Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Elvis Hammond

I was just reading about Elvis Hammond who has been jailed for one year for money laundering and noticed a line about dispatches revealing in 2011 that he had received a six month ban for cocaine use in September 2003.
We signed him at the start of that season and on ex-canaries it says: "An injury cut short his spell at Norwich and he returned to Fulham on 12th September."
Could it be that he failed that test at Norwich? Looks likely? Goes to show that we never know what goes on behind the scenes, although will come as no surprise to anybody that the fluffy stuff is the drug of choice for footballers - generally leaves the system within 24 hours.
That was our promotion season and rumours of ''extra-curricular activities'' amongst our squad were pretty rife at the time. Won''t mention names of course, but anybody semi streetwise who drank in the same places as the players on a Saturday night in that season would have had their erm... ''suspicions''.
Not suggesting that Elvis Hammond was in some way corrupted by Norwich players, just interesting that this appears to be the first publicised case of a current Norwich player failing a drugs test?
The FA seem to keep most of them under wraps though so who knows how common it is in the sport.

When I say "a current Norwich player" I do of course mean current at the time of the failed test, rather than current now.

I think the better thing with Elvis Hammond is that whilst playing for Farnborough he had his name changed by deed poll to ''Pele'', when the whole club was sponsored by a bookies.

Interesting. Looking at the newspaper articles following the Dispatches programme, Norwich aren''t even mentioned in the Mail or the Mirror, the Mirror stating he was at Fulham when he failed the test.

Of course Fulham loaned him to us but I''d like to think that if journalists managed to find out about a failed drug test that wasn''t public knowledge, they''d also know when it was taken.

Given the length of the ban, it suggests that he wasn''t tested on a match day as this carries a longer ban. For these reasons, the fact that nobody in the tabloids seems to mentions Norwich City, we weren''t mentioned in the Dispatches programme, I''d say it was highly unlikely that the positive test was taken while he was here.

He was only on a one month loan, made four appearances and scored no goals. His loan ended on the 12th September and he tested positive that month. However you look at it, he spent the majority of that month at Fulham.

So I''m hopeful that he wasn''t here when he failed his drug test, I''m also not sure why anyone would want to try and implicate our club in a ten year old drug scandal that even the scurrilous press had managed to avoid naming us in any way!!

Which of our players were you suspicious of TNB? Any Hall of Famers???

"Given the length of the ban, it suggests that he wasn''t tested on a match day as this carries a longer ban"
Six months sounds like it is the longer ban though, Garry O''Connor only got three months for cocaine abuse. 
But don''t know how long these things take, depends on many factors I suppose..... in other sports players can request an analysis of a b test. 
Also they have hearings, so no idea whether they are in a few days after for a hearing or whether that takes longer. But the player and club will know straight away if test has been failed so unlikely he would come on loan if the offence was before the transfer.
So guess we will never know whether it was during his loan or after. Loads of them are tooting anyway.... so not like he is a special case. 
Don''t give a monkeys about recreational drug use anyway..... they aren''t performance enhancing (ask Adrian Mutu). I''d be more pee''d off if we lost to a team full of players on nandrolene or steroids (which probably happens also). 

Apparently (disclaimer being that I only read this today) if you test positive for drugs on a match day it is supposed to carry a two year suspension - there was some squit about a player getting less than that (Shaun Newton?).

As it is, o''connor, Hammond an Newton all got shorter bans than Rio Ferdinand, make of that what you will.

Which is quite right when you think about it. Failure to take a test should always carry a greater penalty, otherwise a guilty party would always just avoid the testing

I see that point of view but..... Ferdinand only got 2 months more and actually a month less than Bosnich got for testing positive for Cocaine so it doesn''t ring true. Also 6 months and possibility of being sacked by your club or 8 months? I think every player would still take the 8 months wouldn''t they?

Anyway....TNB....who were these Norwich players getting on the  Peruvian Party Powder back in 2003?!?!?!?!

Thought he was with my local club (Woking) when it happened? Maybe not. Incidentally, Mr Anthony McNamee is currently gracing Woking FC''s team.

[quote user="dpit"]Thought he was with my local club (Woking) when it happened? Maybe not. Incidentally, Mr Anthony McNamee is currently gracing Woking FC''s team.[/quote]Lol, makes his "Get Capello on the phone" song seem a bit silly now.

[quote user="Warren Hill"]

Anyway....TNB....who were these Norwich players getting on the  Peruvian Party Powder back in 2003?!?!?!?!

[/quote]
Don''t be silly.... I''m a lot of things but not daft. Besides, couldn''t care less if Norwich consumed half the GDP of Colombia in that particular year it was a great season. 

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Jeez TNB, this thread could get interesting (or deleted), with gossip like that[/quote]
Gossip like what? I haven''t named any names, neither will I. 
Couldn''t care less if the City of Norwich snorted half the GDP of Colombia in that particular year - it was a great season.

[quote user="dpit"]Thought he was with my local club (Woking) when it happened? Maybe not. Incidentally, Mr Anthony McNamee is currently gracing Woking FC''s team.[/quote]
The money laundering did.
Although we all know what type of money needs to be washed don''t we, so similar thing. 

[quote user="City1st"]"The FA seem to keep most of them under wraps ...."

hmmm[/quote]
I wish I could claim that as an intentional pun, however it was purely accidental. 

elvis hammond was plop, and i don''t think being a crack head had much to do with it....he was in a privileged position and threw it away... he might stop and think about that when he''s up at 4 am sweeping the streets on his release...way to throw away our life son! Pr*ck!

Would be interesting if the same doping tests they use for cycling were introduced to football.

Very strong rumours that doping is rife in Spain and also Bayern Munich implicated.

[quote user="City1st"]"The FA seem to keep most of them under wraps ...."

hmmm[/quote]Heard a few rumours that Jack Wilshere had failed a drugs test last season, cocaine abuse apparently. It was covered up by the injury he had, they basically said the injury was worse than it was, it was covered up by the FA as he is England''s biggest hope for the future, if it was released he had failed a drugs test then it would of had a big impact on English football.Just rumours of course but apparently he was a massive coke head and needed rehab 

Cheers Morty for reminding me about my part in helping to create a song (using this forum) for one of the most disappointing signings of Paul Lamberts reign. :)

If he''d been the new Huckerby I would have been so much happier!

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/3/2018319/ShowPost.aspx#2018319

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]Cheers Morty for reminding me about my part in helping to create a song (using this forum) for one of the most disappointing signings of Paul Lamberts reign. :)

If he''d been the new Huckerby I would have been so much happier!

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/3/2018319/ShowPost.aspx#2018319[/quote]Well played for getting it sung on the terraces though[Y]

[quote user="ellis206"][quote user="City1st"]"The FA seem to keep most of them under wraps ...."

hmmm[/quote]Heard a few rumours that Jack Wilshere had failed a drugs test last season, cocaine abuse apparently. It was covered up by the injury he had, they basically said the injury was worse than it was, it was covered up by the FA as he is England''s biggest hope for the future, if it was released he had failed a drugs test then it would of had a big impact on English football.Just rumours of course but apparently he was a massive coke head and needed rehab  [/quote]

These were twitter rumours that Arsenal and Wilshere took police advice on so probably not wise to repeat them?