Sign in to follow this  
spencer 1970

Club Cabbage

Getting " lost" in Boston on the way back from Grimsby. Took Margaret the driver for Swaffham Coachways about an hour to find her way out. Nobody dare say a word as she was a somewhat large formidable woman who wore loose jeans and comfortable trainers if you follow my drift.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Getting " lost" in Boston on the way back from Grimsby. Took Margaret the driver for Swaffham Coachways about an hour to find her way out. Nobody dare say a word as she was a somewhat large formidable woman who wore loose jeans and comfortable trainers if you follow my drift. [/quote]How did you know they were ''comfortable'' Tilly, did you try them on? [:^)]

I genuinely thought it was due to the the modern day city bus travellers having brains like a cabbage...well, you learn something every day.We drew lots for one of us to go on Cabbage a few years ago.  The loser took one of those large coke bottles with alcohol in it and said the people were so bad he''d drunk it by Thetford and wanted to either get off or sleep the whole way.  He came back from the game with us as he said the alternative was to walk home in preference to getting back on the coach.Back in the late 60s and 70s away games by coach (if there was no football special) were like a jolly boys outing.  As Nutty says you''d stop at places like Red Lodge and other pubs or services on the way and take whatever you wanted on the coach.  No frigging little hitler stewards either.

Millwall away, a few years ago, can''t remember if it was League 1 or our Championship promotion years.

Bus driver basically got lost in South London. The brainless moron kept driving round in circles getting stuck in the same traffic again and again. Numerous fans had smartphones with GPS and were telling him where to go, but he wasn''t prepared to listen. Ended up getting to the game a few seconds before kick-off. Gutted I missed out on my normal ritual of a few beers in the bar and 20 minutes on the terrace watching the atmosphere build. Now that driver definitely qualifies for a prize Cabbage title. I can''t understand why anyone who drives beyond the local area in their profession, would not have a sat nav backup for such times.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

When this has been claimed before Mr Carrow said Baldwin stole it from fanzine. Now these were around long before Baldwin''s book. I''d ask Mr Carrow but he''s probably washing his hair or doing sums on a fag packet or something......

He''d know though because he used to have a fanzine round[;)]

[/quote]

I used it in a cartoon I did for the fanzine ''Never Mind The Danger'' back in the late 80''s - I didn''t invent it though as the term had been around for sometime then????

[quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

When this has been claimed before Mr Carrow said Baldwin stole it from fanzine. Now these were around long before Baldwin''s book. I''d ask Mr Carrow but he''s probably washing his hair or doing sums on a fag packet or something......

He''d know though because he used to have a fanzine round[;)]

[/quote]

I used it in a cartoon I did for the fanzine ''Never Mind The Danger'' back in the late 80''s - I didn''t invent it though as the term had been around for sometime then????

[/quote]

Don''t know what Fanzine it was M''Lord. We''d need Mr Carrow''s input. Cabbage started with Big Dunc in the early 80s. I have a badge commemorating 30 years a couple of years ago. Poor old Tilly didn''t get one even though he was an original "windowlicker" as he likes to call them[;)] I don''t know much about the early years because that was a time where I rarely went away.

Why don''t you do the occasional cartoon for this message board? Soooooo much scope...........

[;)]

I was on the very first official trip, Rotherham away 1981, and that was with 6 foot 2 eyes are blue, as our ''Steward''. Double decker bus ''an all.

Those were the days my friend....................

I have only been on CC once, hated every minute of it, I think the regulars spotted me as a newbie and directed me to the "remedial coach". Window licking did not even come in to it, there were life forms on that coach that I had never ever seen before, less passengers more primeval soup. It was an away game at Derby County, in the league cup, they were in the Prem, we were going through our Blarneymeister Phase, the coach steward (half man, half cabbage) proclaimed that as they (Derby) were struggling in the Prem we would win, they played us off the park. It took me weeks to get the smell of cabbage out of my clothes, I can only assume that I was very unlucky that day.........

the ONLY plus side of club cabbage is that when you get off every one can have an alcoholic drink without worrying about driving.

the experience is horrible... sit in front of the wrong little teenage chavs and the journey gets even worse...

Stoke away in the promotion season under worthy springs to mind.....

I don''t like the club cabbage.

I drive my two boys to games, that way we can stop when/where we like, and I can have a fag while driving.

Is their still a steward that stands in the door of the coach as it pulls up at Carrow rd to announce that it''s for "regulars only"?  He basically saves the coach for his cabbage mates. 

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Is their still a steward that stands in the door of the coach as it pulls up at Carrow rd to announce that it''s for "regulars only"?  He basically saves the coach for his cabbage mates. [/quote]Lol, yes.I had a bit of a discussion with a woman on one of the coaches, she was trying to tell me I couldn''t sit in a seat because Brenda and Frank*normally sit there.I wasn''t actually bothered where I sat, but sat in the disputed seats mainly to stick two fingers up at her.*Names changed to protect identity.

[quote user="morty"]I had a bit of a discussion with a woman on one of the coaches, she was trying to tell me I couldn''t sit in a seat because Brenda and Frank*normally sit there.[/quote]I know Brenda and Frank.....They''re still coming to terms with their loss. [:(]

So, when you are queuing up for the coaches, is it like at an overcrowded platform at a train station, in that you are trying to guess if the place you are standing will correspond with a train door opposite you, so negating the scrum factor?

Last time we went on one was 8 years ago (Watford). As it was such a short journey, it didn''t seem to matter if any numbnuts wanted to do their partypiece. 

I can pretty much travel on any of the first 4 coaches and be amongst friends. But they''re not all so lucky. A lot of this seat saving is done so that people can travel with the same friends to every game. While I can see it''s frustrating I can''t see where there''s really a problem.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I can pretty much travel on any of the first 4 coaches and be amongst friends. But they''re not all so lucky. A lot of this seat saving is done so that people can travel with the same friends to every game. While I can see it''s frustrating I can''t see where there''s really a problem.

[/quote]My issue was that they were the only 4 empty seats together on the coach, and I wanted to sit with my kids. There was nobody sat in the seats, so I had them!

Like I said.. it''s frustrating. But then if Fred and Mable weren''t there when the coaches arrive they don''t deserve seats saving.

As for bus 5 onwards.. I don''t know. For many years there were rarely more than 3 busses went. So the point I was making was that I would have friends on busses 1-3 and disabled but would be luckier to find someone I knew on the other busses. I make friends easily though...