Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Well done James Vaughan

Just won Championship player of the month! Can''t believe we let him go without actually giving him a chance. Think Hoots has messed up big time here

But agreed, well done to him, I''m happy he has found a club he wants to be at, and is doing well[Y]

A bit of a shame really, I really rate him and once he does well at Huddersfield, he''ll show everyone what we''re missing. We could do with a hard working, pacy striker who knows where the back of the net is...

If he could have been reliable and not likely to break a bone through sneezing then yes,Hughton should have kept him.

What Morty said.

Well done to the fella, there is more to life than football and he just didn''t settle well here. Maybe that was to do with lack of football too but injuries played a large part in that.

I''m also not sure that he is as pacey as he once was due to the injuries. He''s certainly not as quick as RVW or Redmond - perhaps even Hooper.

I hope he can become a good player, perhaps even at premiership level - who knows? At 25 he needs to be somewhere with regular footy to do that. He was never going to get that in the premier league.

Some people might find this quite hard to believe but just because a striker who used to play for us is doing well in the lower leagues, it doesn''t mean they could have produced the same for us.

We''re a mid table Premiership team, it''s not surprising that our ex players are doing well in the lower leagues is it?

The fact that they are is not an indictment of our manager but an example of how we have progressed!

[quote user="Manchester Canary"]Some people might find this quite hard to believe but just because a striker who used to play for us is doing well in the lower leagues, it doesn''t mean they could have produced the same for us.[/quote]

Agree with this. He was a poor purchase. Given his highly publicized injury problems at the time, it was a baffling decision by Lambert to buy him. I can''t remember the figure but I seem to recall he wasn''t cheap.

The story of  James Vaughan''s career has always been one of - is he going to fulfill his potential, or is injury going to stop him?   That he touched down briefly in Norwich on his journey gives us a little more insight into his problems, but if he can stay fit and achieve his potential - as he is at the moment - and do it long term, then all football fans would wish him well.   What little we did see of him was good - and maybe helped his career take off again.  Good luck to him.   We have better now anyway, so there is little loss for us, footballing wise.

Good to see former NCFC players doing well. Good luck to the lad.  Of course we wanted him to produce that form at Norwich, however, persistent injury meant he contributed very little during his time with us. As with our other injury plagued players, it was the prudent choice to move him on.Norwich now have more than enough financial muscle to find better strikers than Vaughan in the transfer market, and this summer that is exactly what happened. Good business all round.

[quote user="Work Horse"]He was a poor purchase. Given his highly publicized injury problems at the time, it was a baffling decision by Lambert to buy him. I can''t remember the figure but I seem to recall he wasn''t cheap.[/quote]

From memory the reported basic price was quite low - around £750,000, with about the same again conditional on appearances. Presumably we ended up paying very little or nothing above the basic fee.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Work Horse"]He was a poor purchase. Given his highly publicized injury problems at the time, it was a baffling decision by Lambert to buy him. I can''t remember the figure but I seem to recall he wasn''t cheap.[/quote]

From memory the reported basic price was quite low - around £750,000, with about the same again conditional on appearances. Presumably we ended up paying very little or nothing above the basic fee.

[/quote]Oddly I seem to remember some people touting around a figure approaching 3m.I''ll go with your figure[Y]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]Oddly I seem to remember some people touting around a figure approaching 3m.I''ll go with your figure[Y][/quote]

Having now looked, the EDP said it was £1.5m, without specifying whether that was the basic or total fee. The Guardian said it was a basic £1.5m rising to £2.5m on appearances.

I''m not sure he really did not want to be here. I never heard (read) that from the man himself. In fact around the end of last season, when asked about his future, I remember him saying among other things that he''d be ready to fight for his place at City.

In a more recent interview he said something quite interesting about his injuries:

"...Happily, two years on, he is fully fit and scoring goals, so what is the difference for a player once described by David Moyes as "too brave for his own good"? He replies: "It''s about knowing my body a bit better, so if I am feeling tired or tight I will let the physios know. I''ve learned to manage my body better, I''ve kept myself in better condition but ultimately it was about a run of games. I''ve got used to playing regularly – at Everton I wasn''t playing regularly and was coming off the bench." And when he did, as he concedes, he would try too hard to impress."

Perhaps CH did make a mistake, with the benefit of hindsight, but given his injury history and his "dodgy knees", it is understandable. There is also the question of whether an ability to score goals in the Championship means that a player can do the same in the Premiership, and internationally, which is what we expect our strikers to do, except possibly Becchio.

I liked Vaughan''s commitment, and at times his bravery, but whatever reasons CH had for letting him go, they could well have been the same as those of Moyes.

He''s just not that good.

Handy to have in the squad when he''s fit (though clearly he doesn''t want to be a bit part) but not good enough to be first choice.

Within a couple of months of moving here his other half and two little kids moved back to Liverpool because she did not like it down in Norfolk/Norwich.

How many more times has this got to be said ? Houghton obviously then had an unhappy player on his hands so the move closer to him was the obvious and best answer for all concerned .....Vaughan,his family and Norwich City FC.

His father who plays a big part in Vaughan''s affairs was trying to engineer a move behind the scenes and if he had not gone to Huddersfield he was being touted to go to Derby.

Anyway well done to James Vaughan and his award but this stupid nonsense about Hughton making a big mistake is well wide of the mark.

Yeah, he''s krap and slow and all of our current strikers are a level above him.  I''m sure he''s even slower than Molby was when he played for us.  He was desperate to get away pretty much from the minute he signed, I know this because I said it''s a fact.  Just ignore what his mate and current NCFC player tweeted recently about his leaving, he knows nothing.  We have moved on to another level way beyond Vaughan and the fact that he is playing in the Championship proves this beyond doubt! This is becoz every player at a lower than the Premiership is krap and every player at Prem level is ace.  Now zip it!!![:@][:@][:@]

Regardless of whether he was settled here or not. The facts are he''s a very injury prone player and as a club we don''t have the luxury of playing teams in which we can give a player like him the matches to get himself match fit. He''s good but not good enough imo to come straight back into our side everytime he gets injured, but at Huddersfield he will be as he''s their stand out player.

Good player whos career has been blighted by injury which I suspect was the reason we was able to get him when we did!

I think he''d of been an excellent squad player this season had he stayed fit but you can understand him at this stage of his career in wanting to play regularly instead of benchwarming!

[quote user="kingsway"]

Good player whos career has been blighted by injury which I suspect was the reason we was able to get him when we did!

I think he''d of been an excellent squad player this season had he stayed fit but you can understand him at this stage of his career in wanting to play regularly instead of benchwarming!

[/quote]Inclined to agree with that.

I am with TIL1010 on this, CH certainly didnt make a mistake moving Vaughan on and as we are beginning to expect, he has made exceptional signings in replacement forwards, players that at this early stage we can safely say are better.

That said, surely everyone on here who saw him play will not be surprised that a fit Vaughan would notch at the level he is playing currently, he is a good player, we have just moved on a level, which in itself is a remarkable achievement. 

noonecares

theres a sad little group that cling on to former players that never really did anything for the club like they are the next ronaldo and city made a huge mistake letting them goits a bit pathetic, vaughan is not very good, he wasnt very good at norwich, and ill happily bet you 100£ that before too long he takes a knock (yet again) and is out injured for 3 months. get over it, we didnt want him cause hes sh1t3

pete should add a sub forum entitled pacheco,mcdonald,vaughan & butterfield where ''what might have been'' clan can argue with each other over which former canaries that werent nowhere good enough can pat each other on the back every time they score in league 1

We''ve moved on to a player that is superior to Vaughan in quality.

with the exception of becchio, would it of been a shock if any of our remaining 3 strikers joined a top 6 team instead of us? to clarify - RVW, Hooper, Elmander. - I don''t think so.

would it be a shock if Vaughan was bought by a top 6 side? Hell to the yes, that club would quite possibly be a laughing stock.