to me that he is going to be a great player for us.

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Agreed Til, but we need to work on the crossing too, which I guess was the point that LDC is making.[/quote]

I was really answering Chops'' point about Snodgrass.  but the point is valid.   Elmander and RVW are not going to score many from crosses by Snodgrass.  How many crosses from Snodgrass were converted by strikers last season?  How many were accurate enough so a Norwich head could get on the end of it?   I genuinely don''t know the answers.   But watching Hooper''s goals when at Celtic, an awful lot of them were scored because he had accurate pinpoint crosses, crossed in early.   We know we have the players to score - we did last season too - but delivery from wide needs to be better - its no good saying someone puts in a lot of crosses if those crosses have poor accuracy.   It seems we have class finishers in RVW, Elmander and Hooper.  Its up to the midfield and wide men to deliver.

Oh, and if you just want platitudes - yes, great goal by Elmander.

Couldn''t agree more LDC. There is a certain amount of "rose coloured spectacles" where our Snodders is concerned. One can''t help but think that if we got better quality into the box then RVW, Elmander and Hooper would score a hatful this season.

It is not just getting clean crosses in, but doing this early. We are generally slow at whipping in crosses when the opposing defence is off guard. Redomd is going to be critical in this respect (and Pilks too).

[quote user="lake district canary"]Now you know as well as I do that its not quantity that matters - but the timing and accuracy of those crosses.  He has created goals, to be sure, but there are many occasions where he ignores the possibilities, tries to do it all himself and delays his cross until the defence is back in numbers.  He can be very frustrating.   To my mind he does not have a positive attitude to his football.  Its moan, moan, fall over, moan a bit more, run into cul de sacs, moan, fall over again, cross eventually if he has to, moan, fall over.  Take all the free-kicks - even though there are others capable. Its frustrating to watch.   He is a big influence to the team -  because he tries so hard, but the effect of what he does is limited - imo.  [/quote]Wow! Seems you''ve already decided on your "scapegoat of the season". Not bad for somebody who claims to be one of the more positive posters on this board. I think it''s good to see a player with so much passion and fire in his belly fighting for the cause. Of course, we''ve been spoiled in the past, great players like Hucks never moaned did they?As for Elmander, I''ve been very impressed with what I''ve seen so far. A real handful for opposing defences and knows where the goal is too. Another very astute signing by Hughton.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]Now you know as well as I do that its not quantity that matters - but the timing and accuracy of those crosses.  He has created goals, to be sure, but there are many occasions where he ignores the possibilities, tries to do it all himself and delays his cross until the defence is back in numbers.  He can be very frustrating.   To my mind he does not have a positive attitude to his football.  Its moan, moan, fall over, moan a bit more, run into cul de sacs, moan, fall over again, cross eventually if he has to, moan, fall over.  Take all the free-kicks - even though there are others capable. Its frustrating to watch.   He is a big influence to the team -  because he tries so hard, but the effect of what he does is limited - imo.  [/quote]Wow! Seems you''ve already decided on your "scapegoat of the season". Not bad for somebody who claims to be one of the more positive posters on this board. I think it''s good to see a player with so much passion and fire in his belly fighting for the cause. Of course, we''ve been spoiled in the past, great players like Hucks never moaned did they?  As for Elmander, I''ve been very impressed with what I''ve seen so far. A real handful for opposing defences and knows where the goal is too. Another very astute signing by Hughton.[/quote]I''m not into making scapegoats. If we are talking "positive" then yes, I want Snodgrass to be more positive. I think he can do better with the talent he has.   That''s not making scapegoats, that is wishing the best for him and the team.   On a footballing level we are trying to improve.  

Lappin,Given that you have been impressed of what you have seen of Elmander, may I ask how impressed you have been with Snoddy''s performances for club and country this season so far. I have watched every minute of these games and I think he is under achieving and could do better. Why is unclear, but that is CH''s job to figure out and address. However, lets not get into emperors clothe''s territory here and believe that it is not possible to debate what fans see with their own eyes. Wanting improvement does not make everyone a binner, or does it?

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Lappin,Wanting improvement does not make everyone a binner, or does it?[/quote]Why did you feel the need to say that?

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Errr, because that is the usual riposte.

[/quote]

So there will be countless instances of this riposte .....

Or you just made it up....

[^o)]

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Errr, because that is the usual riposte.

So do you think Snoddy is playing well at the moment?
[/quote]

He''s only played 1 game and had 1 substitute appearance (in difficult circumstances) following an injury and disrupted preseason. Yes he wasn''t his usual self against Southampton but it''s a little early to be able to make a judgement on his form wouldn''t you say?

He was 2nd top goalscorer last season and created plenty of opportunities for his team mates whilst not neglecting his defensive duties. If he can reproduce that form again this season then I''ll be more than happy.

So what if he likes a moan?

[quote user="lake district canary"]I''m not into making scapegoats. If we are talking "positive" then yes, I want Snodgrass to be more positive. I think he can do better with the talent he has.   That''s not making scapegoats, that is wishing the best for him and the team.   On a footballing level we are trying to improve.[/quote]I think you (like many) tend to ignore the excellent defensive side of Snoddy''s game, something that other wingers past and present, have been criticised for. While he''s not blessed with Redmond''s pace going forward, he makes up for that by turning defence into attack. He''s not quick enough to speed past defenders in the way Redmond or Pilks do but he''s very clever in gaining free kicks setting up scoring opportunities. It''s the way of the modern game I''m afraid but he is very good at it.I will agree he hasn''t been at his best so far this season but we know there''s more to come from him. Hopefully, once other teams become aware of Redmond''s threat, it will leave more space for Snoddy to work with.As for Elmander..........

Lappin/Mr Brownstone,

Fair points but I haven’t said anything about moaning or his obvious defensive

qualities. My point was really connected with the supply line to our forwards.

I have noticed that Snoddy seems to be running into cul-de-sacs in the final

third of the pitch and not releasing the ball quickly. This observations is

based not just on our games, but both the Scotland matches which I watched in

their entirety. For some reason, he simply hasn’t looked like his old self and

he is lacking incisiveness. This could be connected to fitness, but he has

played most of pre-season and two internationals, so it is hardly like he is

coming back from a long term injury. I suspect that he may find himself dropped

for a while in favour of a returning Pilks until het gets his mojo back,

because he sure as hell doesn’t look like a happy bunny at present.

I am a little astonished by this thread. For me, Snods was player of the season last year, though it was a close run thing with Bassong. Though crosses are an important part of the game, they are not necessarily one of the most productive on a percentage basis. If they were, Snods would be playing on the left, but he isn''t, because he has more to offer on the right. His ability to get past defenders to the by-line and cut the ball back to the striker is far more effective, IMO. Add to this his ability to cut inside and beat defenders makes him doubly difficult for defenders and then there is his excellent defending when he tracks back to help the full-back. It''s true that he hasn''t been back to his best this season, but CH has a very hard task to decide the battle between Snods, Pilks and Redmond.

He was clearly one of the players of last year, but by the standards he has set, he has underachieved so far this year. Let''s hope this is simply the injury and that he will get better with game time.

You won''t find many people that go to away games complaining about Snoddy. By far our best player on the road last season. So he''s had a slow start, give him a break.