Sign in to follow this  
Ketts Rebel

Last Norwich / England Player ?

Could anyone help answer a question that cropped up at work today ?

Who was the last Norwich player to play for England''s first team in a competitive international ?  -  Not just on the bench or in the squad.

Also the opponents and date ?

I think Rob Green may have been playing for West Ham at the time?

Looks like Chris Woods could well be the answer...43 appearances in total during his career with all clubs.

I guess competitive as opposed to a friendly match, because the manager may not select his strongest team.

Any other suggestions ?

I think we may well have a budding future England player in our ranks right now..............

I remember Darren Eadie getting a call up once although I don''t know whether he got on the pitch or whether that was while he was with us or Leicester.

[quote user="BarclayWazza"]I remember Darren Eadie getting a call up once although I don''t know whether he got on the pitch or whether that was while he was with us or Leicester.[/quote]Eadie has no full caps, just a couple for the under 21''s.He was in the England squad for Le Tournoi in 1997 though! Didn''t get onto the pitch though.

Pretty sure woods never played competitive international whilst with us. Don''t think Watson did either. Almost certain no one has since either.

After a quick google search...

Dave Watson got 6 caps whilst with us, so I''d go for him. Not a clue who against though.

Apparently, we have only actually had 7 players capped for the England senior side whilst with us. Boyer, Reeves, Barham, Woods, Watson, Green and Ruddy.

I''m not sure on the reliability of that stat, but I certainly can''t think of too many others.

OK I''ll bite Jimmy. The goal scorer was not our Dave Watson. The player referred to is Kevin Reeves.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]1 game, 1 goal, not bad going![/quote]That''s the wrong Dave Watson in that game - not the one who played for us.It was actually Kevin Reeves in that game who was our only ever competitive England international. Dave Watson, Phil Boyer, Mark Barham, Rob Green and Chris Woods only ever played in international friendlies while playing for Norwich.

Same website lists our Dave Watson as having played for England in the Rous Cup (v Scotland) in April 86. It also lists an appearance in the Ciudad de Mexico cup in Jun 85. The website lists these as competitive, but I guess that depends on your own definition of ''competitive''. Under normal circumstances I would want to suggest that these are ''friendly'' tournaments, but with a Canary in the side... ;-)

http://www.englandstats.com/matches.php?mid=602

http://www.englandstats.com/matches.php?mid=611

They''re just friendlies that they decided to give a special name to. The Rous Cup was probably one of the more competitive of friendlies though. The Ciudad de Mexico cup was just a warm-up tournament for the Mexico World Cup.

Interesting given the comments by Greg Dyke about lack of English players in the Prem.

I have always thought that the English national team suffers from the fact that players from Scotland, Wales and Ireland have always featured very heavily in the English league - it is just so easy for them to come and play in England (compared to moving to Spain/Italy or whatever).  This dates back to well before the Prem was created.  If you look at Spain/Italy/Germany, they have nothing comparable hence their leagues are still much more dominated by home-country players.

Of course the Prem has made it much worse, no surprise that the Prem clubs having more money has lead to them buying in more of the best talent from around the world.

Thinking about current Norwich players who have England potential.  Redmond is obvious, Ryan Bennett if he is able to get into the starting lineup.  Ruddy if Hart gets injured - or if Hart''s form gets much worse I can see him being dropped by Man City.  Hooper might have England potential if our dearth of strikers continues (and he does well, obviously).

[quote user="Kolin Kob"]As far as I can tell, this is the ONLY competitive England fixture that a Norwich player has EVER been involved in:
http://www.englandstats.com/matches.php?mid=536
Startled by this fact, but I believe it is correct. Happily will be proved wrong

[/quote]

I was at that game

A special prize to anyone who knows why the game was on a thursday and why Reeves played

[quote user="Joey Deacan"]Delayed due to weather ?
[/quote]

thats the first part right, it was due to be played on the wednesday but was called off due to fog about half hour before kick off!!! I went that night and the next night.

Anyone know why Kevin Reeves got called up on the thursday, I will give you a clue, if the game had been on the wednesday he wouldnt have played

[quote user="Joey Deacan"]Delayed due to weather ?
[/quote]

thats the first part right, it was due to be played on the wednesday but was called off due to fog about half hour before kick off!!! I went that night and the next night.

Anyone know why Kevin Reeves got called up on the thursday, I will give you a clue, if the game had been on the wednesday he wouldnt have played

Many thanks for your efforts..its a more difficult question than I thought!

Hopefully it wont be too long before we see another Norwich player in an England shirt.

[quote user="Ketts Rebel"]

Many thanks for your efforts..its a more difficult question than I thought!

Hopefully it wont be too long before we see another Norwich player in an England shirt.

[/quote]Is it because the day before, Kevin Reeves was busy burning the US Embassy in Islamabad?http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/november/21/newsid_4187000/4187184.stm