Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

Who wanted Holloway in charge?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11706/8912143/premier-league-ian-holloway-admits-transfer-madness-at-crystal-palace+ He''s already picked himself up a 2 match ban.He''s hilarious and seems a real nice bloke... but I wouldn''t want him anywhere near our football club

Hands up time, either him or McCarthy were my two choices.............McCarthy still is btw![Y]

I smiled when I read the subject.........that''s what I tend to do whenever Ian Holloway is mentioned............BUT, whilst he wasnt my first choice, I too must confess, he was on my list when we were looking for a replacement for BG and PL, he certainly knows how to get out of the Chumpionship, but I feel he will only be in it again for just one season. Now though, I wouldnt have him on my list.......nor would I have Mick McCarthy, rate him highly though, BUT Wiz.....he has now been soiled forever by managing the mess of a club down the road and should certainly be on the black list of Managers we should never consider, slightly tongue in check, but it would be difficult for anyone to move from them to us, plus its a huge step up! 

I think Ipswich did well to get Mick. He''s an experienced manager and is pretty decent on his day. With a capable squad he would get Ipswich into the play offs.Unfortunately their team is dire so it will be another season of mid-table obscurity

This makes me glad we have McNally, since he''s arrived at this football club we''ve conducted our transfer dealings early and professionally. This is why it''s important to always be looking at players to potentially buy long before the window is open. When we came up into the Premier League we did the majority of our business before the start of August, so I don''t understand Holloways point, their list of potential targets must have been unrealistic (bit like Man Uniteds).

Hughton and Norwich seem to be the perfect fit and McNally said he was our first choice. It seems the board had already set out a contingency plan for when Lambert left.I wonder who they''ve got in mind if Hughton leaves us ? 

I didn''t. He''s an embarrassment, and an excellent way to turn the club you support into a national joke overnight.

The key phrase is -

" the kind of due diligence on new players as the rest of the division "

Something that is constantly ignored by any number of dimwits who, when seeing a player is unwanted elsewhere, will squeak up on here with

''he could do a job for us''.

Whereas wjhen we first came up the club were talking about who they would be looking to sign the following January. And I don''t doubt that forward looking is still happening at CR. And i don''t doubt either it will include an enormous amount of ''due diligance''.

I''m not so sure either if Holloway''s comments are not more a reflection of Crystal Palace, and the circumstances of their ''unexpected'' promotion as they strike me as a club making up stuff on the hoof. Perhaps McNally''s previous experience with Celtic and Fulham guided us through the transition from the Championshi[p to the PL.

If things are as shambolic at Palace as Holloway suggests it doesn''t bode well for the future- and maybe the best he can hope for is to get those ''unwanted'' players out on loan and away from being a source discontent at the club.

Otherwise I expect a few more gripes from Holloway, as the media will know he is always good for a story. Maybe it might be better for him if he was to leave the after match comments to someone else in the club and concentrate on keeping Palace up. Presuming he is not contractually required to speak to the media.

And no, I never wanted him before and nothing suggests that he would be suited to our club now.

I might have to try and find the old thread where it was discussed, I can''t actually remember who I wanted at the time.I know it wasn''t Holloway lol.

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/3/2732436/ShowPost.aspx#2732436

there you go, Morty.[/quote]I almost daren''t look lol.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]morty said: Yay, I said Hughton

I think I was named Poyet or Di Canio on the WOTB.... very happy we gave Di Canio a miss I think.[/quote]
Yeah me too. Just goes to show that great players don''t always make great managers. I still expect Sunderland to implode given all the new recruits. Its funny how it only feels like 5 minutes ago I was watching Poyet, Di Canio, Malky, Ince, and Zola (unfortunately I was at the bridge when he scored that corner with the inside of his boot against us in the cup) play.
And its curious that some of those footballers were world class, but Malky seems the most accomplished and well put together manager from that bunch at present.

I wanted Holloway.

I thought Grant would be a good appointment and was convinced Brellier was a good signing. At this rate I''m going to stop paying attention to anything I say.

Doh!