Sign in to follow this  
morty

Objectivity.

Love the way this thread has gone from discussions about emotional needs and free will vs biological determinism, ending up with whether England can win the World Cup.

My view is that England''s chances are probably our worst since, well probably ever.  But (if we get to the finals of course) at the World Cup we normally get through the pool stage, and it''s then a knockout for 16 teams, and like any cup competition, anyone who gets into the last 16 has a chance.  Teams like Brazil and Spain will obviously be the favourites, but to say we''ve no chance is IMO just as wrong as people who''ve said we would win, the last few times.

Have to say the last few World Cups I''ve come away bitterly disappointed when England went out because of the way we went out.  This time I can see England giving it a decent go and failing at the QF stage, and being quite philosophical about it given the players at our disposal.

This thread has been a truly exciting and thought provoking read. (I mean it, finding something so high-brow in a football forum impresses me no end...)

In the light of what has been told above, now I wonder whether when Sir Alex Ferguson famously whacked the football boot at David Beckham''s head, was it the "objective" act of the well informed manager, or did he whack the boot "subjectively", yielding to an emotional need?