Sign in to follow this  
spencer 1970

Club Cabbage

[quote user="Indy"]Inner circle again![/quote]The problem with the inner circle is those in it want to be out, and those not in it want to be in. But how can you tell which is which Indy? [:^)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Like I said.. it''s frustrating. But then if Fred and Mable weren''t there when the coaches arrive they don''t deserve seats saving.

As for bus 5 onwards.. I don''t know. For many years there were rarely more than 3 busses went. So the point I was making was that I would have friends on busses 1-3 and disabled but would be luckier to find someone I knew on the other busses. I make friends easily though...

Oh dear.......that sounds like the sort of thing mothers warn their kids about  [;)]

[/quote]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

I can pretty much travel on any of the first 4 coaches and be amongst friends. But they''re not all so lucky. A lot of this seat saving is done so that people can travel with the same friends to every game. While I can see it''s frustrating I can''t see where there''s really a problem.

[/quote]

My issue was that they were the only 4 empty seats together on the coach, and I wanted to sit with my kids. There was nobody sat in the seats, so I had them![/quote]It would probably be better if there was some sort of seat reservation system in place. The regulars want to sit together but non-regulars, especially those with young kids, obviously need to too.Presumably it''s been tried before but didn''t work ?

I remember joining when Duncan set it up, they gave us t-shirts with Club Canary written over the clubs crest, I gave mine to Bar Canary in Arenal on Majorca, they hung it up behind the bar, happy days!

"PAUL"

I don''t like the club cabbage. I drive my two boys to games, that way we can stop when/where we like, and I can have a fag while driving.

You ever heard of passive smoking?

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

I can pretty much travel on any of the first 4 coaches and be amongst friends. But they''re not all so lucky. A lot of this seat saving is done so that people can travel with the same friends to every game. While I can see it''s frustrating I can''t see where there''s really a problem.

[/quote]

My issue was that they were the only 4 empty seats together on the coach, and I wanted to sit with my kids. There was nobody sat in the seats, so I had them![/quote]It would probably be better if there was some sort of seat reservation system in place. The regulars want to sit together but non-regulars, especially those with young kids, obviously need to too.Presumably it''s been tried before but didn''t work ?[/quote]I don''t know, I don''t actually use the coaches that much. But reserving seats for your mates smacks a little of Germans putting towels on loungers, its just not British!

[quote user="crabbycanary"]

I was on the very first official trip, Rotherham away 1981, and that was with 6 foot 2 eyes are blue, as our ''Steward''. Double decker bus ''an all.

Those were the days my friend....................

[/quote]

I was on that trip as well crabby. We lost 4-1 and Greg Shepherd scored our goal if I remember correctly. I always remember as the coaches were leaving some Rotherham fans were laying in the middle of a roundabout on their backs with their legs and arms in the air laughing like the robots on the old Cadburys smash adverts.

Anybody else on the trip to Oldham for a midweek evening game in the early eighties which I think holds the record for the lowest number of Norwich fans travelling to an away game on Cabbage.........39 ?

The age old remedy of plastic bags for piles sufferers proved to be of no help to older members of club cabbage

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Like I said.. it''s frustrating. But then if Fred and Mable weren''t there when the coaches arrive they don''t deserve seats saving.

As for bus 5 onwards.. I don''t know. For many years there were rarely more than 3 busses went. So the point I was making was that I would have friends on busses 1-3 and disabled but would be luckier to find someone I knew on the other busses. I make friends easily though...

Oh dear.......that sounds like the sort of thing mothers warn their kids about  [;)]

[/quote][/quote]

My mum warned me about you Smithy but I talks to ya anyway[:P]

". We lost 4-1 and Greg Shepherd scored our goal if I remember correctly."

Another one of your relief Tilly?

[quote user="Vanwink"]". We lost 4-1 and Greg Shepherd scored our goal if I remember correctly." Another one of your relief Tilly?[/quote]

No.

"I was on that trip as well crabby. We lost 4-1 and Greg Shepherd scored our goal if I remember correctly. I always remember as the coaches were leaving some Rotherham fans were laying in the middle of a roundabout on their backs with their legs and arms in the air laughing like the robots on the old Cadburys smash adverts."

TIL, they were doing the "dying fly" one of the strange rituals on tiswas at the time. Shepherd scored first but I seem to remember their right winger replied pretty much straight away. I just remember he was sponsored by Pukka Pies !

I also going to Leicester with Duncan, I think it was the Keith Weller in tights match. I remember it because it was the day Vulcan bombers destroyed the airstrip on the Falklands

It is getting to the stage where we could arrange a 1980''s Club Canary meet up.Now that would be one hell of an Inner Circle ! [;)]

Did not matter whether it was the Farm Shop or the Cheerio Café dear old Duncan Forbes always shouted from the back to the girls behind the counter " crocodile sandwich and make it snappy ". Well I say shout it was more of a roar and he reckons he was only ever carried off once and that was shoulder high.

Remember going down to either Crystal Palace (or Wimbledon playing at CP) one season in the late 80s, sitting in the bottom rear of one of the posh coaches used back then with a few friends (initials DP, KG, RR and a few others, they knew me a Thorny way back then) - getting bricked at the Elephant & Castle by Millwall fans on the way there and again on the way back. Coach stops, everyone off an chases - morons just disappeared. Happy were were down there as must have been drafty on the way back upstairs.

As for cabbage - definitely because of the banter/fun had by most on the entire trip. Dull as dishwater. Rather be on Cracker Jack

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]I also going to Leicester with Duncan, I think it was the Keith Weller in tights match. I remember it because it was the day Vulcan bombers destroyed the airstrip on the Falklands[/quote]

I think we won 4-1 that day and it was a crucial result in us getting promoted that season. We took 10,000 to the last game away at Sheff Wed, lost 2-1, but still went up cos Leicester drew.

"I also going to Leicester with Duncan, I think it was the Keith Weller in tights match. I remember it because it was the day Vulcan bombers destroyed the airstrip on the Falklands I think we won 4-1 that day and it was a crucial result in us getting promoted that season. We took 10,000 to the last game away at Sheff Wed, lost 2-1, but still went up cos Leicester drew."

I thought the ''Keith Weller in tights game'' was a FA Cup 3rd round game, it could just be my bad memory but I think I remember trying to get to the game but having to turn back as the weather was really bad.

Can anyone clear up my confusion?

Yep. The cup game was ''79 when we lost 3-0.

The league game we won 4-1 was ''82. I think after Weller''s time but Gary Linekar played that day.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Yep. The cup game was ''79 when we lost 3-0.

The league game we won 4-1 was ''82. I think after Weller''s time but Gary Linekar played that day.

[/quote]

Thanks NN. I managed to get to the 4-1 win in ''82, Barham was brilliant, stayed in Leicester that night with friends, the pub we went to had ''Fantastic Day'' by Haircut 100 on it so I played it every chance I got.

Was meant to go to Leicester in ''82 but an accident stopped me going.

Talking about Weller.. anyone as old as me remember him and Derek Possee playing for Millwall at Carrow Road in probably the late 60s? I remember Keelan poleaxing Possee and Millwall missing the subsequent penalty.

That 4-1 win, was (up to then) my top away game. Leicester were going great guns themselves, but we absolutely marmalised ''em.

I remember (?) a guy with a name made for professional football , scoring an og for us. Step forward Norman Leet

Herman - yes I have heard of passive smoking, but my window is always open a bit for the boys. I mainly smoke outside - even on remembrance sunday at the cenataph!! 

[quote user="Thorny"]May have been Chartlon at Palace back then. Not Wimbledon[/quote]

Went to Wimbledon away at Selhurst Park in 92/93?? when Big Fat Bob paid for the away travel.  We got there just before kick-off as the Club Cabbage driver insisted we were going the right way on the M23 until we hit Gatwick!!!!

I''ve just been chatting to my pal who''s a Spuds fan and we talked about their away coach travel. It seems like we''re not alone with Club Cabbage...they call theirs the wally bus. :)

He passed on this from one of their forums...

It is known as the wally bus for a reason. I got it to Manchester United away when I was 15 or 16. I think for the FA cup and I was sat next to a geezer who kept on saying to me the whole way there "I hope we dont get attacked"

Never got it again, that was the one and only time.

I remember bumping into the wally bus crew for Madrid away and they all walked around together with cameras taking photographs of all the local sights whilst everyone else was getting completely wa*kered in Plaza Mayor.

Personally I havent done a domestic away day for a few seasons because of the sunday KO''s and they keep getting moved for TV. Only do European aways now.

Although he come across a tad neanderthal I do think there is a time and a place to take in the sights.